Wissy Poker Run- Mtbr.com

Thread: Wissy Poker Run

Respect Your Trails

Wissy Poker Run

Any word on another Poker Run this year? Last year's was a great time. I know J.A.R. was basically ran the whole thing last year. And they were able to get some awesome sponsors and donations for swag, photos of the event, etc. I'm pretty sure the ride raised a good chunk of change for the FOW and put a positive spin on the mt. bike community and the park. I'd be right there to sign up if another one is happening this year.

Thanks.

Mar 2004
    Just bumping this guy back to the top. I thought it was a great ride as well and want to make sure it gets on my schedule.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I talked to a female racer last year at one of the MASS races that did some of the leg work for the Wissa Poker Run. I a nutshell I don't think it's gonna happen again, but I hope I'm wrong. Just from talking to her they had one hell of a time getting everything squared away for last year alone. Sounded like the biggest pain was dealing with the park people for the ok.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by justalittlepup
    I talked to a female racer last year at one of the MASS races that did some of the leg work for the Wissa Poker Run. I a nutshell I don't think it's gonna happen again, but I hope I'm wrong. Just from talking to her they had one hell of a time getting everything squared away for last year alone. Sounded like the biggest pain was dealing with the park people for the ok.
    Wrong. Did she have red hair?

Here's the deal. There were several of us who put the PR together. What looked like a big production, was handled by five people on the back end - me included. Yes, we got volunteers the day of, but all the leg work was a huge undertaking. Most of the swag that was given out was donated by many companies. The surly stuff, kids stuff, t-shirts, Victory Brewing gear, maxxis, kenda, etc. was mostly the result of my begging. The donations, license, dealing with the locals was mainly the work of "that" girl. The person who took the credit for it and didn't recognize anyone else other than his ego, is the reason none of the originals want to do it this year. The egomaniac was so nuts he had the nerve to change the letter "that" girl wrote about the event. She was the one originally in charge, but the egomaniac would not let her take the credit.

A few people donated a lot of time, energy, and money. While we didn't need a public praise, a simple thank you from the "club" leader would have been nice. The event raised nearly $7,000 which took almost six months to present to the FOW. The only reason it went to them was because the "club" that organized it was not incorporated as a non-profit (actually not incorporated at all).

The lastest I heard was that another person was talked into trying to oragnize something this year. However, it is very late in the game with race season and other poker runs (DTS) being run. Additionally, you have to ask this year to get swag for next year. It's not easy.

Freshly Fujified

Bummer

Sounds like a good idea gone bad....or gone to someone's head. If your account of the events is even close to being accurate, it's a shame that people lost sight of what the event was supposed to be for. perhaps whomever was asked to step up can begin the process of planning for an '07 event.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Mar 2004
    Amen. It was one of the most enjoyable mountain bike rides I've been on. If it's any consolation we, we being everyone I talked with who rode, appreciated the work that you guys did. As far as the ride went I don't think there was any doubt that "she" (Is there a reason we aren't using her name?) was in charge. She was there when I started my ride, and introduced herself when I finished.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Sounds like a good idea gone bad....or gone to someone's head. If your account of the events is even close to being accurate, it's a shame that people lost sight of what the event was supposed to be for. perhaps whomever was asked to step up can begin the process of planning for an '07 event.

Bob

I know the person who was asked and he is a very down to earth and honest guy. As long as the egomaniac doesn't get involved he just may be able to gather people to help. If they find out egomaniac is part of it, that will surely effect the number of volunteers. This new person is actively involved with "Trips for Kids" in Philly.

You can PM me if you want his phone or email address.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by MonolithicX
    Amen. It was one of the most enjoyable mountain bike rides I've been on. If it's any consolation we, we being everyone I talked with who rode, appreciated the work that you guys did. As far as the ride went I don't think there was any doubt that "she" (Is there a reason we aren't using her name?) was in charge. She was there when I started my ride, and introduced herself when I finished.
    I try not to mention names when I haven't asked them to do so. But if you mean Andrea, yes she was the driving force behind that event.

I know the riders appreciated it. It was done for a good cause and that's what it's all about. What happened within the "group" was what soured people. I am sure it can be done again, there just needs to be a clear understanding of "who is in charge".

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Wrong. Did she have red hair?
    That be the one. Thanks for clearing that up and sorry if I confused anyone with my second had info.

Respect Your Trails
    Its a shame there were so many complications on "the inside" of the event. As a participant, everything seemed to run very smoothly and turned out to be positive for our representation in the park. Well, such is politics when money, donations, sponsors and event planning go into something like that...even if it is just for a simple, fun sport like riding a bike on a dirt trail.

Thanks for doing a little research to answer my question. Maybe something else will spring up in the near future. I'd like to help out in any way possible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    that ride was awesome and you guys seriously gave away SOOOO much stuff, it is a shame that one persons ego can destroy all that... you guys did great work!

post up here if it does go off, i live real close and could definitley help out setting up and/or tearing down.

Trail eater
    [QUOTE=max-a-mill]that ride was awesome and you guys seriously gave away SOOOO much stuff QUOTE]

I agree also. It was a fun day and my very first poker run. From an outsider point of view it appeared to go pretty smoothly. the trails and competitors/riders were all layed out real nice. I would do it again in a flash if were to be on again this year or even next year. Knowing how the event is setup and that its not a competitive one, I will bring friends with me to enjoy a beaut part of philadelphia situated only a stones throw from center city.
    Lets keep our fingers crossed
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

Members who have read this thread: 0