Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Western PA

mtbr member

Western PA

Geez -- so many threads recently for Eastern, PA trails -- about to start this one so we can talk about all of the great trails here.

Went to Laurel Mountain yesterday -- it was my first time there this year. Some spots were a little bit wet but overall, it was great. Tryin to put together a loop from the top parking lot at the warming hut down to Wolf Rocks and back.

Going to try White Oak Park tonight before the rain!
    cas im diggin a ditch where madness gives a bit.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Please do...
    ... post all you know about western pa and I'll see if we can sticky it to go with the other stickys about other areas of Pa

mtbr member
    May 2007
    There are tons of trails out here in Western PA.

Some places to get info:

Mountain | Laurel Highlands On & Off Road Bicycling Association (LHORBA)
    pittsburgh off-road cyclists: calendar
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have a good map of North Park?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Oh yeah, another resource, which includes some north park pdf's

PTAG - Pittsburgh Trails Advocacy Group

North Park | PTAG - Pittsburgh Trails Advocacy Group

Also, there's a lot of info on the MTB Project | Mountain Bike Trail Maps site.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Guys +1 rep to ya!

Hermit
    I had a ride at Bavington a couple of weeks (and rain storms) ago, and it looked surprisingly good.

Also heard that Moraine is good, but that is no surprise.

For NW PA riders, friends in Warren have been building trails just north of the state line at Harris Hill Extension Forest, and they reported the other day that their trails are good to go.

Here's a link to a map I made a little while back that has most of the western PA trail systems.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...r73WFE4o&hl=en

Also, you can check Trailforks for more info:

Pennsylvania Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

The White Jeff W
    A local made this hand drawn map of Brady's Run. Trails are in great shape right now.

Western PA-brp-map-2015.jpg
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I rode North Park last night (North Ridge) and it was 99% good. The 1% muddy I'm guessing will just about always be that way, but I could be wrong.

I just moved to Wexford from Denver (can ride to the trailhead from my house) so this will be my home turf. If this stays active, I'll try to keep reporting in with NP trail conditions.

mtbr member
    Very awesome! I ended up going to White Oak this morning instead of Raystown because it looked like rain. The trails at White Oak are in good shape 99/1 as well. Though it did start raining pretty heavy at one point when I decided to wrap things up. They're still leaf covered, still unmarked, still just as confusing as always for me when I'm there but it's a fun place.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    A local made this hand drawn map of Brady's Run. Trails are in great shape right now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BRP Map 2015.jpg 
Views:	595 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	981260
    You doing the 6 hours of Brady this year?
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

The White Jeff W
    Nope. I dont have the endurance. Might team up with someone if Im feeling frisky.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Brady's Run is my home turf, and it's a great park and community. People know how to get shit done here when it comes to trail maintenance and building. North Park and Bavington (Hillman State Park) are also great networks, but a little further away for me. I'd love to check out the trails in the Laurel Highlands and Ohio Pyle sometime this year. I like exploring new places.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    One thing I'm wondering guys, since I haven't lived here very long, is how long the trails take to dry out after a rain. We got a pretty good soak up here next to North Park for about half the day yesterday. I'd assume that the trails are soggy today, but if we don't get anymore rain, does it usually take a couple days? Out west I had a pretty good feel for what trails drained slowly (usually along rivers and with a lot of canopy) and which drained quickly (the decomposed granite was almost instantly dry)... haven't ridden enough here yet to know.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusker View Post
    One thing I'm wondering guys, since I haven't lived here very long, is how long the trails take to dry out after a rain. We got a pretty good soak up here next to North Park for about half the day yesterday. I'd assume that the trails are soggy today, but if we don't get anymore rain, does it usually take a couple days? Out west I had a pretty good feel for what trails drained slowly (usually along rivers and with a lot of canopy) and which drained quickly (the decomposed granite was almost instantly dry)... haven't ridden enough here yet to know.
    North Park drains reasonably well. Some of the higher traffic trails (Pfsundenstein, for example) may take a little bit longer than others. I imagine things should be pretty good this weekend.

Bavington drains really well, the pine needles help a lot, too. Bavington has seen a big increase in traffic over the last couple years though, so if it gets a really good soaking, it might take a little longer. Generally the Figure 8 loop off knowlton rd is good to go more often than not. Connecting the Knowlton Rd side to Haul Rd side involves a section that is pretty much perpetually wet.

Roaring Run in Apollo is another that drains really well.

Moraine is another good destination during the wet seasons.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Oh, and one MAJOR thing for Bavington - keep in mind, they ARE STATE GAME LANDS and is open for hunting.

Relevant info for the current season, from PADCNR site; REMINDER: It is unlawful to ride a bicycle, horse or any other vehicle on Hillman State Park before 1 p.m. from Saturday, April 11th 2015 to Saturday, May 16th 2015 and it is closed all day from Monday, May 18th to Saturday, May 30th, except on Sundays due to Spring Gobbler Season. Please reference Title 58 of the Pennsylvania Game Commission Rules and Regulations Hillman State Park is known as State Game Lands 432

Be sure to check the PADCNR site for other seasons and times of the year!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusker View Post
    It depends on so many factors. For example, last week it rained all week, from Monday until Friday at noon. But Friday afternoon and Saturday were very windy, lots of sunlight, and the trails were good to go by Sunday. Of course, the low lying areas will retain water for many days, but the stuff cut into hillsides and the higher terrain will dry out within 2 days. Bavington does handle the rain pretty well because of the pines, BUT there is not nearly as much elevation change there, so the low-lying areas will stay wet longer than places like North Park or Brady's Run, in my experience. In Ohio were the terrain isn't as hilly, like West Branch State Park or Alum Creek near Columbus, the trails can be out of commission for weeks at times. I'm really glad I live so close to PA (I actually work in PA). Mohican is one of the few places in Ohio that drains well, I suspect mostly because of the elevation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Rode 20 miles in Bavington today, great as always!

As for spring gobbler season, this is from the Trail Pittsburgh (PTAG) Facebook page:

"I called the SW Region office, then Harrisburg, then the SW Region law enforcement office (Officer Dan Sitler) who manages the NW region of Washington County and specifically Hillman State Park (gameland SGL-432). Spring Gobbler starts May 2 and runs from sunrise to noon. You can ride after 1PM up until May 16th inclusive. After May 16 there is no riding for the last two weeks of May. There is also a single day of youth hunting on April 25. The regulation on page 19 was meant to cover the fluctuating starting date year to year. From the officer in charge of Hillman Sate Park, you are permitted to ride the entire month of April (except April 25). Starting on May 2 you can ride anytime after 1PM. Starting May 18 you can NOT ride AT ANY TIME through the end of the May.He freely allowed the use of his name in the event a game commission officer stops you. If they have a differing opinion have them contact Officer Dan Sitler."

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You can always ride Bavington on Sunday,no matter what is in season.

You can't hunt anywhere in PA on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    North Park was fantastic today. Rode the Back 9 / V8 and it was great. Rain's in the forecast tomorrow but hoping to report back in on Monday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Guys, I'm temporarily transferred out here for work, I'm in Canonsburg and I'm missing my bikes and Colorado hills. Can anyone advise on a place I can rent a bike... and well everything else, and get in a good ride? I'm comfortable riding ~40 miles with 5-6k' climbing, but I'd be happy with 15 right now. The other option, I get a weekend home may 1st, I have 3 bikes to choose from, but I could ship one of them out, can anyone advise if I should pick my Stumpy FSR or HT SS 29er? Without seeing the trails it's hard to say. Thanks for any tips.

mtbr member
    A lot of my freinds have stumpys, also top gear in mcmurrey has bikes you can demo at a small fee (trek)
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    South Park update : trails are in good condition, IMBA was there today and cut in a new trail. I also stumbled on a new trail that starts in the lot where the bikers always hang out at.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Where'd they add the new trail?

Squ-eti
    the trails at Yellow Creek State Park were also in great shape today (at least what I rode on the south shore).

I'm loving this thread. About time western PA got some love :-)
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by npcannon View Post
    Guys, I'm temporarily transferred out here for work, I'm in Canonsburg and I'm missing my bikes and Colorado hills. Can anyone advise on a place I can rent a bike... and well everything else, and get in a good ride? I'm comfortable riding ~40 miles with 5-6k' climbing, but I'd be happy with 15 right now. The other option, I get a weekend home may 1st, I have 3 bikes to choose from, but I could ship one of them out, can anyone advise if I should pick my Stumpy FSR or HT SS 29er? Without seeing the trails it's hard to say. Thanks for any tips.
    Either would be just fine but if it were me Id go with the single speed. With your fitness level it shouldn't be a problem around here.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vos07 View Post
    Where'd they add the new trail?
    Behind ice skating rink, it was more of a reroute than a new trail...I guess there was safety issues with the way it ran before.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mccartney7499 View Post
    I'm loving this thread. About time western PA got some love :-)
    I agree!

Hermit
    Hit Moraine on the fat bike on Saturday. Only saw one muddy stretch, but I didn't ride the whole trail.

Great to be back out on the rocks, and surprising how nice the fat bike handled the tech stuff. Gonna be a good year for mtb!

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry

My insignificant blog:

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hey there,
    I'm actually in Canonsburg now...I ride pretty much on Montour Trail so probably can't help you much with more technical areas but a nice LBS is Tandem Connection. It's only 5 mins from Canonsburg and right on Montour Trail. They do bike rentals and are really nice people.
    Welcome to the area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    This probably defeats the entire purpose, but since the increased traffic at Bavington and North Park have been mentioned. . .there are a couple of sneaky-good trail networks in the same area where you can get in a decent ride and not see huge crowds. The trails at Settler's Cabin (county park) have been vastly improved in recent years, especially the new red trail from the picnic shelters. It now links to the old blue/purple loop for a decent 10-12 miles of good trails.

Montour Woods is a new trail network in Moon Township that gets a lot of good maintenance from the Hollow Oak Land Trust volunteers. Easy access, good parking, shares a trailhead with the Montour Trail. . .and one of the trails is a bad-ass downhill rip that will make anybody smile. Just don't ride it backwards!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AmishAirline View Post
    This probably defeats the entire purpose, but since the increased traffic at Bavington and North Park have been mentioned. . .there are a couple of sneaky-good trail networks in the same area where you can get in a decent ride and not see huge crowds. The trails at Settler's Cabin (county park) have been vastly improved in recent years, especially the new red trail from the picnic shelters. It now links to the old blue/purple loop for a decent 10-12 miles of good trails.

Montour Woods is a new trail network in Moon Township that gets a lot of good maintenance from the Hollow Oak Land Trust volunteers. Easy access, good parking, shares a trailhead with the Montour Trail. . .and one of the trails is a bad-ass downhill rip that will make anybody smile. Just don't ride it backwards!
    Its been a while since I've been to Settlers. I'll have to get out there.
    X2 on Hollow Oaks. Great ride and its not to busy. Trails are in great shape.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hit Settler's a few times in 2012, never really found much that connected well. Anyone have any good route suggestions or maps?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    If you take a look at the Settler's Cabin page on MTBproject, the trail map is pretty accurate. A ton of work has been done since last summer, basically doubling the amount of rideable trails. I've found the best flow is to start at the red trail (it's right behind the Gilbert Love picnic shelter, small climb up the grass hill to the trailhead) and run the red trail all the way down through the valley to where it meets Pinkerton Rd. There are some spur trails that make for good rides, too. . .the one that goes down to the beaver pond is cool, coming back up not so much.

