What do you guys do to stay in shape?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

What do you guys do to stay in shape?

I've always been a middle of the pack to back of the pack rider, fitness wise. I had two injuries last year that kept me off the bike for quite a few months, which caused me to lose whatever fitness I had gained.

This past summer I was able to get back into it and by January I had worked myself up to where I would say I was a middle of the pack rider again. I was making some great strides, for me at least, getting over hills and obstacles that in the past I never could do. Then the snow hit.

I'm still working out, lifting weights, trying to get lighter, but I miss riding.

Just curious what you guys do? Trainer, ride the streets, rollers, etc. A friend of mine is a really skilled rider and he actually takes the entire winter off he said, to rest and prevent burn out.

I have a trainer, but it's boring as hell. I do it reluctantly but it's no substitute for real riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Run. A lot. Try to hit at least 40-50 mpw.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I ride a bike everyday either by commuting 25 miles round trip atleast 5 days a week and/or riding mountain bike or fat bike solo/with my wife a few times a week. Most miles in a year 7987, in a month 803, coldest commute, -6 f with windchill of -25 f, coldest mountain bike ride 3 f windchill -17 . Last time I rode my trainer was Jan 9th 2011, I have not missed a day of riding a bike since. Riding a bike keeps me in shape physically & mentally.

mtbr member
    I keep riding, I'm riding 25 miles or more a week now. I ride in the cold and dark if I have to. I also snowboard when its not real rideable out.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizman View Post
    I ride a bike everyday ... coldest commute, -6 f with windchill of -25 f, coldest mountain bike ride 3 f windchill -17 . Riding a bike keeps me in shape physically & mentally.
    Are you sure about the mental part? I'd say you're off your rocker!
    Greg

2014 Haro FLC 29 Comp
    2009 Red Line MX-24
    1980 Red Line Pro-Line old-school cool :cool:

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 80Pro-Line View Post
    Are you sure about the mental part? I'd say you're off your rocker!
    LOL, If you are equipped and dressed for the conditions it is not bad at all. It has taken a few years for me to get the right mix of clothing and how to dress to be warm. It makes it a challenge to try and keep from sweating to much but just warm enough to not be cold. Hills can be your friend!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Keep riding! As others have said, with the right clothes and stuff like booties and chemical foot/hand warmers you can stay warm (or at least warm enough). Studded tires will increase the types of conditions you can ride in, but often regular tires are just fine in the snow. Of course this depends on where you ride and how traveled the trails are. Parks like the Wissahickon generally get so much traffic, even in the winter, that the trails get packed down. Left to nature, you get more mixed results of course. But there are so many benefits: empty trails, great technical/balance practice, a tougher workout (pushing through the snow etc.), and you often get to see your local trails/park in a whole new setting and familiar trails in a whole new way. For example, this vid is from last Saturday during the snow:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/repoman/15996384393/

All that said, I'm ready for summer. Snow and ice rides can get old after a while.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Riding Motocross and Moto Trials keep the skills really sharp! Other than that I'm just out there for the scenery...LOL

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I say, do anything that you can to stay in shape. Personally, I hate the cold so much that I'm not riding outside until its significantly warmer. I've been trying to hit the gym. Winter is a perfect time to hit the gym for me, as I know I'm not missing any riding time, and even though it doesn't directly translate to riding, it leaves you in better shape than doing nothing.

Anything you do is positive, compared to not doing anything.

Squ-eti
    bouncing/running on a mini trampoline with and without hand weights, martial arts, and this year...alot more riding outdoors on the bike.
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"

mtbr member
    Ride when I can, keep a spin bike for the other fill ins and I work on gym equipment for a living. Some days are a literal marathon When the customer says "my treadmill only acts up at 10mph after 10 to 15 minutes" or a gym that has 8 units that are all acting up. Fun stuff.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

bright path native
    Telemark skiing, XC skiing, and running.
    strava is not real racing!

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    Besides riding, not much. I walk about 8 miles a day at work. I have a door frame pull up bar and some surgical tubing I work out with occasionally, but nothing regular.
    Live like there's no tomorrow. But pay your bills just in case there is.

mtbr member
    Yoga and Netflix.

mtbr member
    Football (winter months), Kung Fu (all year around), weights (all year around), mtb (not during June/July [my winter months])

-------------------------------------
    Opinions are like A-holes... everybody
    has one & they're usually full of...??
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I ride at least 1-2 days a week, run 1-2 days a week, and snowshoe 1-2 days a week....

I was doing the elliptical maybe once every other week until I broke it a couple weeks ago. Last winter I fell way out of shape, so I promised myself I wouldn't let that happen again. Last spring was BRUTAL to get back into shape.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Re: What do you guys do to stay in shape?

I work out 5 days a week at the local health club. I spend roughly 2 hours a night there. Most of it on the bike or elliptical and sometimes I mix in the stairmaster or treadmill.

Once summer hits I quit the health club and spend my time hiking around the trout streams, paddling my kayak and a little bit of biking here and there.

With my newly acquired fat bike I am now getting out riding one day on the weekend also.

As I type this I'm at the health club on the bike.

mtbr member
    I'm not in the "completely give up riding for the winter" crowd but I have started picking my battles much more carefully. I bought myself some nice lights and do some amount of nightriding. I like it but I'm generally not willing to drive very far for it and I don't stay out late. I like riding on the occasional frozen trail but I have no interest in riding on snow or ever riding a fatbike or buying stud covered tires. In general, I use the time to rest up and "avoid burnout", not that I ride as much as your friend.

How do I stay in shape? The biggest thing is eating right: Welcome to Mark's Daily Apple | Mark's Daily Apple

My diet and health have improved so much since finding Mark Sisson's site that it's ridiculous. The bottom line is that I don't feel like I HAVE to do much to stay in shape. I keep my diet in line, do some pushups, get on my road bike when it's not dangerous and alpine ski when I can, which is, unfortunately, not nearly enough. I would like to get either a trainer or rollers at some point but I don't have them yet. At 45, I've gotten to the point that, if I don't enjoy it and I'm not getting paid for it...why am I doing it? What am I trying to prove to who? I admit that I don't usually race, however so I don't worry about that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks everyone.

I love the snow and don't mind riding in it, it's just too hard to pedal through this much to make it worth it. Although maybe the trails are packed down, I haven't ridden since January.

I've got a nice mountain biking specific weight workout, so I am focusing on that, trying to get some cardio, and hoping for a quick melt!

mtbr member
    Looks like a quick melt is what you're going to get, so hang in there and get yourself ready to shred in the next couple of weeks.

In terms of fitness in the winter, I ride the trails until the snow is just too deep, then switch over to riding on the roads and fireroads. We have a lot of state forests and gamelands in my area, so it's not hard to find a cool spot to ride your bike in the woods.

I mix in a bunch of kettlebell and calisthenic workouts to keep my legs strong and my cardio up.

Melt snow melt.........

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Fell out of shape at the end of last season and didn't do much or anything this winter besides a little cardio

Hopped on a bike to take a few laps around the block today

Spring is going to suck getting in shape

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Snow is melting fast, so hopefully I will be back out there and this was nothing more than a month long "rest" before really pushing myself.

mtbr member
    If you listen closely you can hear the sound of millions of tiny snowflakes screaming as they die a slow, painful death.