What's up with Bike Line stores changing names?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

What's up with Bike Line stores changing names?

I noticed in the last few months several of the Bike Line stores (Philly area) have change their names, ... Ardmore, King of Prussia, and Manayunk are now Human Zoom Bikes & Boards, and two other stores, Wayne and Doylestown, are now High Road Cycles?

I always thought that Bike Line was somewhat like a purchasing co-operative, the stores were never really cookie-cutter copies or one another, and they didn't always carry the same gear and brands.
    Last edited by XCoalMiner; 07-20-2005 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Correct typo

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by XCoalMiner
    I always rhought that Bike Line was somewhat like a purchasing co-operative, the stores were never really cookie-cutter copies or one another, and they didn't always carry the same gear and brands.
    No clue. My local Bike Line is still a Bike Line, and I think the one in Montgomeryville is too. Could be that the owners of the stores in question weren't doing a good business and/or were not getting good support from BikeLine, so they sold the stores to these new chains?
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by XCoalMiner
    I noticed in the last few months several of the Bike Line stores (Philly area) have change their names, ... Ardmore, King of Prussia, and Manayunk are now Human Zoom Bikes & Boards, and two other stores, Wayne and Doylestown, are now High Road Cycles?

I always rhought that Bike Line was somewhat like a purchasing co-operative, the stores were never really cookie-cutter copies or one another, and they didn't always carry the same gear and brands.
    Bike Line is a franchise. Each of the stores are owned and operated by different owners, under the Bike Line name. A few of the stores are owned by the Bike Line corporation itself. I can't speak for the Wayne and Doylestown shops, but I know that the Ardmore, Manayunk, and King of Prussia shops are all owned by the same person. For business reasons he decided to break away from the Bike Line franchise, and continue running the shops under his own name, Human Zoom Bikes and Boards.

The Human Zoom shops still have the same owner, same employees, and same great service. They also still carry all the same brands as before, so don't be afraid to stop in and check it out!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I don't think the owners sold to new chain/franchisees. It sounds to me, based on some stuff I got in the mail from one of them where I was on the mailing list, like they just came up with these names and became independent of Bike Line.

Haven't seen anything saying under new ownership/under new management, in the store closest to me, the people are the same, and they seemed enthuasiastic about telling you of their new name. Didn't think to ask them why the change.

I also noticed that if you go to Bike Line's website, there are fewer store locations that in the past, ... maybe I'm just imagining that, though.
    Last edited by XCoalMiner; 07-20-2005 at 11:55 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Good job!

Human Zoom - Great Service
    Trek Fuel 90 - FOR SALE PM ME
    Cannondale Scalpel 1000 Push'ed
    Cannondale Caffeine 29er - weight weenie !

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The manayunk, ardmore and KOP stores are all owned by the same person. The contract with BIke Line came up and he didn't renew. He wasn't getting what he thought he should from BIke Line for the Franchise fee he was paying. The Wayne store changed names also, not human zoom. I think Wayne is geared towards Road and Tri.

Thumbs Up!

Good job! agree

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel90Trek
    Human Zoom - Great Service
    Human Zone Ardmore big thumbs up.

on the other hand big thumbs down to Bikeline Bethlehem. Alan is a rude [email protected]@hole
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

smell my finger
    Quote Originally Posted by J Ro
    Human Zone Ardmore big thumbs up.

on the other hand big thumbs down to Bikeline Bethlehem. Alan is a rude [email protected]@hole
    Wow, Alan's always been good to me. Built up a nice wheelset for me, and it's the little things like free ferrules and end caps that makes him a first stop just to see what he has before I check the web. When I used to need tune ups (before I learned how to do it myself) he was good and quick and most times could make a quick adustment right away. Now I'm not saying I spend a-lot of money there, it's hard to compete with online sellers, yet he is always pleasant.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by joemamad
    Wow, Alan's always been good to me. Built up a nice wheelset for me, and it's the little things like free ferrules and end caps that makes him a first stop just to see what he has before I check the web. When I used to need tune ups (before I learned how to do it myself) he was good and quick and most times could make a quick adustment right away. Now I'm not saying I spend a-lot of money there, it's hard to compete with online sellers, yet he is always pleasant.

I always have gone to Alan for bike purchases.....bought my Y-22 there about 9 years ago. In the past 18 months alone, I have purchased 2 bikes from him(1 roadbike and 1 mountain bike). Also throw in other purchases there such as cyclocomputers, barends, tires, tubes etc etc. Well, the other day I went in to ask a question about the preload adjustment on my girlfriend's new Judy shock (which would not turn and which is a bike I bought from him only 3 months ago), and Alan was no help whatsoever. He acted like I was an annoyance and taking up his time, offering me no solution to my problem. Perhaps he was having a bad day but this was the first time that has happened and makes me wonder whether I want to continue giving him my business.

I did not appreciate that at all.

Thumbs Up!

I'm not surprised

Quote Originally Posted by brianthebiker
    I always have gone to Alan for bike purchases.....bought my Y-22 there about 9 years ago. In the past 18 months alone, I have purchased 2 bikes from him(1 roadbike and 1 mountain bike). Also throw in other purchases there such as cyclocomputers, barends, tires, tubes etc etc. Well, the other day I went in to ask a question about the preload adjustment on my girlfriend's new Judy shock (which would not turn and which is a bike I bought from him only 3 months ago), and Alan was no help whatsoever. He acted like I was an annoyance and taking up his time, offering me no solution to my problem. Perhaps he was having a bad day but this was the first time that has happened and makes me wonder whether I want to continue giving him my business.

I did not appreciate that at all.

I stopped in his shop one day and he was very rude to me. I guess since i was not dropping $1.5k that day on a bike, i was a second class citizen. I split, then one my way home i was so mad, and i called him and let him know how pi$$ed off i was and he acted like he could care less, no apolgy. I will never spend a dime there. There are other great shops nearby like Saucon Valley Bikes and Cycledrome in Trexlertown.

What a poor business man.
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson