Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Western PA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    My bike group is riding Frick sunday morning, im a little worried with the car race in town parking will be limited.
    Conditions are perfect. I rode their today. Where are you all parking. Frick is far enough away from schenley park area it shouldnít be a problem. Try parking at the environmental center if possible. Another idea is to park on the regent square side at the tennis courts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    My bike group is riding Frick sunday morning, im a little worried with the car race in town parking will be limited.
    The race is at Schenley Park and won't affect Frick Park at all. I think I'm going to go on that ride as well so maybe I'll see you there.

Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    Conditions are perfect. I rode their today. Where are you all parking. Frick is far enough away from schenley park area it shouldnít be a problem. Try parking at the environmental center if possible. Another idea is to park on the regent square side at the tennis courts
    My GF and I just cleaned up all of Bradema (removed fallen tree, cleared out knotweed from lower section, and added dirt to jump lips and big log pile) in the last two days so other than the one large tree down in the ravine it is good to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post

I believe this is where we parked, it was so hot I really did not enjoy the ride. North park is still my favorite in the Pittsburgh area.

mtbr member

Western PA

I believe this is where we parked, it was so hot I really did not enjoy the ride. North park is still my favorite in the Pittsburgh area.
    I rode North Park today. It was smoking hot. We did 19 miles and were soaked with sweat. I couldnít wait to get to the water station at the end of Pfundstein. Itís going to cool down a little this week. I am pumped.

Last edited by coolhand80; 07-15-2018 at 03:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Rode a few trails at laurel mountain. Was up there camping. Did wolf's rocks, beams and silvermine I think. Was too damn tired to do anything else. I always wanted to win a race so I won a race a beams rocks...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Anyone ride North Park lately? Are the trails ridable or is it too muddy? I might be in that area tomorrow afternoon, but looks like it might rain tonight or tomorrow morning.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rav400 View Post
    Anyone ride North Park lately? Are the trails ridable or is it too muddy? I might be in that area tomorrow afternoon, but looks like it might rain tonight or tomorrow morning.
    I rode NP yesterday even after it rained the night before. Totally fine and they needed a little moisture anyways. They drain awesome so aside from a couple wet spots in the low sections that always have some pooling, youíre good. Did North Ridge to Kotobuki to Golf Course FWIW, so about 12 Miles.

Bikes
    Hey fellow mtbrs, Iím visiting My girls fam in the Irwin area and of next week. Looking for people to hook up with for a tour of frick? Anyone care to show me the goods? Lmk thanks

mtbr member
    Iím in Irwin. You should def check out White Oak park for some very local single track.

Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by antgrave View Post
    Iím in Irwin. You should def check out White Oak park for some very local single track.
    I did a quick ride thru there last winter. My ladies fam is like almost across the st from that place. Seems pretty cool but small. Any chance you can hook up for a ride somewhere? A tour would be nice

mtbr member
    Yea I can but I donít know Frick. I usually ride at White Oak or Pleasant Valley Park. Laurel Mountain too, but itís about an hour East. I could meet at Frick prob and we can figure it out if you want!

Bikes
    Yea I can but I donít know Frick. I usually ride at White Oak or Pleasant Valley Park. Laurel Mountain too, but itís about an hour East. I could meet at Frick prob and we can figure it out if you want!
    Yeah dude Iíd be up for that. I just donít want to ride alone out there. Iíd even be up
    For white oak if you know that well too. But frick seems a little larger. How many miles are in white oak anyways like 6?

Bikes
    Iíll be there Thursday Friday Saturday. A morning ride would be ace if you can do any of those.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    If you loop White Oak properly you can get 10-11 miles. Frick will net you over 20 if you do all the cool stuff. Love to show ya around but can't make any days in the morning.

Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by gdb85 View Post
    If you loop White Oak properly you can get 10-11 miles. Frick will net you over 20 if you do all the cool stuff. Love to show ya around but can't make any days in the morning.
    Doesnít have to be morning. Just let me know when you can. Iím up for whatever. Be great to have a Tour de frick too.
    Iíd be happy to ride both places and meet up with any of you. Iím staying about a mile from Rivertown pub 👍🏼

mtbr member
    I can lead a ride around Frick Park either Saturday morning or Thurs/Friday evening after 6pm. I live close to Frick and ride there more than any other park. White Oak is fun too.

Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44 View Post
    I can lead a ride around Frick Park either Saturday morning or Thurs/Friday evening after 6pm. I live close to Frick and ride there more than any other park. White Oak is fun too.

Ok Iím open for either. Be cool to get a group going so anyone else that wants to ride chime in, I can do any of those times.

Bikes
    Letís do this, when can everyone ride and where? That way we can set this up. I can ride whenever, I just need to plan ahead so I can let the mrs know exactly what my plans are. Ya know I have to spend time with her and the fam too lol 😂

Bikes
    Ok so talked to my lady. Thursday we are doing stuff with her fam. Sat morning at Frick is a go, and then if someone wants to do White oak on Friday just lmk what time

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I could do Frick Sat morn around 10:00-10:30, probably get a few folks to join in too. If thats too late it's cool I understand.

If thats good for everyone shoot me PM for contact info...

Bikes
    I could do Frick Sat morn around 10:00-10:30, probably get a few folks to join in too. If thats too late it's cool I understand.

If thats good for everyone shoot me PM for contact info...

I'm good with that time. how bout you justmtb?
    i sent you my number gdb.

can i get you dudes names? mine should be pretty obvious lol

Im from Boston BTW

Bikes
    so Bob (gdb85) and I have set a 1030 for frick on Sat morning. I'm sure we could change that slightly to include others if we have to, but i hope some of you can make this. keep us posted
    2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT
    2016 Rocky Mountain Blizzard
    2018 Cannondale Synapse
    2000something canfeild Jedi

mtbr member
    10:30am at Frick works for me. Where do you want to meet? The parking lot next to the clay Tennis courts on Braddock is convenient for most people, but the Lower Frick lot tends to be less crowded. All of the parking areas are shown on the MTBproject map. https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8009975/frick-park

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I suggested the tennis courts for no other reason than thats where we always park, lol. Head down the gravel to Dinky bridge pop out down by the creek. cross over do 276 head out to Crater then the Slags back to Social go up do Roller Coaster out to Homeless camp back up to Corpse Trough over to Irish back up Social go do Bradema and finish up back to the tennis courts.

JustMtn we may or may not know each other or have ridden with each other, won't know until Sat. I'm Bob Kowalski, "garage door bob" in certain circles, lol.

mtbr member
    North Park>Frick Park
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    North Park>Frick Park
    I disagree

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Both are great in there own way. Cant beat Frick for being in the city, pretty darn nice trails, maybe the only drawback and not a knock at all is the gravel double track to connect things. NP has over 35 miles if you know it and you do everything. Such a wide variety of trails too. You could debate for days which is better but we are quite blessed in the Pgh area with great trails to ride and most are with in 2hrs drive time, many closer...
    Frick
    North Park
    South Park
    Hartwood
    Boyce
    White Oak
    Hollow Oak
    Bavington
    Yellow Creek
    Big Bear
    Moraine
    Laurel
    Seven Springs
    Anybody from out of town could and would enjoy a week in Pgh for MTB riding.
    Last edited by gdb85; 08-08-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Bikes
    Both are great in there own way. Cant beat Frick for being in the city, pretty darn nice trails, maybe the only drawback and not a knock at all is the gravel double track to connect things. NP has over 35 miles if you know it and you do everything. Such a wide variety of trails too. You could debate for days which is better but we are quite blessed in the Pgh are with great trails to ride and most are with in 2hrs drive time, many closer...
    Frick
    North Park
    South Park
    Hartwood
    Boyce
    White Oak
    Hollow Oak
    Bavington
    Yellow Creek
    Big Bear
    Moraine
    Laurel
    Seven Springs
    Hell yeah man! Perhaps when Iím back for Xmas we can give NP a go. Iíd love to see a different trail system with each visit.

mtbr member
    North Park>Frick Park
    I rode North Park last Saturday for the first time this year, although I used to ride there a lot more often. I like North Park a lot, but to me Frick Park is more fun by far. NP has more singletrack miles and less gravel/road sections which is great. But there is more climbing overall and not many features (aside from the Freeride trail and skills park). Every time I ride Frick I have a blast, even though I ride it at least once a week. I would give Frick another ride or two before casting judgment, but also recommend don't bother going to the slags trails as those a) aren't park of Frick Park and b) aren't fun unless you ride them several times to learn them so you can keep your speed up.

Both are great in there own way. Cant beat Frick for being in the city, pretty darn nice trails, maybe the only drawback and not a knock at all is the gravel double track to connect things. NP has over 35 miles if you know it and you do everything. Such a wide variety of trails too. You could debate for days which is better but we are quite blessed in the Pgh are with great trails to ride and most are with in 2hrs drive time, many closer...

Agreed, although most parks are still hard to find your way around for someone not familiar with the trails which limits our appeal as an MTB destination.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Yep, didn't mean a destination point per say. Just that someone from the area could entertain a group from out of town and they would not feel cheated in any way at all.

mtbr member
    These are both interesting points. I actually would argue that it could be a destination area, though agree there are a lot of places where you are going to have a much better time if you're with someone who knows the particular area well. Though with options like mtbproject etc it's getting easier to venture off somewhere new on your own.

I admittedly don't make it to the areas immediately around Pittsburgh (North Park, Frick, etc) but one of the things I like best about some of the surrounding areas is they are almost like best-kept secrets. Places like Laurel Mountain, Yellow Creek, Quebec Run. Weeknights you practically have the trail systems to yourself, weekends you run into a few people here and there.