At the bottom end of the red trail, hang a left on the old jeep road and go about 1/3 mile uphill, then make a right on the purple trail. From here, you can ride the purple loop off to the right, or stay straight up the hill and meet up with the blue loop. Both will take you back to the tennis courts, where you can ride the road back to your car, or reverse the trail and ride it back. I'm guessing this route is right around 8-10 miles, depending on which loops you opt for. Lots of options. The red trail is more technical than the purple/blue, but in combination it makes for a good evening of riding.

Be sure to throw some love to the Trails PGH crew, they have worked their asses off out there.

Settlers Cabin Mountain Bike Trail, Rennerdale, PA

Squ-eti
    Laurel Mountain was in good shape today. Some wet spots, but very little mud.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadzillaXXX View Post
    Hey there,
    I'm actually in Canonsburg now...I ride pretty much on Montour Trail so probably can't help you much with more technical areas but a nice LBS is Tandem Connection. It's only 5 mins from Canonsburg and right on Montour Trail. They do bike rentals and are really nice people.
    Welcome to the area.
    I've run almost daily on the Montour and that's where I park, but I've never popped into the shop, I'll stop and talk to them next time for sure. Thank you!

I ran the South Park Bison Ridge trail today ~6 miles and it was in pretty good shape, there are some sloppy bits for sure but I'd say a majority of it is "in", certainly for foot travel. Some of the off shoots looked like a lot of fun, I'm definitely planning on getting a bike out here!

mtbr member
    Did Bavington today and it was in perfect shape.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

Hermit
    Was up in the Allegheny National Forest over the weekend, and rode the small loop up at Rimrock/Morrison. Some mud, right where you'd expect it - where the trail crosses the drainage runs. Nice riding overall.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry

My insignificant blog:

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Checking in. . .the new trail segments in Settler's Cabin were in really nice shape yesterday (4/26). A couple mud holes that required a walk-around (and some damage from a few tools who decided to ride through them) and some horse damage on the upper section of the red trail.

But all in all, there is a ton of new trail in this park and it can be linked a few different ways to make up a really good ride without the crowds.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AmishAirline View Post
    A couple mud holes that required a walk-around (and some damage from a few tools who decided to ride through them)
    They aren't being tools, they're respecting the wishes of trail builders. When you go around them, it widens the trails.

So yes, please ride through them. This should be done on ALL TRAILS to prevent turning singletrack into doubletrack.

If you don't believe me, get it (and the trail conditions report) right from the source:

https://www.facebook.com/settlerstrails?fref=ts

"Trail conditions report! We had a chance to ride the ENTIRE trail system in the park (except for the mess on lower green) and it is in a word, AWESOME!!!
    The trails are drying quickly with conditions ranging from boggy and wet in just a handful of sections, to light and tacky mud in other sections all the way to dry hardpack. With no rain in the forecast until Thursday, expect conditions to continue to improve throughout the week!
    We are still working on draining and armouring the boggy section in the middle of the Red trail, so bear with us and ride THROUGH the mud, not around it!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I guess I should clarify. . .I basically did mean the tools who were widening the trails by riding around them. For a couple of those mud holes, riding through them isn't necessarily better. I'd like to see riders dismount and hop some rocks for the 10' it would take to go easy on the trail.

And wow, dude. . .you click me with a negative rep based on that? Please get over yourself.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yes, I did neg rep you because you're name calling people for doing something they're supposed to do, while making it clear that you yourself need to learn some trail etiquette.

Now you're contradicting yourself, saying that they were going around and not riding though them...make up your mind, man.

And then you tell me to get over myself when I provide a reasonable response with information from the trail builders themselves...and then you neg rep me on that.

Seems maybe you should follow your own advice and also cut out the hypocrisy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Is it a comprehension thing with you? Not that I need to even remotely begin to explain myself to you, but I even made an attempt to correct myself in saying that no, I did not truly mean the people riding THROUGH the mud were tools, I really did intend to say "those making the mud holes larger". Apparently that splitting of hairs was enough for you to assume that I am a noob rider (if you consider ~20 years of riding a noob), that I don't know trail etiquette (again, you would be incorrect), that I haven't moved plenty of dirt on those very trails. . .I could go on. But I digress, I'm sorry that you're just that kind of guy. Happy riding to you, man.

Squ-eti
    ...and this is why we can't have nice things (like a Western PA post about trails/conditions).

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I guess I'd chime in and say that I did 15 miles at North Park yesterday. As a new Pennsylvanian now living within a mile of the trailhead there, I'm loving it. It's making my transition from Denver a lot easier!

Dr. Bike
    Mar 2006
    ...and this is why we can't have nice things (like a Western PA post about trails/conditions).
    +1 hahaha
    If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot !

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Riding Bradys Run around 4:00 today if anyone wants to join. I could be talked into North Park instead, but wouldn't be there until 4:30'ish.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Awesome man. I've been spending more time on Panhandle trail...about 10-15 mins from Canonsburg where I park. It's usually much less crowded. They're also building a bridge between mile markers 21-22 ( I think) to connect trail there so it just keeps getting longer lol.

I've run almost daily on the Montour and that's where I park, but I've never popped into the shop, I'll stop and talk to them next time for sure. Thank you!

I ran the South Park Bison Ridge trail today ~6 miles and it was in pretty good shape, there are some sloppy bits for sure but I'd say a majority of it is "in", certainly for foot travel. Some of the off shoots looked like a lot of fun, I'm definitely planning on getting a bike out here!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Behind ice skating rink, it was more of a reroute than a new trail...I guess there was safety issues with the way it ran before.
    I went to the work day. The reroute was a sustainability issue more than safety. The existing section was muddy, deeply rutted, and steep. I hope the new section is fun to ride. I rarely go to South Park since I live near Frick park but I'll have to check it out some time this year.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Did about 18 miles out at North park after work, conditions are really good right now.

mtbr member
    Nice guys!!!! I want to get out to North Park on Saturday morning/afternoon!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The new workaround in South Park is nice! Hit it Friday and Saturday last week. There's a new(er) trail cut up the hill where the Montour Trail climbs up the hill we rode for the first time, lots of switchbacks! Climbed up it but looks like it'd be a fun ride down compared to the trail that used to just shoot straight down the hill. Someone built up the jump at the bottom of the Rollercoaster by the golf course, great clearance now as long as you hit it at full speed.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Report from a friend today at South Park that the top trail that takes you to the wave pool entrance has been pretty beat up from horse traffic, advises avoiding for now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vos07 View Post
    The new workaround in South Park is nice! Hit it Friday and Saturday last week. There's a new(er) trail cut up the hill where the Montour Trail climbs up the hill we rode for the first time, lots of switchbacks! Climbed up it but looks like it'd be a fun ride down compared to the trail that used to just shoot straight down the hill. Someone built up the jump at the bottom of the Rollercoaster by the golf course, great clearance now as long as you hit it at full speed.
    Did you try the new trail near behind the playground that cuts behind horse stables yet? pretty nice. Also do you take the trail that heads to the model airplane field, its posted no trespassing but its sweet trail.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yeah, that's the trail we rode! Haven't seen a new model airplane one yet, will have to keep an eye out for that one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    Report from a friend today at South Park that the top trail that takes you to the wave pool entrance has been pretty beat up from horse traffic, advises avoiding for now.
    We call that one girl scout trial, its getting better.

mtbr member
    I was told that there is going to be a group ride held by ptag on sunday, starting at 8am in the vip parking lot. Went to the site and saw no mention of it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I was told that there is going to be a group ride held by ptag on sunday, starting at 8am in the vip parking lot. Went to the site and saw no mention of it.
    You'll want to follow "Trail Pittsburgh" on Facebook.

Here's the event:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1438318359799180/

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    We call that one girl scout trial, its getting better.
    The back side wave pool trail is money right now, we've been hitting that one instead of Girl Scout.

mtbr member
    Me and a friend of mine are thinking of hitting up North Park this Saturday and doing what we call going for glory, its about a 23-25 mile day. more details to come if anyone is interested.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Me and a friend of mine are thinking of hitting up North Park this Saturday and doing what we call going for glory, its about a 23-25 mile day. more details to come if anyone is interested.
    Interested, but might need a tow rope to finish What's the total elevation amount? How long do you anticipate the ride taking?

The White Jeff W
    Might be up for something like that. Keep us posted
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    Interested, but might need a tow rope to finish What's the total elevation amount? How long do you anticipate the ride taking?
    Easily 3 hours, and north park has some big hills. Meeting point is always ice skating rink parking lot close to the bathrooms. Will keep you posted on a time, not sure just yet.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    For those thinking of doing the north park ride, we are meeting at 10am.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I won't be able to make it. Have a fun and safe ride!

The White Jeff W
    Me either. Enjoy!
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thinking about riding Bavington or North Park either early in the morning or mid afternoon tomorrow (Sunday) Anyone interested?

Like a BOSS
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    Thinking about riding Bavington or North Park either early in the morning or mid afternoon tomorrow (Sunday) Anyone interested?
    I've been wanting to ride up there with some one that's familiar with the trails and wouldn't mind showing me around, but unfortunately I work until 3:30pm tomorrow and live about an hour away... maybe next time.
    Adam Christopher
    ♦ Intense M16c Pro
    ♦ Santa Cruz Nomad cc
    ♦ Santa Cruz 5010 cc
    ♦ Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

The White Jeff W
    Went to Moraine this morning. Trails were great. My legs were not. Decided to try the fatbike. It went surprisingly well.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I wish I could actually decipher the south park trail maps cause the reviews here seem really good. lol but as a novice to actually riding on a trail like that as opposed to montour i can't usually figure out where to get on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadzillaXXX View Post
    I wish I could actually decipher the south park trail maps cause the reviews here seem really good. lol but as a novice to actually riding on a trail like that as opposed to montour i can't usually figure out where to get on.
    Let me know when you want to go, I can meet you at the vip (skating rink lot) and show you around a bit.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hey, im a new rider wanted to check out some trails in Western PA. I'm looking for somebody that would not mind guiding Bavington Trail Saturday afternoon around 4-430ish ?

Like a BOSS
    Quote Originally Posted by LRSH92 View Post
    Hey, im a new rider wanted to check out some trails in Western PA looking for somebody that wouldnt mind guiding Bavington Trail Saturday afternoon around 4-430ish ?
    I'll join up if some one that's familiar with the trails wouldn't mind showing me around.
    Adam Christopher
    ♦ Intense M16c Pro
    ♦ Santa Cruz Nomad cc
    ♦ Santa Cruz 5010 cc

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    North Park was magical as always at sunrise this morning!

Western PA-2015-05-06.jpg

mtbr member
    going to be traveling to Pitts this tuesday for work and will have the bike along. staying up at the Marriott in cranbury and want to hit North park in the afternoon. Can any of you locals tell me the best place to pick up the trailhead and some suggested loops?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhamss View Post
    going to be traveling to Pitts this tuesday for work and will have the bike along. staying up at the Marriott in cranbury and want to hit North park in the afternoon. Can any of you locals tell me the best place to pick up the trailhead and some suggested loops?
    Shame its not Wednesday, Im off and could show you around. That being said most people park at the Ice skating rink lot and there is a trail head to the left on the hill right past the bathrooms. if you follow it all the way its around 6 miles to you hit the road again, cross the street and there is more path there, follow it to a Y and make the left just stay on that path and it will loop all the way around again, its shorter loop like 12-13 miles.

Here are some direction to where to park.
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pitt...d40.684303!1m0
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    nice thanks for the hook up. I am in the area once every month or so I will give heads up next time thru maybe we can gtg. I stay out in greensburg and my the airport area as well but wanted to check out NP so booked the cranbury hotel this time. looking forward to hitting some new trails

Squ-eti
    Yellow Creek State Park.

Go there. Ride. Be happy.

Seriously, these are some of the best trails I've ridden anywhere. Why they don't get more recognition is beyond me. An 18 mile loop of twisty singletrack around a lake. There's soul crushing climbs, swoopy descents, technical rock sections, flowy sections through pines. It's basically everything Pennsylvania has to offer in an 18 mile loop.

Trails were in great shape yesterday. Dry and blazingly fast (the trails, not me). Creek crossing was around knee level.

Squ-eti
    Boyce park this afternoon.

trails mostly tacky with some slick spots (mostly in the corners to keep you honest), and a few puddles. Green (soccer field) trails are in good shape, white trail in good shape, sections of the blue trail (the upper stuff that parallels the dirt road) was grown in and had some biting jagger bushes. Someone's put in alot of work clearing out the blue/red dot trail though. Especially when you get near the ball fields.

mtbr member
    Yellow Creek State Park.

Seriously, these are some of the best trails I've ridden anywhere. Why they don't get more recognition is beyond me. An 18 mile loop of twisty singletrack around a lake. There's soul crushing climbs, swoopy descents, technical rock sections, flowy sections through pines. It's basically everything Pennsylvania has to offer in an 18 mile loop.

Trails were in great shape yesterday. Dry and blazingly fast (the trails, not me). Creek crossing was around knee level.
    Awesome! I'm gonna check this place out soon!!

Squ-eti
    It's totally worth it, I've ridden most of what Western PA has to offer...Frick, Boyce, North Park, Hartwood Acres, Moraine, Laurel Mt, Bavington, Apollo (Roaring Run), Raystown, Seven Springs...and these are my new favorite trails.

mtbr member
    Boyce park this afternoon.

trails mostly tacky with some slick spots (mostly in the corners to keep you honest), and a few puddles. Green (soccer field) trails are in good shape, white trail in good shape, sections of the blue trail (the upper stuff that parallels the dirt road) was grown in and had some biting jagger bushes. Someone's put in alot of work clearing out the blue/red dot trail though. Especially when you get near the ball fields.
    I want to like Boyce Park so much but I know it's a major complaint by many, I always get lost! Know of any good maps?

Squ-eti
    Quote Originally Posted by antgrave View Post
    I want to like Boyce Park so much but I know it's a major complaint by many, I always get lost! Know of any good maps?

This one is probably the best. It shows the newest trails to be blazed. Even with the map it's likely to get lost, but at least you'll have a point of reference. The best way is to ride a couple times with someone else who knows the trails to get to know how to connect the trails together into a flowing ride.
    http://www.county.allegheny.pa.us/pa...s/bpblazed.pdf

mtbr member
    wow. rode North Park yesterday and what an absolute blast! great work on the trail layout and maintenance. so much fun and a good work out with the climbing which would be the big differentator from Raystown IMO. awesome flow some fun technical stuff with drops and roots rocks. Got in about 12 miles and was feeling it when I was through.

I am out by the airport next week can any of you recommend something in that area to check out?
    Last edited by Bhamss; 05-16-2015 at 05:02 PM.

mtbr member
    wow road North Park yesterday and what an absolute blast! great work on the trail layout and maintenance. so much fun and a good work out with the climbing which would be the big differentator from Raystown IMO. awesome flow some fun technical stuff with drops and roots rocks. Got in about 12 miles and was feeling it when I was through.

I am out by the airport next week can any of you recommend something in that area to check out?
    Glad you liked it, I did 18 miles today.

Trails near the airport, Maybe Bavington aka hillman state park, or Setters cabin park.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    damn 18 miles is a lot there. I was starting to bonk a little because I skipped lunch but still thats impressive.

yea was looking at hillman on another site seemed solid or maybe make a lil more of a drive to South Park? is it worth it?

mtbr member
    damn 18 miles is a lot there. I was starting to bonk a little because I skipped lunch but still thats impressive.

yea was looking at hillman on another site seemed solid or maybe make a lil more of a drive to South Park? is it worth it?
    South Park is fun, I live super close so im there a lot, but if you dont know where the trails are it can be a little confusing to get a solid loop in.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'd say Hillman or Bradys Run for close to airport. Bradys has way more elevation, like North park. I can guide you around there if our free times work out. Hillman is more isolated and intimidating if riding alone and you're not familiar with the place, IMO. Montour Woods and Settlers are closer, but not as nice other options.

Hermit
    There are trails just to the east of the airport at Montour Woods Conservation Area, off of Hassam Road just before it crosses Montour Run.

Don't know much about the trails. I do have a map however.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry

My insignificant blog:

mtbr member
    Hillman is real easy to get lost, i have only been out there a handful of times and everytime i get lost.

The trails Steve Z talks about are real nice and is a good loop, one huge mountain to climb though but other than that ita pretty flat, i think its called hollow oak or something like that.

The White Jeff W
    Rode Bavington this afternoon. It was awesome! After Saturday Bavington is closed to mountain biking through the end of May for Spring Gobbler. You can still ride on Sundays, though.

Western PA-11096596_10206853120276404_5887379841469814579_n.jpg
    No moss...

mtbr member
    ok cool montour woods? I will start some research. yea love exploring new stuff but i know what you mean as far as getting lost doubling back and all that noise can be a real bummer on a new track.

Like a BOSS
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Rode Bavington this afternoon. It was awesome! After Saturday Bavington is closed to mountain biking through the end of May for Spring Gobbler. You can still ride on Sundays, though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11096596_10206853120276404_5887379841469814579_n.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	988439
    Thank you for posting that since I wasn't aware.
    I was up there last Thursday and again on Sunday with Lee (LRSH92) and yes, the trails were awesome! We ended up sticking to the Time Trial Loop, which section did you end up riding?
    Adam Christopher
    ♦ Intense M16c Pro
    ♦ Santa Cruz Nomad cc
    ♦ Santa Cruz 5010 cc

The White Jeff W
    I did the lower end where the pine race track is, the loop off Knowlton Road and the figure 8
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've been wanting to do this ride for a couple years now, but never got around to it. I got a little lost up by the pool and toward the end, after the golf course trails, but was able to find my way. Up until today I've only ridden a couple sections of North Park, and only been there 4 times total. Awesome day to ride!

Squ-eti
    was up at 7 springs after the rains stopped on Sunday. village trail, rock garden, the stuff around Lake Chestnut, and over to the airport were in good shape. didn't get to ride the 24 hr loop, and the bike park wasn't open yet.

mtbr member
    rode boyce a couple days ago. met a couple cool guys at the log cabin and they gave me a great tour. awesome bunch of single track. tons of fun. you got more rain out west than we have in philly so the trials were slick but still fun

went back the next day and rode solo at Boyce. got a little lost in all the off shoots but its was still a great loop

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yellow Creek State Park.

Quoted for truth! Yellow Creek is indeed an awesome loop. One of the most diverse loops I can think of in terms of the terrain. You get more than a little of everything.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Laurel Mtn & Quebec Run are my favorite trails in the state. In order to have the full LM experience you need to start at Linn Run State Park, climb Quarry Run and then get on Fish Run to connect to the ridge. Quebec Run is almost 200' of (rocky) climbing per mile of singletrack, so it's best to show up there in the best shape of your life, if possible.

mtbr member
    I dont find rocks all that fun. Give me smooth single track anyday

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast