Wanted: Clarion/Little Toby Trail reviews- Mtbr.com

May 2008

Wanted: Clarion/Little Toby Trail reviews

Hello all.
    I'm thinking of riding on the Clarion/Little Toby Trail (suppoedly a rails-to-trails project) this summer, and I am looking for anyone who has ridden it to give a review. I'm planning on going from Brockway to Ridgway and back.

Any help you can give would help.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    It is a straight forward rail trail, the surface is crushed stone. There is a big community park at the trailhead in Brockway. From there, the trail goes north, passing some hunting camps before entering Gamelands. There are some old ruins of a quarry? along this section.

The trails goes under PA 979 and turns E along the Clarion River and also parallels a active railroad track. There is is a short detour out onto PA 979 ( I think to get around some private land) and then back onto the RR grade. The trail terminates at a parking lot in Ridgeway, but don't stop there, take a ride around Ridgeway, the main street is pretty nice and there a some good looking houses from the lumbering days. The Gazebo and benches at the Courthouse are a nice place to a take a break prior to the return ride to Brockway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The trail is excellent and very quiet from brockway down to Route 949. After that you are along the rd for only a few short sections and the views of the river are terrific.

For some of the history and sights.....

http://www.pavisnet.com/tcrtt/

For other info, Loves Canoe in Ridgway is quite knowledgeable and can guide you to other MTB riding in the area.

http://www.ncentral.com/~dlove/

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Rode that trail....

a few years ago and stopped at Love's Canoe to see my friend Dave Love who was the leader in getting that trail open. He's a great guy!

The old quarry is really cool to roam around off the rail/trail, and ask Dave about one trail called deer path or something like that. Dave told us about that and we rode it also.

It was very enjoyable riding out there on vacation for a few days.

May 2008
    Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to it.

I've only been riding for about a year, and this will be my first "epic" trip, although it's probably what a lot of you guys would call a short ride. I train about 15-18 miles a day, when the sun is out, and I'm hoping I can do the 40 or so miles I'll need to get from Brockway to Ridgway and back.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Some suggestions:

Bring lot's of hydration, power gel or something like it, a power bar or 2, a spare tube and pump. I find a mini computer is good to track mileage so you can pace yourself, also a chain tool and quick link, a camera so you can post your pics here on MTBR so we can view your great trip, and most of all enjoy yourself...LOL

Good luck and success to you

May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    Some suggestions:

Bring lot's of hydration, power gel or something like it, a power bar or 2, a spare tube and pump. I find a mini computer is good to track mileage so you can pace yourself, also a chain tool and quick link, a camera so you can post your pics here on MTBR so we can view your great trip, and most of all enjoy yourself...LOL

Good luck and success to you
    Thanks for the head's up. I have made a packing list and I have that stuff on it, including the computer, which was the first thing I bought when I started riding.

I have a 100-oz. hydration pack and I plan on bringing along the necessities. I have family in Ridgway that I plan on seeing for a couple hours after the first leg, so I hope that break will be enough to get me home.

Thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 0