where to ride in NE PA- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

where to ride in NE PA

I'm staying at a small lake between Montrose and New Milford for 5 days this week. Doesn't look like anything real close, and I'd consider driving up to 1 hour (1-way) to ride good singletrack. Looking for more advanced terrain that I could ride for a few hours.

Based on trailforks map search, looks Lackawanna, Merli-Sarnoski, Prompton, Moosic Mtn, and Frances Slocum are options. Any others? I don't know anything about any of these places.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Google...

Yes, of the above, Recommendo... Moosic, Merli and Lackawanna, FS is nice but small only a few trails. Your closer to these across the border in NY... Google...Jones Park, Aquaterra, Shindagin, and Oakly Forest. all in the Vestal area.

From Montrose, you can access from Rt267 Pa turns into Rt26 Ny

Stop by the KiskStart Cafe on the way for breakfast on RT 26

I ride them all ask away with anymore questions...
    ...Glad to help ya!

mtbr member
    LSP is closest, but not good to ride when it rains. Besides being muddy and causing ruts, the rocks are referred to as "summer ice" when wet/damp. So is say avoid that since it's going to rain all week. It generally takes a week to dry up. LSP is broken down into about 7 parcels of property. It's smooth and fast compared to Moosic and Merli and sections of Prompton. LSP- think XC racers. A lot of climbing and descending, smooth, fast, hardtail worthy, but full suspension is great too.

Merli is the next closest. It's roots more than rocky believe it or not. Though the big slabs of rock (Squeeze Play) are slick after rain, it's not nearly as erosive as LSP. Merli is best ridden CW. Start loop, Vintage, Squeeze Play, Handlebar, My Brother's Trail, Fox Rocks, Blade, up the climb, down Hillbilly, Twister, down Zipline and out Fern. Skip HR280.

Next closest is Moosic or Prompton. Well talk Prompton first. Park by the dam and ride across it and into the singletrack. At the first intersection make a right and go up.
    At the top there's a "double yellow" trail. You can ride it if you want, but it comes out 20' from where you started and it's nothing thrilling to me. It adds like 2 miles to what is already going to be a long ride. Keep making right turns and you'll be going out further. You can get a 17 mile +/-
    ride here that consists of rolling climbs, long downhills, rocks, roots, pine needles, fast, slow and anything else you can imagine. One of my favorites.

Moosic is rocky, but it has traction. Whether you want to ride up Blueberry or down it will change your route. Blueberry is a 2 mile climb (or downhill) with a gentle grade for climbing that takes you to the highest point of the valley. The "interior" trails are the technical trails. Conglomerate, The View and Stonehenge. The first 2 mentioned are about 90% rock. SH is about 60% rock. These trails are ridden at a slower pace, but require more skill than speed. Bones and Waterfall ride well in both directions, but High Voltage is a mandatory trail to ride down. HV starts with a small climb and then you'll feel like a Jedi flying between the Pitch Pines! It's one of the shorter trails up there but fun. The Pines and Gene's Trail are best ridden CCW. After 5 is OK if you have a route planned with it, but it's not a must hit trail. Bruised Ego actually has 2 different names depending on who you talk to. Bruised Ego or One Last Climb. This trail has a lot in common with Blueberry. It climbs and descends well and these 2 can be combined to either get the climbing over with in the beginning (if you park at the lower gate or to have a 3 mile downhill at the end of your ride.

Here's a link with all the maps- https://sawmillcycles.com/trails/

Ttyl, Fahn
    Last edited by LarryFahn; 08-08-2017 at 06:07 AM.
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    wow, super great info. Thanks! Looks like Moosic might fit my riding style best. Looking forward to trying out new dirt/rocks

mtbr member
    Have fun! Take a pic of the map at the kiosk. After 5 isn't on the map, but a pic will help you navigate.
    Hubbard Bike Club

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Moosic mt...

...There's a yellow jacket nest near Gene's trail going to the power lines about quarter mile out from the reservoir just past the split tree!