Wissakon Conditions- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    meh?

Wissakon Conditions

Last week they were terrible. Well, a good mile of the trails at the southern end near Hermit Lane were terrible. There was an inch+ thick sheet of ice over the entire trail; completely unrideable. I'm just wondering if anyone's ridden them this week. Most of the snow around town has melted, but since the temps are dropping this weekend I was kind of figuring the trails would be ridable, not sloppy.

Additionally, if anyone knows of any resources for this sort of information, please educate me.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

bigger than you.
    as of today, they're still icy.

meh?

Wissakon Conditions

Crap. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapadapabapadoo-op
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I rode.... Errrrr.... Did a hiking/riding biathlon yesterday. Some areas are ridable, but be prepared to get off and walk. Ice in a lot of spots is very slick even to walk.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    As everyone has said... ice with a growing number of clear sections, but to get to the clear sections you'll most likely hit the ice. Even with studs on 2/14 it was tough going, but there was a lot more exposed trail than a week ago. Who knows now with the new snow later that day.

edit:

2/14 Conditions Vid:

Last edited by RepoMan2112; 02-15-2015 at 06:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    5 inches of super fluffy powder hiding the ice will make the Wiss a deathtrap on wheels. Good luck and let me know how it is!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Anyone been down to Wiss this week? I know most of that fluffy snow we got the other day has melted off my yard. Wondering how the trails are. Hoping to find a place to ride singletrack this weekend

bigger than you.
    the snow fell over an icy base, so there's that to contend with.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I did a trail run with my dog on Saturday during the snow fall (late morning/lunch time) and it was insanely dangerous. Very sketchy in too many sections. I ran about 7 miles, but it was more skating and slip-n-slide in a lot of sections. The fresh powder hid all the ice. I followed someone’s tire tracks on the backside of the stables, at Kitchen's Lane, and I can imagine the pucker factor coming down the trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ugh...bummer. Thanks guys

I quit e-MTBR
    Hard to imagine the Wiss being rideable again any time soon. It's not icy trails now, it's trailsy ice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yup, Eastern side from Mt Airy to Rittenhouse town is a mess. Must have been a lot of hikers out just after the snow when it was warm. Now it's just a field of icy foot prints that are several inches deep.

Go Big or Die Tryin'
    Any updates for the weekend? Is it fat bike-able?
    Slugs love beer.

bigger than you.
    i would say no.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I just saw some pics of guys out riding this morning and they all had studded tires. I live by the Wiss and have been avoided it like the plague when going for a run early mornings. The trails are a frozen mess. Let's all pray that when the thaw comes that we get a solid week of wind to dry them out!

I quit e-MTBR
    100% unrideable without studs. Imagine riding down the middle of a frozen creek, except instead of smooth ice it's all frozen, deep bootprints. I don't think that's a very fun riding experience with studs, either. There were no tire tracks at all in the part of the park where I hiked earlier this week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Goddamned hikers and their boots and lack of respect for the trails! That's it, I am writing a letter to the Chestnut Hill Local!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Haha.

mtbr member
    It finally looks like the thaw has come. I noticed that the trail are now free of snow and ice. It is just a matter of time till the trees wake up and dry the trails out!
    It is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Guy I work with lives in Mt Airy and was out walking in the park on Sunday, he said the mud wasn't as bad as you would think. I am hoping that it won't be too long to dry out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Depending on how the weather pans out this week, we could see a good bit of drying. My back yard is mushy in some spots and tacky in others.

All the low spots in the Wiss that are typical of being water logged are still going to be mushy. Rain on Friday is going to make it messy again.

It's so close that the anticipation of spring riding feels like being a little child on Christmas Eve.

I'll try to get out for a trail run tomorrow morning with the dog and give a conditions report.

bigger than you.
    I've seen some pictures, it seems that not everyone is restraining themselves and it appears that the usual suspects have been out riding and screwing things up...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Was out walking the dog on the Creshiem trail this afternoon. Some areas are dry and firm, some are still a bit tacky but drying really well, but there are still some water logged areas. The usual low spots were soggy, along with other unusual areas that must have seen a lot of storm water run off. A little more time will definitely help

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    wiss is funny in that it can be 90 % great but the 10% that isn't is [email protected] horrible...

people then use this as an excuse to ride (i'd guess) because most of the park is fine. problem is it makes the 10% of already horrible spots even worse and they keep taking longer and longer to dry (which of course people never wait for, which then makes them even worse). finally they need to do trail maintenance to fix those areas that would probably be OK if people just gave the park (or even just these areas specifically) a little time to recuperate when it needs it.

i am thinking thursday would be the day to check it out. all the drying that can possibly happen before the rain/snow friday screws it all up again.

so if you do go out, like i probably will thursday, and come across a section of horrible soft mud please get off your bike and walk it. you'll be doing yourself and everyone else a favor in helping the trails dry faster in the future by not making the ruts even bigger.

it's spring; if you're serious about riding through the spring you need a road bike or the determination to drag the mtb out on the paved paths and roads in the area (yes, it sucks i agree, but it is still better than no riding or worse yet [email protected] up the trails because you can't be patient). got 45 miles in; mostly in the dark last night. like i said not my favorite biking (much better with a like-minded friend or two for sure; personally i'd never do it alone) but those painful early season miles do feel great in the legs when the dirt finally does dry and it is warm and nice...

mtbr member
    Well, with the all the snow that's being predicted Friday, there might be a chance for one last hurrah Saturday morning on the fatbike!
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

meh?
    Rode it a few hours ago... It's not great....

2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Map204 View Post
    Rode it a few hours ago... It's not great....

LOL why would you even bother? My lawn is soaking wet still.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

meh?
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    LOL why would you even bother? My lawn is soaking wet still.
    Over excited, under stimulated, thought the place drained much quicker ... I felt like Julie Andrews in the sound of music for most of last week... Just wanted to spin around in a field with my hands in the air...

2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

meh?
    To be clear, I rode a dry-ish section then got off when it turned sloppy. Didn't damage too much.

2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I rode 3 times in the past 2 week

Last Monday - Best day yet low 60's temp so muddy in places but was able to ride about 3/4 of the trails.

Sunday - Rode 2 hours and the trails were terrible. 80% covered in ice, so alot of slow riding and terribly dirty and wet afterwards.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Sunday was 80% Ice, terrible riding conditions.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Averbuks View Post
    I rode 3 times in the past 2 week

Last Monday - Best day yet low 60's temp so muddy in places but was able to ride about 3/4 of the trails.

Sunday - Rode 2 hours and the trails were terrible. 80% covered in ice, so alot of slow riding and terribly dirty and wet afterwards.
    That's a serious douche move to ride in those conditions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    That's a serious douche move to ride in those conditions.
    We only actually rode the dry areas. The mud and nastiness was all from being on forbidden drive.

I quit e-MTBR
    Update as of Wednesday morning (moot if we get significant rain):

South: no-go.
    North, Indian side: marginal. Soft in spots. Many would consider it ok to ride.
    Monster & meadows: no-go. Meadows surprisingly sloppy.
    Cresheim: no-go.

Some snow in shaded spots, but no ice. The real issue is mud. Patience advised.

And in trail news, watch out in the s-turns in the meadow, just below the hockey rink. There are several new logs there placed so that their ends butt right against the edge of the trail. These will be fun for experts to jump, nice and stable due to being fixed in place with rebar, and so will encourage high-speed jackassery through that section (which presumably was not Trail Genius's intent). But they will be nasty surprise pedal-clippers or bone re-arrangers for less-skilled riders (and thus liability-magnets for Trail Genius, I'd guess. If a highway department thought traffic was too fast on a particular section of road, and responded by deliberately making that section more dangerous, to try to force drivers to slow down, like by placing dumpsters in the shoulder in the turns, they would be sued into the Stone Age. I'm not aware of any reason that strategy would be more humorous to jurors when applied to public trails.) Heads up.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    We only actually rode the dry areas. The mud and nastiness was all from being on forbidden drive.
    You said you rode it now you say you didn't. Ok

mtbr member
    Do you ride a fixie? 'Cause that's some seriously awesome backpedaling.

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week! Don't forget to tip your waitress.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    And in trail news, watch out in the s-turns in the meadow, just below the hockey rink. There are several new logs there placed so that their ends butt right against the edge of the trail. These will be fun for experts to jump, nice and stable due to being fixed in place with rebar, and so will encourage high-speed jackassery through that section (which presumably was not Trail Genius's intent). But they will be nasty surprise pedal-clippers or bone re-arrangers for less-skilled riders (and thus liability-magnets for Trail Genius, I'd guess. If a highway department thought traffic was too fast on a particular section of road, and responded by deliberately making that section more dangerous, to try to force drivers to slow down, like by placing dumpsters in the shoulder in the turns, they would be sued into the Stone Age. I'm not aware of any reason that strategy would be more humorous to jurors when applied to public trails.) Heads up.
    haven't seen the new logs but i am guessing they are just replacing the same ol logs that someone keeps puling out. regardless of how you feel it impacts the flow of the trail there that is right next to both the horse stables and a big pedestrian access spot from the playground so not the best spot to be practicing roosting your sweet freeride style drift turns anyhow. those logs are as much to slow folks down as they are to stop people from making the trail a 6' wide erosion gully in that section. may not be the funnest to ride in this section in this condition but i think that is kind of the point; to force the speeds down a little. if you're headed south you get one of the best speed/flow sections in the entire park immediately after that anyhow so it is not like you're going slow for too long.

i checked the conditions up in the meadow wednesday as well and it was pretty terrible still. unless you get out early this weekend while it is still frozen your gonna be fahkin up the trails if you try to ride this weekend. there will be good conditions again very soon but this weekend is still too soon i am afraid.

I quit e-MTBR
    Yeah, I agree that's the goal, I'm just questioning whether this is the way to do it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    do you have a better idea for that area? i do know some people who know people... ;-)

I quit e-MTBR
    I'm not claiming to be a trail designer. I'm not one. I expressed my opinion before about why those logs are ill-conceived, because it won't slow down fast riders and it will be dangerous to less-confident riders. (Until they get ripped out because they're perceived as a middle-finger to mountain bikers. I'm not endorsing or encouraging, just predicting.)

IMBA's Trail Solutions talks about using choke points to control speed, but it says: "Make sure the narrowing flows naturally with the trail. Otherwise people may find it annoying and may create a new route around it." It also says, "Gradual transitions are essential between changes in trail flow." Flows naturally, gradual transitions: not exactly how Trail Genius approached things here.

I personally think the main issue there is sightlines, not speed. Every year the weeds are allowed to grow up the trail at the intersection below the s-curves. Keeping those sightlines clear will do a lot more to increase safety and reduce conflict than trying to retrofit in dangerous curves, IMO.

mtbr member
    Trails in great shape this morning with the overnight freeze. By midday, they might be soft but not too bad. There will be soft spots where the ice will melt.
    2017 XL Santa Cruz Tallboy

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Anyone ride wiss the past few days? I know we are getting a little rain Friday, but I was hoping to head out Sunday sometime if it is dry enough.

I quit e-MTBR
    They're good to go in my opinion. The meadow and Cresheim are the only areas I'd still avoid.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I was out on Monday afternoon this week. Rode Rock Vegas to Bells, then did the Indian side from Bells to VGI, that was all good. Did the Rox side behind VGI, that was good too. I heard the bottom half of the Mt Airy side(Lincoln to Kitchens) was sketchy, so I avoided that. Went over the creek and through the Kitchens parking lot and did that to the cresheim creek crossing, and it was great. Then went up Mother, but had also heard the meadows were bad, so didn't go up to the meadows, I did the bypass that dumps you at the top of the monster. That section was great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

WissAHICKON

Am I the only one this title (Wissakon Conditions) drives crazy ?

