Wissahickon No-No- Mtbr.com
    Yappy little dog!

Wissahickon No-No

http://tinyurl.com/clxzx

It's bad enough this is off-trail, but filming it certainly doesn't help build confidence in MTB at Wiss.

Freshly Fujified
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers

It's bad enough this is off-trail, but filming it certainly doesn't help build confidence in MTB at Wiss.
    Unfortunately, there are all kinds of people in this sport, including those who are either truly ignorant about stewardship, etc., just don't care, or are plain old selfish. Not sure which category these folks fall into, but let's hope they aren't regulars.

This takes into consideration that your post regarding this film as being off-trail is accurate and true.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers

Not sure that posting the link for *more* people to see was such a bright idea if you're concerned about people viewing it.

To paraphrase Bob, the world is full of douchebags. Life goes on...
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Freshly Fujified

Perfect words

Quote Originally Posted by Stick

To paraphrase Bob, the world is full of douchebags. Life goes on...
    Thanks for putting it so succinctly. I should learn to be more direct.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Thanks for putting it so succinctly. I should learn to be more direct.
    see for me, i'd rather see some people in the woods trying that then riding deep ruts into already rutted out trails on a day the trails are unrideable. riding off trail like that really doesn't do much damage unless heards of people try that same line over and over creating trails/ruts.

you'd be surprised at how many "freeride" lines there are at wissahickon but i agree they are best ridden when no one is around, and filming them for the internet is kinda dumb...

i was riding home one day and saw three morons "freeriding" a drop right onto forbidden drive right in the middle of a sunny afternoon with streams of hikers/bikers going by; now THAT was stupid...

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    see for me, i'd rather see some people in the woods trying that then riding deep ruts into already rutted out trails on a day the trails are unrideable.
    I sorta get your point about off-trail riding in areas where there's no one around being somewhat better than same off-trail riding in highly visible areas (i.e. onto Forbidden Drive), but I've gotta disagree with off-trail ever being better than on-trail - regardless of conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    riding off trail like that really doesn't do much damage unless heards of people try that same line over and over creating trails/ruts.
    It doesn't take herds - it only takes one or two people, riding on a regular basis, to create a new line where there wasn't one before. I've seen this happen at wissahickon, but even more so at another local spot (High Rocks) where I *know* it's not herds, but a very small handful of new riders who've done a great deal of damage in the name of squeezing one or two more jumps/drops into their loop.

I'd much rather see a rut (even a deep one) in an old well-established trail, than see the spider-webbing effect that occurs when people branch away from the main trail wherever they feel like.

What's better? One trail with a rut? Or five spur trails that start off small and go nowhere that eventually widen to the point where it becomes one giant, eroded "road" through the woods?
    Last edited by Stick; 01-09-2006 at 11:01 AM.
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member

What a toolbag.

They should have let the camera keep rolling so we could see when he started to cry. Gimme a break, the guy is all armoured up and takes a small roll sideways off his bike and it a big production.

These punters need to learn how to ride. Somewhere else.
    Last edited by Fluid Dynamics; 01-10-2006 at 07:58 PM.

Trail eater
    Nicely put. I'd be embarrassed to put something as courageous as that online

Are we all still on for Jan 14th at wissa (weather permitting)
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

Freshly Fujified

We're still on

Quote Originally Posted by electric mustard
    Are we all still on for Jan 14th at wissa (weather permitting)
    As far as I can tell, we're still on for Saturday morning. I'll post again on the Wiss Trail Conditions thread to tighten up logistics.

Bob

Members who have read this thread: 0