Weekend Ride Pics- Mtbr.com
    Freshly Fujified

Weekend Ride Pics

Here are a few pics from this weekend's ride. Nothing action related, unfortunately, but I wanted to post them anyway. Chip, Stick, electric_mustard (wtf is electric mustard?) Stymie and me all met at 8 am and took off to the trails near Ralph Stover ( I was quickly reminded that the Ralph's twin brother "Russel" was the candy guy, and that I was referring to the park by an incorrect name. Go figure...a 230 lb man associating a park with candy). Anyway, the first pic is of us getting prepared for the ride. The next three are pics at an over look, as well as a pic of the "I can't remember the name of the river, but it sounded like an Indian name" river. I'm sure the real name of the river is much shorter. (get the feeling names pass in one ear and out the other for me?) The next pic is of the crew getting ready to head out onto the next leg of the adventure. This pic is also indicative of the pose struck by 4 of the 5 of us, every 10 minutes or so, having to wait for someone (whose name will not be mentioned) to catch up, typically wheezing, and walking their bike. The last pic is the end of the ride, getting ready to head out to Triumph Brewing Company for some libations and food. At least I kept pace with the eating part of the days events. It was great to get back out on the bike, and the crew that went made it all that much the better. Yet another very positive experience I've had in meeting folks from the PA forum for the first time.

I'll let the others comment on the ride. I had a great time, and found the trails to be challenging. Lots of climbs (I call them "walks") plenty of flowing singletrack, various technical terrain, and enough rock gardens to warrant the obligatory mechanical failure. If you've never been to this park (and once again, the name escapes me, but it's right near Stover) you should check it out.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    sweet!!!

i'd be up for checking that out sometime! how far is it from wissahickon do you figure? trail milage?

Freshly Fujified

An hour + ride, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    sweet!!!

i'd be up for checking that out sometime! how far is it from wissahickon do you figure? trail milage?
    It's in Bucks county, somewhat close to New Hope. I'd have to defer to Stick for more detailed info on location as well as trail milage. My understanding is that there are a good number of trails on both sides of that creek. You could probably spend a day there and not hit the same trail twice.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member

For what it's worth

The name of the creek is the Tohickan.
    JMK

Freshly Fujified

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkad
    JMK
    I appreciate the heads up. I'm horrible with names....

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by jkad
    JMK
    Actually, it's Tohickon - but you're close enough.
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    sweet!!!

From Wissahickon? Just a rough estimate, but probably ~ 35 mi or so. The main trail is short...*maybe* 7 miles around. There are other trails to explore (along the base of the cliff, on other side of creek, etc etc) but most are unrideable - either due to their difficulty, their exposure, overcrowding by climbers & equipment, or their being on private property (BSA property).

Not worth the trip. Really. I mean that. It's a boring place. Ugly too.

May 2004
    bob, stick(andy) let me know if you guys want to come up on the new stuff in bethlehem or i'd come down to ride down there. Maybe hook up with trek mike at core creek.

joe

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackamo
    bob, stick(andy) let me know if you guys want to come up on the new stuff in bethlehem or i'd come down to ride down there. Maybe hook up with trek mike at core creek.

joe
    That's Sticky Andy, to you Sir. Any time, Joe. In fact, I was thinking about heading up to your neck of the woods in the near future. New stuff in Bethlehem, eh? This weekend's out, but shoot me a p.m. and we'll set something up.

Freshly Fujified

Sounds like a plan

Quote Originally Posted by Hackamo

joe
    Next Saturday morning would work for me. Mike PM'd me about potentially hitting Tohickon. I'm open for whatever the masses chooce.

Bob

Phatt Tire Luva'

Sooner rather than later...

What is a going on PA forum crew!

Sounds like you guys had a good time!

I would like to come out on one of your ventures as well. I have heard several of you talk about other great places locally before. Some directed at one of my postings. Anyway, next time you guys are headed out, if possible I would like to join you. Some times it becomes a bit hard to get away - to far, as I am a student at PCOM. With that said, I do live just across the street from the Wiss. entrance on Gorgas, just off of Ridge Ave.

Hope to see you all soon!

-Al-

p.s. If any of you guys ride over at Wiss. regularly, you can't miss me. I am the only one usually riding (Red KONA) with my two best friends - who happened to be four-legged! One big the other little, both brown.
    Last edited by Qanuk; 02-01-2006 at 07:28 PM. Reason: additional info

Respect Your Trails
    If you guys don't mind "the more the merrier" I'd like to join up a few times too. I've been to pretty much all the places you guys have been riding, but because most of my friends don't ride, or thier bikes are collecting dust, I usually go out solo. I used to ride the Wiss everyday, but since moving, I acutally hit up Ralph Stover more often than not. I've gotten a few invites from Hackamo, (thanks) but haven't had the chance to meet up with those guys recently....although I just missed you guys a few months back when meeting at Bear Creek.
    Anyway, the more SE PA area bikers that can come together and form some masses, the better.... especially when we can represent biking as a whole, with a group of good people. Ralph Stover for example is constantly on a thin line between allowing bikes and banning them. Well, off my soapbox... plain and simple, I like to ride, so if you don't mind a tag along, toss a heads up on the board and myself and Qanuk can hopefully meet up.

Freshly Fujified

Watch the forum

Quote Originally Posted by dahoos
    If you guys don't mind "the more the merrier" I'd like to join up a few times too. plain and simple, I like to ride, so if you don't mind a tag along, toss a heads up on the board and myself and Qanuk can hopefully meet up.
    Group "open initation" type rides happen often and they get posted here. Always great to meet and ride with new people.

Bob

Members who have read this thread: 0