Would it be possible for the OP (or anyone) to spell Wissahickon properly, or at least change it to Wiss in the title ?
    don't tell me, "Show Me " !

meh?
    Quote Originally Posted by jp08865 View Post
    Am I the only one this title (Wissakon Conditions) drives crazy ?

Would it be possible for the OP (or anyone) to spell Wissahickon properly, or at least change it to Wiss in the title ?
    I had know idea I did that. Yes, I know how to spell Wissahickon. No, I can't change it.

2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Even the meadows section was fine today. Still the odd puddle around, but as others have stated, it's good to go. Sunday will probably be great.

meh?
    Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan2112 View Post
    Even the meadows section was fine today. Still the odd puddle around, but as others have stated, it's good to go. Sunday will probably be great.
    This is great news!!! ...I'm giving it more time just based on the mess that it was before.

2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Wiss is open for business. It was awesome today. Even the trouble normal trouble spots were in good shape.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Was there yesterday too. The meadows trail has been destroyed by the horse morons. Millions of hoof divots.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Coming from Northeast Philly tomorrow for my first time at the Wis....
    Please recommend a safe place to park and the preferred ride direction (clockwise vs counterclockwise).

Thanks Folks!!

BTW...those damn horses.

I quit e-MTBR
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldberm View Post
    Coming from Northeast Philly tomorrow for my first time at the Wis....
    Please recommend a safe place to park and the preferred ride direction (clockwise vs counterclockwise).

Thanks Folks!!

BTW...those damn horses.
    Pachella Field (6839 Henry Ave) is as good a spot as any to park. Or Blue Bell Park if that's closer for you. Or one of the parking lots on Bells' Mill Rd near Forbidden Dr., but I don't really know if break-ins are an issue there. They are an issue in the lots near Valley Green Inn, although regulars park there all the time anyway. There's no magic to it, there are a dozen places you could park.

Either direction works but counter-clockwise is more common.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yea the horse divots made the meadows a bit bumpy, but I recall that happening after last winter too, and they smoothed out after a couple weeks in the spring.

And I have heard of break-ins at the bells mills lots. I usually park in Chestnut Hill somewhere, but also at Northwestern ave sometimes.

First minute or two is from the meadows:

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Really depends. Break-ins have tended to come in waves over the years. I agree that the best spots are the upper portions of the trails in active residential areas (as Ash mentioned). I ride down to the Wiss and don't have to deal with parking, but it does give you that one last climb after your ride.

Valley Green Inn (lower parking lot) and Northwestern Avenue when active are probably the best bets in the park if parking is not full, although there was a string of break ins last year at Northwestern at peak times from what I remember. If you do, be smart and don't leave anything in sight or be obvious when parking that you have items in your car. Leave your wallet at home and just bring a license, CC and some cash.

meh?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash216 View Post
    Yea the horse divots made the meadows a bit bumpy, but I recall that happening after last winter too, and they smoothed out after a couple weeks in the spring.

And I have heard of break-ins at the bells mills lots. I usually park in Chestnut Hill somewhere, but also at Northwestern ave sometimes.

First minute or two is from the meadows:

This a good video. I don't recognize the second clip, the technical descent? Where is that?

2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

I quit e-MTBR
    Quote Originally Posted by Map204 View Post
    This a good video. I don't recognize the second clip, the technical descent? Where is that?

That's the last down before climbing Indian, clockwise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That's the last down before climbing Indian, clockwise.
    Yep... that's the stuff...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jim93 View Post
    Really depends. Break-ins have tended to come in waves over the years. I agree that the best spots are the upper portions of the trails in active residential areas (as Ash mentioned). I ride down to the Wiss and don't have to deal with parking, but it does give you that one last climb after your ride.

Valley Green Inn (lower parking lot) and Northwestern Avenue when active are probably the best bets in the park if parking is not full, although there was a string of break ins last year at Northwestern at peak times from what I remember. If you do, be smart and don't leave anything in sight or be obvious when parking that you have items in your car. Leave your wallet at home and just bring a license, CC and some cash.
    Agreed with Northwestern Avenue but VGI has changed. There were lots of break in last summer at VGI. What was crazy is that they happened early in the morning (6 to 630 am). Nothing usually taken, just a bunch of stupid kids most likely. I personally have had my car broken into twice at VGI. I talked to the cop and he mentioned that there had been lots (5-10) break in already. This was early July last summer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nice vid! Here's my angle from the same ride. Watch out for the new sinkhole in the meadows at :36 where a tree fell over.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    So rode the Wis this afternoon for the first time. Thanks everyone for your advice on parking and maps. I parked at the Bluebell lot. I rode a figure 8 like some have suggested. I rode about 85% of the entire loop until I was too exhausted to continue!

The weather was perfect. I started at about 10:30 and didn't run into any real trail traffic until about 1pm, then it seemed like the entire city decided to come out.

Great conditions as you all know by now.

bigger than you.
    I'd like to tip my helmet to the douche in the blue jersey and beard who i came across going CW (him) near summit. the guy skidded through every corner and from what i hear, nearly took out a 10 year-old kid. That takes talent, really effing enduro, man...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Cool, good to hear!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Here is a video I mad last year as well. Its to long though. Next time I make one it will be about 4 minutes shorter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Anyone looking to ride Sat or Sunday? The weather is supposed to be nice but not sure about the trail conditions with all the rain we have gotten.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    if you have the choice; i'd go sunday.

saturday may be OK depending on how bad storms are friday but there is a good chance it will still be muddy if we get decent storms.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I live pretty close to the park and we have not gotten as much actual rain in the past two days as I thought we would. Depending on how tomorrow goes, I agree with Max... Saturday might be OK, Sunday is probably pretty safe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Rode most of the mount airy section this morning. Conditions were good. A few small puddles. Someone cut out the trees across the trail in the part few days.

Was utterly confused by the fence at cresheim creek, I guess you're just supposed to ride around it. I took the social trail downstream and ended up at devil's pool and hiked across and up back to the main trail.

Blazes are funny, I saw a few on obviously decommissioned trails. And an orange one on a dodgy climb out of devils pool, must have been a better path once.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Conditions were flat out awesome yesterday.

Not sure what fence you mean at the creek crossing... that section seems to be the same as it always is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    days like yesterday are totally what you wait for after a long sucky winter... awesome, just awesome!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    yesterday i went back to cresheim creek. you're right, that fence has been there a while. but maybe the social trail down stream hasn't been, and there wasn't a double blaze (which means 'turn') that I saw, so I went straight onto the social trail when the obvious trail was blocked.

This time I turned right on the CH side of the creek and followed it upstream to Germantown Ave. Some of those places I've never been, some I haven't been in since the time they were rebuilding the high bridges in the 80's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Anyone looking to ride Tomorrow morning?

mtbr member
    Up in Upper Bucks we got, like, no rain out of yesterday's front but I know a lot of places in the Jerz got hammered. Wiss OK?

I quit e-MTBR
    The Wiss got brief but heavy rain yesterday evening. Reportedly some new downed trees and the "trail itself is moist but not saturated, slippery rocks, but mainly passable."

Some don't ride the Wiss in such conditions, some do.

mtbr member
    The Wiss got brief but heavy rain yesterday evening. Reportedly some new downed trees and the "trail itself is moist but not saturated, slippery rocks, but mainly passable."

Some don't ride the Wiss in such conditions, some do.
    Thanks dude. I'm planning to hit it tomorrow morning so, should be good by then.

mtbr member
    Still some big trees down. Hopefully it's cleared soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stunnerable View Post
    Still some big trees down. Hopefully it's cleared soon.

Did you ride this morning?

mtbr member
    Last night.

mtbr member
    So much for riding this weekend. Terrible weather.

mtbr member
    I know.. It's got to be mud stew out there now. I'm hoping it will be dried enough by tomorrow evening.

mtbr member
    I'm going to check it out Tuesday evening and hope to get a decent ride in. Looks like more rain Wed - Sat...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    When I was out on Friday, there were many very large trees down. Particularly on the stretch on the Rox side behind VGI between Wises and Hermit. There were at least 4 big ones down. And I mean really big ones.... like tough to even climb over carrying your bike. I am sure more came down on Saturday.

mtbr member
    Yeah I climbed those trees as well. Hopefully FOW gets on it soon.

bigger than you.
    Chuck, Kenn & Dan from FOW were out Saturday clearing trees.

mtbr member
    Good men!

mtbr member
    Chuck, Kenn & Dan from FOW were out Saturday clearing trees.
    I'm hoping before the rain.

bigger than you.

mtbr member
    Conditions weren't that bad this evening. The big trees still aren't cleared but the section "the real DH" is more cleared than it was. You have to slow down tad as opposed to having to basically hike your bike through a downed tree. There were a few new trees down which was surprising.

Down from demo to widow maker on the whoops section there are some pretty bad ruts being built up from the water pooling right in front of each little jump that I hope fixes itself. Other than that it was very good and sticky conditions. Lots O grip!

mtbr member
    Is there a map that has the section names of it somewhere?

mtbr member
    I'm guessing we'll need a whole new update. This Summer has been sucking my balls.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    We pretty much avoided the afternoon storms yesterday, but got hit by the 2AM storm. rained pretty good with that one. I would say today is definitely a no-go.

Hopefully we will get a break from the "inch of rain storms every other day" cycle.

mtbr member
    Ugh.. I am so sick of all this rain!!

Anyone think Wiss could be rideable this evening if it doesn't rain all day?

bigger than you.
    Ugh.. I am so sick of all this rain!!

Anyone think Wiss could be rideable this evening if it doesn't rain all day?

i'd say no. Tomorrow evening, maybe.

mtbr member
    We pretty much avoided the afternoon storms yesterday, but got hit by the 2AM storm. rained pretty good with that one. I would say today is definitely a no-go.

Hopefully we will get a break from the "inch of rain storms every other day" cycle.
    It's just been a ton of unstable weather for weeks or months. Usually you get the heat/humidity build up and then a cold front to push it out. We're not getting that at all, just stationary fronts hanging out in the area. I don't know if a weather geek can say if this is a el nino/la nina thing or what.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I rode last night around 6pm. The storm that came through after 5pm was just to the south so I tried a northern loop. The Cresheim trail down had water (as usual) but North of Valley Green was in great shape. Fairly dry with a few trees down that you could easily get over. As you went south of Valley Green it got progressively wetter and was soupy just before the Gorgas climb so I bailed there. Not sure how much it rained overnight, though.

bigger than you.
    That's seriously a jerk move to ride on wet trails, man.

mtbr member
    It rained really hard here last night, so I wouldn't advise riding today.

mtbr member
    Yes, when it rains, it absolutely buckets down. The Wiss generally drains well and the trees help to soak up lots of water but this summer has been very different. Too much rain and soggy trails. Not even fun for running.

mtbr member
    I agree. I never ride when it's too wet. I'm just hoping this rain becomes a little less frequent.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    That's seriously a jerk move to ride on wet trails, man.
    Nobody gives a crap. Well, I know a small minority does but it's just a few people apparently. But beyond that, why the F would you even want to? You can't go nearly as fast safely. You hit a spot of greasy mud going too fast and you might lose all your teeth on a rock. I just dont get this "need" to ride in slop.

mtbr member
    I think it's more of the "need" to ride.

bigger than you.
    I personally give a crap because I do trail work and I've seen first hand the damage caused by dĄcks and dirty juice-bags riding on wet trails: the expansion of mud puddles, widening of single track, and erosion that turns once sustainable trails into rutted, washed-out gullies. This all contributes to a broader perception amongst the wider public, who may already be predisposed against us, that mountain biking causes disproportionately more trail damage than other users. Furthermore, it gives them more ammunition to use against us to kick us off of trails. I get the "need to ride" as much as anyone, but seriously, for at least 24 hours after significant rainfall, stick to gravel or ride the roads, it's just not worth it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Nobody gives a crap. Well, I know a small minority does but it's just a few people apparently. But beyond that, why the F would you even want to? You can't go nearly as fast safely. You hit a spot of greasy mud going too fast and you might lose all your teeth on a rock. I just dont get this "need" to ride in slop.
    Agreed.I do try to avoid muddy trails. Even bailed on a race last weekend because it was wet.

