Wiss - Houston Meadow Trail Work- Mtbr.com
    Tough Guy Extraordinaire

Wiss - Houston Meadow Trail Work

Does anyone know the FOW plan for the work in the Houston Meadow? I know they have already added additional waterbars to the trail south of the park spur. I was there last night and good portions of the trail north of the park spur are flagged, like they might add water bars here.

Please tell me I am wrong or are the FOW going to destroy one of the nicest sections of flow trail at the park?
    - 2013 Pivot Mach 429 C
    - 2010 Niner MCR
    - 2009 Cannondale Super Six HM
    - 2007 Santa Cruz Super Light

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmack View Post

Please tell me I am wrong or are the FOW going to destroy one of the nicest sections of flow trail at the park?
    They're not destroying. They're adding steps so the meth heads and off-leash dogs can traverse those sections easier. It's part of the IMBA design language.

mtbr member
    I wonder if they are putting those in to purposely slow down the mountain bikes?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

bigger than you.
    It's being put in to slow erosion. Honestly, they don't care enough about mountain bikers to modify trails against us.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Ugggh ... I hate the waterbars in Houston Meadow. The ones that are already there have only been getting steeper since they put them in, so seeing that they're putting more in is just super. Riding them just sucks, and while I know the only reasonable response to that is "Sack up, you pillow-soft skirt", I also feel that's it's within my prerogative to refuse to enjoy it ...

In other Wiss news, anyone else ride Tightrope lately? Holy shit, the weather this year has completely changed the face of that trail. It's like someone placed little jagged rocks in the worst possible place throughout most of the trail. And I was riding it this weekend, a tree fell above me and all I could do was just hope it didn't come sliding down to push me over the ledge. I can't confirm or deny if I did or did not pee myself a little when that happened. Good times in the Wiss ... good ... times ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Where is tightrope?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Tightrope is the circled section here:

Wiss - Houston Meadow Trail Work-tightrope.jpg

If you are heading back toward the main loop from Cresheim, it's along the south side of the creek. So you wouldn't take the right turn to cross the bridge - instead, you go straight and bear right at the fork - that brings you down a rutted descent than ends with a series of dried up creek bed crossings, and some technical log-overs and rock drops before settling into an off-camber, loose ridge-line singletrack. Eventually, you have to climb a short steep climb to hook up with the main trail right before Livezey Lane.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    1_speed just for your own knowledge; while lots of folks ride and hike that section (it is superfun and tech) it is not an official trail so we probably shouldn't blab too much about it. (sick to see what you covered in that pic btw... that musta been a good long ride!!!)

in the meadows, as i understand, the waterbars are the only thing that will both hold the sand in place up there and are permanent enough that folks can't destroy them. if you remember back 5 or so years ago there used to be much funner rock waterbars but douche-holes kept moving them so now we have these VERY permanent waterbars.

I quit e-MTBR
    Jesus Max, is your real love mountain biking or feuding online with mountain bikers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    Jesus Max, is your real love mountain biking or feuding online with mountain bikers?
    The old man seems a little cranky...
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    1_speed just for your own knowledge; while lots of folks ride and hike that section (it is superfun and tech) it is not an official trail so we probably shouldn't blab too much about it. (sick to see what you covered in that pic btw... that musta been a good long ride!!!)

in the meadows, as i understand, the waterbars are the only thing that will both hold the sand in place up there and are permanent enough that folks can't destroy them. if you remember back 5 or so years ago there used to be much funner rock waterbars but douche-holes kept moving them so now we have these VERY permanent waterbars.
    That section is in purgatory for the time being, itís not an official trail, but unlike the lavender trail, itís not off limits, either. Weíre working on making it an official trail, but itís part of a proposal that includes routing Trails on the other side of the creek, too. Thereís no telling when that will happen; probably not 2019 as we havenít done any new work this year and weíve not even kept up with maintenance this season.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    So the only way you are supposed to get out to cresheim is via the trial on the north side of the creek? I had no idea the trail on the south side was off limits.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    That section is in purgatory for the time being, itís not an official trail, but unlike the lavender trail, itís not off limits, either. Weíre working on making it an official trail, but itís part of a proposal that includes routing Trails on the other side of the creek, too. Thereís no telling when that will happen; probably not 2019 as we havenít done any new work this year and weíve not even kept up with maintenance this season.
    Ahhh, it'd be impossible to keep up with maintenance this season with all the rain. Just look at the access road between Forbidden Drive and Pachella Field: it collapsed, they rebuilt it, it collapsed again, they rebuilt it and now it's kind of hanging on with a few sections that have washed away. No way you can maintain the whole park in the conditions we've had this year - seems like every week there are a few new trees down somewhere.

I kind of hope they don't do anything to Tightrope if they make it "official", but I suspect they'll have to make it "safer" if it's going to be opened up as an official trail. That would be a shame - I love the challenge of it now.

As for the water bars ... is there a stronger word than "hate"? The argument that they put them there to be permanent makes sense, but the idea that they hold sand in place is just not true. Those steps have been getting taller for years. I used to be able to just kind of suck up most of them with a wheel bump on the 29er, but now a few of them require lifting the front wheel before you hit them. I don't think there is a way to avoid that in Wiss, though - the same thing happened on the rocky step ups along orange between Bells Mill and the covered bridge. The schist-y sand just isn't going to sit still no matter how you try to hold it back.