When you read on general forums, bike mags, etc one of the biggest issues/debates seems to be trail use and conflicts and access. We're really blessed not to have that problem at all.

The White Jeff W
    Both are great in there own way. Cant beat Frick for being in the city, pretty darn nice trails, maybe the only drawback and not a knock at all is the gravel double track to connect things. NP has over 35 miles if you know it and you do everything. Such a wide variety of trails too. You could debate for days which is better but we are quite blessed in the Pgh area with great trails to ride and most are with in 2hrs drive time, many closer...
    Frick
    North Park
    South Park
    Hartwood
    Boyce
    White Oak
    Hollow Oak
    Bavington
    Yellow Creek
    Big Bear
    Moraine
    Laurel
    Seven Springs
    No love for Brady's Run?
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Lol, to be quite honest, I've been riding MTB in the Pgh area since 89 and have never been to Brady's Run...

mtbr member
    You should definitely check it out

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Anybody been out since the rain earlier this week? How are the conditions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EngRWW33 View Post
    I rode Frick yesterday evening to check on conditions. It is very wet, as in some areas have water running across or down the trail, but overall the ground is firm and not muddy. There are at least 6 trees down. I would recommend giving it another day or so to dry out, but it should be fine for the weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EngRWW33 View Post
    I'm giving Laurel Mt a shot this afternoon, I can post an update. After weather last weekend prevented any riding I'm getting cranky and willing to go for it today.

I'm planning to avoid the worst draining trails and assume it will generally be OK, though probably still wet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Rode North Ridge stuff at North Park last night. 98% fine, just a little extra slippery in the low stuff. That place drains so well, itís generally going to take a hurricane to take it out of commission for very long. Oh wait...

Hermit
    I saw on FB that the new trail at Jake's Rocks, 'Ursus', will be opening on Saturday.

Think I might head over there and check it out. Looks awesome on the teaser clip.
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell View Post
    I'm giving Laurel Mt a shot this afternoon, I can post an update. After weather last weekend prevented any riding I'm getting cranky and willing to go for it today.

I'm planning to avoid the worst draining trails and assume it will generally be OK, though probably still wet.
    TR:

About what I expected. The trails that drain well were okay. Places that don't drain well there was still standing water.

In general the ground has a very soft, spongy quality that required about twice as much effort as normal for power.

And unfortunately, which may have been exclusive to the ridge, about one-third of my ride it was pouring rain. Which was unexpected.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    LHORBA/PORC Annual ride and picnic tomorrow at Laurel Mountain. Parking across from ski slope. Rides at 11:00 (different levels), picnic after rides 3-4:00. Bring food and beverage.

mtbr member
    Anyone doing any new riding? I've been stranded after getting a new vehicle. Waiting on a hitch and rack to get here. Want to get out and crunch some leaves.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by doabackflip View Post
    Anyone doing any new riding? I've been stranded after getting a new vehicle. Waiting on a hitch and rack to get here. Want to get out and crunch some leaves.

just popped in here after a long time off...im in Butler ( bout 40 north of pittsburgh) and i ride Alameda Park as my home turf its really great.
    be down for a meet and ride too if anyone wants to link up..im there almost every day

mtbr member
    Cool, I want to ride there!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Cool, I want to ride there!
    its great...check out the facebook : Alameda Singletrack

Hermit
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Eye View Post
    its great...check out the facebook : Alameda Singletrack
    I ventured over from eastern Ohio one time this summer to ride at Alameda. I was surprised at how nice it was, especially considering that it's right in town.

If my damn work schedule would permit I'd sure like to head over again for some fall riding. Might happen, might not.
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

Western PA

I will be back in town (cranberry area)for a few days over thanksgiving holiday. Need to find a place to rent a bike and ride. Any suggestions.

Ride first, drinks after!

@endo_2011

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If youíre interested in an Ibis, Santa Cruz, or Transition, check out Trailflo Bikes. You can ride out the door and over to North Park.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusker View Post
    If youíre interested in an Ibis, Santa Cruz, or Transition, check out Trailflo Bikes. You can ride out the door and over to North Park.

Awesome. Havenít ridden north park in over 5 years. Have they put in any aggressive lines or is it still pretty cross country?

Ride first, drinks after!

@endo_2011

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by endo_2012 View Post
    Awesome. Havenít ridden north park in over 5 years. Have they put in any aggressive lines or is it still pretty cross country?

Thereís some fun downhill stuff. Look up videos from Dr. Jís there. The Kotobuki downhill is also fun. The pool area is your best bet in the park.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    i would say check out Alameda , North Park or Brady's Run. Alameda is XC/AM with a bunch of really fun downhills , banked turns and very well thought out...plus really nice looking this time of year. i just went to brady's run yesterday for the first time yesterday. we had to leave super early due to a broken bike part but from what i saw it was really cool. tons of ACTUAL mountains ha. as far as where to rent im not sure.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345