went riding in jim thorpe- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

went riding in jim thorpe

i finally got up to jim thorpe to go riding yesterday. it was a lot of fun. me and another friend took a buddy thats never been riding before so we rode the switchback trail. we got directions to the trail at blue mountain sports, where we rented a bike for our friend. the trail itself wasn't really anything amazing. i'm sure the more i get up there, i'll find other trails that are more challenging. there are some cool features on the trail tho. theres an area on the upper part of the trail where you have to cross this narrow ledge/cliff (you can ride around it if you don't want to try it out). then, since the whole ride seems to gradually go up hill, there the down hill at the end its just this staight crazy, crazy steep descent (also avoidable i believe). overall it was a fun day, even if we were on a beginer trail. the friend we took out liked the sport too.i'm going to try and get up there again in about two weeks to find some other trails.

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by too40sx
    theres an area on the upper part of the trail where you have to cross this narrow ledge/cliff (you can ride around it if you don't want to try it out).
    It looks like this from the bottom (notice the old coal mine)

More pics:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=26550

there the down hill at the end its just this staight crazy, crazy steep descent (also avoidable i believe).
    You have to go back the way you came to avoid it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    That "... straight crazy, crazy steep descent (also avoidable i believe)" you describe at one time was closed to riding, you had to walk your bike, they were rehabbing/revegetating it because it was in very bad shape and eroded away. A few years ago was the last time I was on it, so if no signs saying closed to biking, it's probably cleaned up now.

There is a way to avoid it. See this map, that steep descent was between three and two on the map. There's another trail down the mountain, see the red line going south from the "four" dot. I think it's called the wagon trail, or something like that. It's steeper, and s-surved. BTW, Carbon County has a nice free map of the entire switchback trail at Mauch Chunk Lake park.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by XCoalMiner
    That "... straight crazy, crazy steep descent (also avoidable i believe)" you describe at one time was closed to riding, you had to walk your bike, they were rehabbing/revegetating it because it was in very bad shape and eroded away. A few years ago was the last time I was on it, so if no signs saying closed to biking, it's probably cleaned up now.

There is a way to avoid it. See this map, that steep descent was between three and two on the map. There's another trail down the mountain, see the red line going south from the "four" dot. I think it's called the wagon trail, or something like that. It's steeper, and s-surved. BTW, Carbon County has a nice free map of the entire switchback trail at Mauch Chunk Lake park.

didn't see any signs and the trail was in good shape. i thought that was the wagon trail b/c thats how we were trying to get down. the little hand drawn map from blue mountain sport wasn't the greatest. next tuesday me and another friend are goin up so i'll try and get down on whats probably the more appropriate way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you came down what is shown in this pic then you came down the part of the trail I was referring to, ... it should have been grassy and with logs or railroad ties on the edges.

Of course that pic is from 60+ years ago. Present day, at the bottom there's a baseball field, and a residential neighborhood. The Wagon Road (thats the correct name I believe) is rocky and curved, no baseball field at the bottom, it comes out between two houses and dumps you directly into a paved, residential street.

P.S, tlg: that photo is an auxilliary ventilation tunnel to a coal mine, it's not the actual entrance to the mine. If it were, there'd be abandoned infrastructure and rusting equipment lying around, and piles of black coal-like waste rock. The entrances to the underground mines on that mountain are on the ridgeline of the mountain, and the north slope of the mountain (IIRC). They are all sealed up, you'd not really see them.

mtbr member
    I'm going to be riding Tamaqua the Saturday of Labor day weekend. I can't wait. Got off the Penn Turnpike at the Jim Thorpe Exit... man I miss that place. We're talkinga about camping there in Oct.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by XCoalMiner
    If you came down what is shown in this pic then you came down the part of the trail I was referring to, ... it should have been grassy and with logs or railroad ties on the edges.

Of course that pic is from 60+ years ago. Present day, at the bottom there's a baseball field, and a residential neighborhood. The Wagon Road (thats the correct name I believe) is rocky and curved, no baseball field at the bottom, it comes out between two houses and dumps you directly into a paved, residential street.

P.S, tlg: that photo is an auxilliary ventilation tunnel to a coal mine, it's not the actual entrance to the mine. If it were, there'd be abandoned infrastructure and rusting equipment lying around, and piles of black coal-like waste rock. The entrances to the underground mines on that mountain are on the ridgeline of the mountain, and the north slope of the mountain (IIRC). They are all sealed up, you'd not really see them.

it was exactly what's in that pic, baseball field at the bottom too.