weekly wissahickon night ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    it would be a monday and tuesday thing for me...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

weekly wissahickon night ride?

hey, anyone up for starting a weekly night ride at the wiss?

i am thinking maybe 5:30-6 start time and am game pretty much for any night.... i actually think fridays would be particularly hot and a good way to start the weekend!

anyone want to try and get a weekly thing going? obviously we'd still need lights for a while (i have some old crappy ones).

i would say lets give this week for debate (i f-ed up my wrist out at belmont on saturday, so no riding till at least this weekend for me i think) and pick a day for next week.

who's in?

it could even switch nights from week to week depending on schedules/weather.

Freshly Fujified

I'd be interested

Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill

i am thinking maybe 5:30-6 start time and am game pretty much for any night.... i actually think fridays would be particularly hot and a good way to start the weekend!
    I have my own lights, and would be available on alternating Friday evenings based on other commitments. Monday nights work for me also, and I could be available almost any Monday.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Inbred Homebrewer

My advice?

1. Don't switch nights. Pick a night, and stick with it. You'll never be able to cater to every individual's schedule, no matter how hard you try. Call it the friday night ride. People will either make time in their schedules or they won't, but it's easiest for them to do that consistently if they never have to second-guess which night "this week's" ride is on.

2. Push the start time back. It's a night ride, w/ lights, so there's no need to worry about starting early and riding before dark. Turnout will almost certainly be better w/ a 6:30 start, especially if it's a friday night. I know that, personally, I could never make it from work (in NJ) to Wissahickon by 5:30 or even 6:00 most nights, unless I leave work early (and that's not always an option).

That said, I have lights (my L&M Arc + one spare set Nightsun Team Max) and I'd be up for a weekly ride. Prefer friday, but would make time on other nights if necessary.
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    I have lights and wendsay or thursday nights works better for me.

Freshly Fujified

Night and time

I would agree with Stick regarding the day and time. Pick a night and stick to it. Make it just a little later to allow people to get home and for the sun to set. I'll go with Friday or whatever works for the rest of the group.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    We have a group that has been going on Thursday nights. We usually leave from Northwestern Ave and start at about 7:30. However, these plans may change. I just saw on the news that the park is implementing a curfew from 8pm to 6 am through 3/31. They have done this for a few years now for deer control. I don't know about you guys, but getting shot in the a** by a sharpshooter is not my idea of fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by meridesNRS
    We have a group that has been going on Thursday nights. We usually leave from Northwestern Ave and start at about 7:30. However, these plans may change. I just saw on the news that the park is implementing a curfew from 8pm to 6 am through 3/31. They have done this for a few years now for deer control. I don't know about you guys, but getting shot in the a** by a sharpshooter is not my idea of fun.
    yeah i just saw those signs too! so there will be snipers in the woods at night till the end of march?

great....

i will look for more info.

as for the start time 6:30 is about as late as i can go. i get up pretty early for work most days and can't stay out too late or i turn into a pumpkin or something

fridays @ 6:30 sounds good to me so far.

but to everyone else, start your own ride! or just post up here with some warning... with the traffic we seem to have here we should be able to make semi-spontaneous nightrides possible! i just need enough warning to charge the lights and tell my girlfriend i won't be home.

Inbred Homebrewer
    yeah i just saw those signs too! so there will be snipers in the woods at night till the end of march?
    Yeah, IIRC, the winter curfew has been imposed almost every year - going back at least as far as 2000...perhaps 1999.

It causes a big stir in the local media every year. There are some people who simply can't comprehend that Wissahickon and Pennypack can only sustain small herds (roughly 25 - 35 per park). If you do some digging online, you'll see that the deer population (left unchecked) quickly grew to 10 - 15X those numbers - essentially grazing several native plant species to near-extinction in the process.

There are others who don't necessarily mind the hunt itself, but who feel that it's carried out in an unsafe manner - so they protest that.

Personally, I like to think that so-called "sharp-shooters" whose sole purpose is to harvest deer in the dark come to the park prepared w/ specialized night-vision scopes, etc. - and - hopefully they're intelligent enough to recognize a bright-assed ARC headlamp for what it is. (i.e. they aren't just trigger-happy morons shooting at anything that rustles in the leaves.) In previous years, the hunters were hired by the PA Dept of Agriculture - they don't just open the park to anyone w/ a PA hunting license.

That said, I abide by the curfew when it's in effect. Better safe than sorry, eh?
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    so i was down there yesterday to re-read the signs.

yup, from now till 3-31 the curfew is from 8pm-6am.

that said i am still down for the nightride next friday.

we could initially meet up in the andorra shopping center parking lot (so no cars get ticketed for disobeying curfew) at 6:30 ride for an hour and a half and make sure we are on forbidden drive heading home by 8ish....

that would give s an hour and a half.... i am not sure my lights are good for more than that anyway.

who's with me? we can really meet wherever i just suggest that lot as it is close to both my home and the trails!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    ne1 riding this week day or night??

anyone want to try and get a weekly thing going? obviously we'd still need lights for a while (i have some old crappy ones).

i would say lets give this week for debate (i f-ed up my wrist out at belmont on saturday, so no riding till at least this weekend for me i think) and pick a day for next week.

who's in?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kevc5555
    ne1 riding this week day or night??
    Good question. Any rides happening this week?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    there won't be any good riding till we get a hard freeze!!!!

i am waiting till sunday and even then i am going to belmont not wiss.

so no night rides this week... and unless you like sinking up to your hubs in mud and destroying the trails i suggest you wait as well.

but post up if you want to ride! i am up for it whenever the trails dry out again.

i was out there last night on my xc-skis; holy carp is it wet and sloppy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Anybody know if the trails are frozen yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    id be down for a nite ride, but i dont have lights. anyone have an extra?

Members who have read this thread: 0