The nasty boomer around 5ish did not hit the entire park. That Northern section was in great shape. I live just off the Wiss and was watching the storm. I totally expected not to ride, but when I noticed the storm was to the south and saw the sky opening up I went out to check it out, fully prepared to bail if the trails were not in good shape.

Yes, the section before I bailed started to show wet spots and the area surrounding the concrete bridge before the Gorgas climb looked soupy. It looked like it got a fair amount of rain there so I bailed down to forbidden drive.

mtbr member
    So Bells Mill to Gorgas should be fine today?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Doubtful since it rained a lot overnight

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The 2nd Storm that come through last night dumped buckets of water. I live a few blocks off the park it my back yard was soupy this morning. I rode yesterday morning (6am) and the trails were tacky and soft in the usual spots.

I'm riding tomorrow morning (6am) and will try to get out a trail update. Note, a lot of trees have come down since the chainsaw crews were out this past weekend. The golf coarse climb is blocked by a massive tree that did some serious damage to the surrounding landscape.

mtbr member
    Anyone ride today??

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Trails were in good shape today (solid, firm, just not dry and dusty of course) with only a few puddles where the water has collected. As mentioned earlier, the section behind VGI still has collected water on the upper sides of the upper jumps that is taking a while to dissipate. The lower jumps past the midway curve are dry. The only other trouble spot we came across is a large puddle on the first big right-hander you hit if you enter off Wise's heading south. Otherwise, the surface was solid. Even the newer stuff was solid (like the new bypass trail heading north towards the Kitchen's Lane section).

Sidenote: Lots of wood pilings/poles going in along the new trail parallel to the existing trail there. A crew with a bobcat was sinking some today. (?)

mtbr member
    Went out last night. Conditions were almost perfect. Tacky dirt with lots of grip. Only a few "damp" spots. It's amazing how quickly this place drains.

On a side note though; I despise this ********. At least this time it was in a tidy pile and not thrown into the woods. Wissakon Conditions-imageuploadedbytapatalk1435927899.553677.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Rode 1.8 miles into Blue Bell hill this afternoon and it was dry. Would have ridden longer but got a flat.

mtbr member
    I plan on riding this afternoon if the weather holds up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    We really need a nice dry stretch, this is getting ridiculous

mtbr member
    I've got to ride this evening as the next two days plus look very wet. Freaking rain!!

mtbr member

Wissakon Conditions

Rode about 8.5 miles yesterday evening and the trails were all in great shape. Found a couple downed trees still.

Overall, great ride before more rain this week.

mtbr member
    Same here. Think today might be the last good day until Friday. Thursday looks great but might still be too wet depending on how much rain we get the next two days.

mtbr member
    Just rode this morning and the trails were perfect. Only really rode around the monster side but the only soft patch I hit was some old horse poop. Otherwise, perfect trails. If you can, get out now before the rain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Just rode this morning and the trails were perfect. Only really rode around the monster side but the only soft patch I hit was some old horse poop. Otherwise, perfect trails. If you can, get out now before the rain.
    Thanks, will head out shortly after lunch....

mtbr member
    Anyone go out today? Is it rideable?

mtbr member
    It rained pretty hard briefly last night and then again early this morning (I live 0.5 miles from the trail). Might be ok. Unfortunately I can't make it out after work anyway tonight.

mtbr member
    Yeah the place dries out surprisingly quickly in most spots. I don't want to ride if it's damagingly wet.. But I want to ride!! lol

mtbr member
    It was pretty dry before the rain yesterday so it might be ok. I'll see how my yard is when I get home around 5 and I'll let you know.

mtbr member
    Awesome man thanks!

mtbr member
    Still a bit damp here.

mtbr member
    Yeah.. Ahhh!! This summer is way too wet!

mtbr member
    I'm hoping to go out tomorrow after work.

mtbr member
    I'm going to chance it. If it's too wet I'll let you know.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It just poured again, at least in Narberth it did.

mtbr member
    I went out for a short trip just before the storm. It was mainly damp but not soaked. It was rideable but you had to be careful in some spots not to add to the erosion and ruts. I got out of there just in time. Nasty nasty storm!

mtbr member
    Up 309 in Montgomeryville, we actually did not get nearly as much rain as I had feared. How about down in Philly?

mtbr member
    Seemed to me like the storm rolled straight down the turnpike. It was like driving into a wall of water.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I live on the Roxborough side, a couple blocks from the Jeanette entrance, and we got pounded last night.

mtbr member
    Is anyone planning to go today? At least for a walk? I'm curious how the trails fared.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I did a 7 am dawn patrol and the trails where good to go for the most part. With all the rain we've had over the past few weeks, the trails are not absorbing the water like they do in early spring. At this point they're acting like a channel. Lots of run off, but the trails are packed down hard. Usual sloppy spots, but all in all I was expecting to bail as soon as I entered the woods. Got in 10.5 miles before heading to work.

mtbr member
    So a morning ride tomorrow is going to happen! Yeay!

mtbr member
    Yeah, you should be good for a ride tomorrow morning. My yard is completely dry here and it's not really humid today.

Anyone in here ride downhill at Blue Mountain?

mtbr member
    No but I want to.

mtbr member
    I think I'm going to go up for the first time on the 25th (earliest I have time to go).

mtbr member
    Pretty sure my ex8 isn't enough bike for that place. lol

mtbr member
    You can rent a giant glory.

I have a genius lt with 180 cm in both shocks. Not completely a downhill bike, but it'll handle mostly everything

mtbr member
    I've been toying with the idea of a trip to Bear Creek in NJ too. The YouTube videos look freaking awesome!!

So I went out for a ride this evening. The conditions were just about perfect but I was not. I had to bail about 1 mile into my ride as I felt like I was operating at 10%. Just no energy and very lightheaded. Ugh.. Sucks.

mtbr member
    Are there any good jump sections around that I'm missing?

mtbr member
    Depends on what you consider "jumps". There used to be the really cool natural bowl I remember for 10+ years ago but for the life of me I can't find it now. The downhill flowing toward Philadelphia behind VGI has jumps but I'd much more consider them woops.

mtbr member
    I would consider those bumps, not jumps

Haha, well at least I'm not missing a hidden section.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Depends on what you consider "jumps". There used to be the really cool natural bowl I remember for 10+ years ago but for the life of me I can't find it now. The downhill flowing toward Philadelphia behind VGI has jumps but I'd much more consider them woops.

You can't find it for the life of you because they're all gone. They were behind the park off of henry/hermit ave, but got plowed by the city probably 3 or 4 years ago now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonezed7 View Post

There's not any designated jump trail anywhere in the wiss. There are definitely features on some trails that can be ridden as jumps or drops, but nothing specifically designed as such. The log ride and rock roll on the 'new' section of trail below livezy pavilion heading south is a step in the right direction in regards to creating MTB specific features, but there's still a long way to go. Hopefully we start seeing more stuff like that popping up in the future.

mtbr member
    Yeah I'd really love to see a few decent sized tabletops or something so you can roll over them if you don't want to jump them. Safe and fun for everyone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by justo8484 View Post
    You can't find it for the life of you because they're all gone. They were behind the park off of henry/hermit ave, but got plowed by the city probably 3 or 4 years ago now?

For what it is worth, the bowl is still there. My son and I were just out there riding about 3 weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Quote Originally Posted by scoon View Post
    For what it is worth, the bowl is still there. My son and I were just out there riding about 3 weeks ago.
    Still there, yes. The jumps that used to be there are not.

mtbr member
    Where is the bowl exactly?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hey Mods - can we get this thread re-titled to "Wissahickon conditions"? Maybe it's just my OCD, but "Wissakon" is getting to me. If not the full name, how about "Wiss"?

The bowl is down at the south end of the park near Hermits Lane. The trail up to it may or may not be evident, depending on use and/or trimming... best chance finding it is with somebody who knows.

mtbr member
    Or Wissahickon Discussion.

Hmmm, not sure how I missed it... Anyone have a picture?

Wissakon Conditions-imageuploadedbytapatalk1436987360.741164.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    It's not on the main trail near no 4 in your map. There is a trail that goes off to the right as you begin descending towards the paved trail along the creek. The trail to the bowl is usually a bit overgrown and easy to miss if you're going fast.
    If you look for the baseball fields near Quentin or Vicaris on google earth you'll have a better idea. The bowl is to the east/right of the fields...

mtbr member
    Oh, so it's on the right if you're going down that awesome descent? Probably why I missed it.

Thanks for the info. I'll look on google and see if I can find it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    It's hidden by trees and trails in that area weren't showing up when I clicked the bicycling option on google earth...
    It's between the ball fields and the fun descent that ends with the rocky section right at the paved trail - trail to access is near the top of the descent, off to the right.

mtbr member
    There are a lot of baseball fields around there, but I'm assuming this one?
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436989832.662847.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  77.5 KB

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Nope -
    Paste this into google maps:
    40.022416, -75.202912

mtbr member
    Oh, that field. Alright, I'll keep an eye out next time I'm there.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I remember it being very easy to find back in the day. lol

I need to find it again.

mtbr member
    Rode yesterday evening. My intention was to just go down to the trail and give a conditions update but it was about 98% dry. There were the typical mud spots, but the majority of the trail was great. I was surprised to see a lot of bikers out. I ended up riding about 8 miles.

The trails should be good for a nice Friday ride if anyone was wondering.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    most of them are staying closed but a couple of these stupid cut throughs keeps getting reopened (especially one going up to the meadow from cathedral).

someone else expresses my thoughts much better than I can verbalize them:
    velocb: Don't give me the Runaround

maybe some don't know??? whatever it is can we stop the madness? stay on the trail PLEASE!

this week should be awesome out there if you can take the heat! yesterday's ride was a good lesson in self preservation... an ice bottle in the back jersey pocket feels GOOD! gonna employ that technique again tonight fer sure.

I quit e-MTBR
    The runaround that galls me is at plymouth rock (that short rock up just before you pass the golf green), on the right. The first time I rode the Wiss, I thought that rock was literally impossible to ride up. But I quickly realized I was wrong, and, instead of cheating it, I worked on it.

mtbr member
    I agree. We have a difficult enough time trying to put a good name to the mtb community without these blind disregards to trail sustainability.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    this week should be awesome out there if you can take the heat! yesterday's ride was a good lesson in self preservation... an ice bottle in the back jersey pocket feels GOOD! gonna employ that technique again tonight fer sure.
    Careful with that. I crashed carrying a regular h2o bottle in my jersey pocket on memorial day weekend, I landed on it, broke ribs and didn't ride for almost the entire month of June. That sucked.

I quit e-MTBR

mtbr member
    Yeah I'd really love to see a few decent sized tabletops or something so you can roll over them if you don't want to jump them. Safe and fun for everyone.
    IMHO this is just never going to happen. We are not the primary users of the trail system and, even if we were, hikers and equestrians have at least as much clout as we do. Can you imagine what horses would do to tabletops? In all honesty, even if it were a branch off trail just for jumps, I could see them being monkey wrenched due to the fact that a bunch of guys getting air at the Wiss is the last thing the other user groups want to see. Again, just MHO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glorth2 View Post
    Can you imagine what horses would do to tabletops?
    Poop on them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    On last nights ride i found that in the last week sometime (since i last rode it) someone went through and removed most of the challenging rocks on the fisherman trail (chestnut hill side between bells mill and germantown)... what complete a-holes! that was the funnest rockgarden in the park but apparently too hard for some; so some dummy so they came along and sanitized it. I say I grow a thick skin but in all my years they hadn't ****ed with one of my favorite little challenges in the park. well now someone has. it is easy now (relatively).

some people want gnarly trails in the park; i just want the dummies to stop messing with what is there. please stop "fixing" what isn't broken to begin with.

mtbr member
    Well that's crap! What is it with everyone trying to Nerf the world. My God grow a pair!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hey come on it's dangerous for those fisherman walking out of the park on that trail after a 12 pack.

(trails are awesome right now BTW. Except that I almost died from the heat on Sunday)

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    On last nights ride i found that in the last week sometime (since i last rode it) someone went through and removed most of the challenging rocks on the fisherman trail (chestnut hill side between bells mill and germantown)... what complete a-holes! that was the funnest rockgarden in the park but apparently too hard for some; so some dummy so they came along and sanitized it. I say I grow a thick skin but in all my years they hadn't ****ed with one of my favorite little challenges in the park. well now someone has. it is easy now (relatively).

some people want gnarly trails in the park; i just want the dummies to stop messing with what is there. please stop "fixing" what isn't broken to begin with.
    That sucks! That trail was a great way to warm up on the way in and cool down on the way out. Many of those rocks were large - must have taken a good bit of effort.
    If you're looking for stuff like that, there are some sections in Neshaminy that are rocky. And if you need even more, go to Sourlands over in NJ.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hey come on it's dangerous for those fisherman walking out of the park on that trail after a 12 pack.

(trails are awesome right now BTW. Except that I almost died from the heat on Sunday)
    LOL Good point.

Too bad. I wonder where they went. I haven't seen it yet, but I assume (like others above) if it was some of the larger ones it was a lot of work and 1) involved machinery or 2) they were moved but they didn't go far. So if it's 2 and not legit maintenance, maybe they can go back. Again not having seen it, I'm just throwing ideas out.

That said, Rock Vegas will forever live in infamy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    larger (read hard to move) rocks are still there. someone moved the chunky movable stuff between the larger rocks . Not all of them either, but enough to make a relatively smooth path through the middle. It was pretty subtle work. I only realized it after i rode through and thought about how it was dramatically less challenging than the last time i rode it less than a week before. If you don't ride it often you probably wouldn't even notice except to think that it is somehow easy compared to the normal jumbled rocks in a couple of those sections. The new logover toward bells mill is excellent though; so it isn't all bad!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Interesting. In the end, the joke's probably on them. All it'll take is the Wiss to go over its banks there like it does and boom, reset button!

mtbr member

Wissakon Conditions

There are a few bypass sections that I would love to see marked for bikes only. I love horses, but honestly, I hate that they are on the trails with us. A 2,000lb animal stomping and crapping all over the trails is far worse than what any mountain bike can do. Plus.. Poop everywhere!
    The new pump sections above Gorgas is a perfect example.

mtbr member
    Yeah the pump sections are fun.

I think we can all agree the horse shit everywhere is annoying and disgusting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan2112 View Post
    Interesting. In the end, the joke's probably on them. All it'll take is the Wiss to go over its banks there like it does and boom, reset button!
    ha, true! also what i love about that section... every big rain it's a whole new challenge.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hello all -- I felt obligated to post here. Happy trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wissahickon View Post
    LOL!

Hey, maybe you would know "Wissohickon". What the heck is the tent at the top of Gorgas all about? It been there for a while!

mtbr member

That is the worst news ever. That is one of my favorite sections and I love ending a ride with that section. Who in gods name would do this and why? Why!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wissahickon View Post
    The trails are talking to us...

I quit e-MTBR
    At various points in your mountain biking career, even the brave and skilled among you will encounter a feature in the trail -- a fallen log, perhaps, or a tricky rock feature -- that you are unable to ride over. Often, that thing has been there for years, and some people are able to clear it, some not.

When you find yourself in this situation, the good people among you will walk it. The truly good will practice it, until they can clear it.

Those who cheat around something they can't get over are ninnies. Those who remove it are vile dipshits.

To the vile dispshits who just removed one long-enjoyed logover from the Cresheim loop, and who hacked away at another one to make it small enough that it no longer frightened them, I present you two enthusiastic middle fingers.

mtbr member
    Took my dogs for a hike this evening. Saw a few bikers out. The trail was way too wet to be riding today after the heavy rain last night. What a shame.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE
    some people want gnarly trails in the park; i just want the dummies to stop messing with what is there. please stop "fixing" what isn't broken to begin with.[/QUOTE]

So, there are a couple of other spots like this now as well. I think we all agree. For the trails that are already good - don't mess with them. But that is not going to happen. Every trail is being "improved". Get ready.

bigger than you.
    To the vile dispshits who just removed one long-enjoyed logover from the Cresheim loop, and who hacked away at another one to make it small enough that it no longer frightened them, I present you two enthusiastic middle fingers.
    it was probably the same dipshits who built jumps in drainage areas and grade reversals on Cresheim in the past month. We had to tear them out so the trails would drain properly, at our trail day, 10 days ago.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    At various points in your mountain biking career, even the brave and skilled among you will encounter a feature in the trail -- a fallen log, perhaps, or a tricky rock feature -- that you are unable to ride over. Often, that thing has been there for years, and some people are able to clear it, some not.

When you find yourself in this situation, the good people among you will walk it. The truly good will practice it, until they can clear it.

Those who cheat around something they can't get over are ninnies. Those who remove it are vile dipshits.

This may be retaliation for the removal of three features discovered during a recent walkthrough during a Friends of the Cresheim Trail work day. Someone built a berm and two jumps using a foundation of rotting logs and sticks, covered with soil removed from the trail tread. The berm blocked a major drain and would have eventually created a mud hole, followed by erosion of the trail below the blocked drain. The jumps were partially blocking the drainage areas.

There was a jump near the SEPTA bridge that was left alone since it isn't causing any problems.

If people have ideas for improving the trail come out to a work day and ask us. Can't promise that it will get implemented but talk to us instead of building on your own. We have implemented many volunteer suggestions during work days.

I will take a look at the logovers this week and we will try to restore them during the August work day.

Check out the Friends of the Cresheim Trail Facebook page for upcoming work days.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/126893507320689/

mtbr member
    Thank you Dan!

I agree, more of us should get involved in trail maintenance and building if we want to be taken seriously. All in all, the Wiss is an exceptional place to ride.

Thanks for your effort and of course all those who volunteer.

I quit e-MTBR
    I appreciate FoCT's work and have always said that Cresheim is a great addition to the local trail network.

it was probably the same dipshits who built jumps in drainage areas and grade reversals on Cresheim in the past month.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannmer View Post
    This may be retaliation for the removal of three features discovered during a recent walkthrough during a Friends of the Cresheim Trail work day.
    Maybe, but I doubt it. I don't see Jumps and Berm Guy retaliating by removing tech features. I think it is much more likely that that work was done by a less-skilled rider who figured if he couldn't clear something then by god it had to go. There have been at least 3 always-there logovers that have been removed from the trail that parallels Cresheim in the past several weeks, too, and my guess would be it's all the work of the same logophobe. I suspect the root cause is ignorance more than malice.

Quote Originally Posted by dannmer View Post
    I will take a look at the logovers this week and we will try to restore them during the August work day.
    Much appreciated, although I can't imagine how you'd restore a log that someone hacked smaller. Humpty Dumpty.

Removing that lame berm made sense to me. I thought those jumps were pretty harmless and that you guys would be wiser to avoid picking those fights, even though you're in the right, but that's just my two cents from the sideline.

Speaking of priorities, what's going on with that closed-off-for-months-now footbridge just across the creek from Valley Green?

mtbr member
    lol.. Washington's footbridge? I agree, it is time for a replacement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Maybe, but I doubt it. I don't see Jumps and Berm Guy retaliating by removing tech features. I think it is much more likely that that work was done by a less-skilled rider who figured if he couldn't clear something then by god it had to go. There have been at least 3 always-there logovers that have been removed from the trail that parallels Cresheim in the past several weeks, too, and my guess would be it's all the work of the same logophobe. I suspect the root cause is ignorance more than malice.
    you'd be surprised. lincoln drive side for example was nerfed by someone with a big ol full suspension bike who could have easily ridden the logs they cut out (or learned to) but decided it needed to be nerfed so that more people (AKA his girl) could ride the trail without dismounting.

ironically it seems some of the same people who like jumps (and may illegally build them from time to time) don't like logs. having ridden a big freeride bike once long ago; i can see not wanting to pull 50lbs of bike up and over logs all the time but then maybe there is a lesson there that that bike isn't the best horse for the course...

but i am just guessing here; i truly have no idea who the idiot(s) are messing with stuff up on the cresheim section.

I quit e-MTBR
    ... long ago ... 50lbs of bike ...
    Hah, long ago indeed. Now that bike is 30 lbs and hops over logs with aplomb.

mtbr member
    I think most downhill bikes are still over 30 lbs and more likely 35-40 lbs.

I quit e-MTBR
    Uh, maybe. But who exactly rides a DH bike in the wiss? Not those guys, not anyone.

mtbr member

Wissakon Conditions

At the most you'll see a burly all mountain rig. I've never seen a full blown DH rig at the wiss though. My buddy rides a 35lb Rocky Mountain Switch. That's about the heaviest "normal" bike I've seen there.

On that note, my next bike will almost certainly be a Trek Remedy. That's like a DH bike compared to what many of the Lycra wearing riders sport there. lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Heres my burly AM rig haha

Last edited by Strife21; 08-06-2015 at 10:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    At the most you'll see a burly all mountain rig. I've never seen a full blown DH rig at the wiss though. My buddy rides a 35lb Rocky Mountain Switch. That's about the heaviest "normal" bike I've seen there.

On that note, my next bike will almost certainly be a Trek Remedy. That's like a DH bike compared to what many of the Lycra wearing riders sport there. lol

My friend got a remedy and loves it. He had a hard time deciding between that and the slash but given our area I think he made the right choice. It rides so nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post

HEY!! I asked a question to your YouTube page a while back but you never answered. lol

So I guess I'll ask on here!

Are those bars the titanium Thomson bars? They look so nice!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    HEY!! I asked a question to your YouTube page a while back but you never answered. lol

So I guess I'll ask on here!

Are those bars the titanium Thomson bars? They look so nice!!

Hey man I noticed that comment a few days ago and tried to reply on youtube. Sorry about that. They are not thomson's.. Although I do have a thomson elite seatpost on this bike.

They are Race Face Atlas kash money limited edition color bars. They came 785mm uncut and I cut them down to 760mm. They match up to the kashima on the Fox 34's i have really nice.

Race Face also makes a matching atlas crank but I think its a little too heavy duty for around here. I think its for DH and Free Ride.

I am sure Thomson titanium bars would be even nicer though a little out of my price range.

mtbr member

I ride a pretty heavy all mountain bike - Scott Genius LT with heavy downhill tires. The wiss is basically my backyard, but I've gotten into downhill recently and have been going to Blue Mountain. I think the bike weighs about 33 lbs with the pedals and tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Nice vid... and nice soundtrack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I ride a pretty heavy all mountain bike - Scott Genius LT with heavy downhill tires. The wiss is basically my backyard, but I've gotten into downhill recently and have been going to Blue Mountain. I think the bike weighs about 33 lbs with the pedals and tires.
    Yea mine comes in at 32 lbs. I ride blue sometimes too but I usually just rent their bikes so I dont destroy mine haha.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have a question for everyone. How the heck did Nox get best trail in PA. I mean I like the place and all but its not Wiss. Wiss has everything, drops, jumps, techy hills, not techy hills, flow, and rocks. Just doesn't make sense to me. This is by far my favorite place to ride.

mtbr member
    Yea mine comes in at 32 lbs. I ride blue sometimes too but I usually just rent their bikes so I dont destroy mine haha.
    Well my bike has 180 mm of travel in the fork and 185 in the shock, so it does a pretty good job. I guess that's a 7" travel bike then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast