Wissahickon Group Rides ???- Mtbr.com
    Eat the Earth

Wissahickon Group Rides ???

I'm going to be in Philly from Wednesday (5/25) through Saturday. Was wondering if there were any group rides at Wiss during this time. Heard lots of good stuff about this place.
    Any suggestions on how to get there from downtown? And which trailhead to start from? Any maps available? - Thanks in advance!

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieWonka
    I'm going to be in Philly from Wednesday (5/25) through Saturday. Was wondering if there were any group rides at Wiss during this time. Heard lots of good stuff about this place.
    Any suggestions on how to get there from downtown? And which trailhead to start from? Any maps available? - Thanks in advance!
    I'm off thursday and friday, so I could probably show you around if you don't mind starting early in the morning. I don't know the best way to bike there from 'downtown', but you can probably hop on a SEPTA train to Chestnut Hill. From the Chestnut Hill (E or W, it doesn't really matter...just ask someone to point you toward Germantown Ave if necessary) station, take Germantown Ave. down 'the hill' to Springfield Ave (You'll see a blue sign for 'Valley Green' just before Springfield Ave. Also note that Wissahickon Cyclery is on the opposite corner of Springfield and Germantown if you need any last-minute stuff) Turn right on Springfield, then follow it across Lincoln Dr., past the Chestnut Hill Academy (on your right). When Springfield forks, bear right and follow Valley Green Rd down into the valley.

If you're driving, either Google Map it from your starting point, or go to http://www.valleygreeninn.com and use their directions.

I like to start from Valley Green Rd because it's centrally located (i.e. smack-dab in the middle of the park) close to restrooms, snack bar, etc. I used to park on W. Bells Mill Rd, but there's too many break-ins in cars parked there. VG lot is a lot better, IMO.
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member

wednsday night i can show

i can show you how to get to the wiss from center city on wednsday nite. thursday is good aswell. but i'm thinking of doing the thursday nite race at belmont. pm me or stick

there is a group ride at the wiss on thursday. but i think its a skills clinic(not sure)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Be aware that if you use SEPTA, they don't allow you to bring bikes on the regional rail trains during the morning and evening commute hours, M-F.

Check their website for the exact times the restrictions are in place, www.septa.com. At worst you might get stranded for an hour or so, or have to pedal more than you planned.