Visiting Reading, 9/19 to 9/24, need ride advice...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Visiting Reading, 9/19 to 9/24, need ride advice...

I'll be in Reading (from Oregon) on September 19th thru the 24th. I get to act as chauffeur for my aging parents who will be in town visiting relatives. It will be my first trip back since childhood.

While I'm there I'd like to bring riding gear and rent a bike for a couple of outings. I'm an experienced rider looking for advice on a good rental shop (prefer full sus), and places to ride in the area. I'm even open to meeting a local for a guided session!

The parents are late risers so my best ride time option will most likely be in the mornings till around noon or so. I'm up for rides up to couple/3 hours.

Thanks in advance for the communities insight and guidance.

mtbr member
    Mt. Penn Mt. Penn Mt. Penn Mt. Penn Mt. Penn Mt. Penn Mt. Penn Mt. Penn

Otherwise Blue Marsh but the trails might be underwater.

Mt. Penn Mt. Penn Mt. Penn Mt. Penn Mt. Penn Mt. Penn Mt. Penn Mt. Penn
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Check bamba's site. Therre might be 1 of the locaks who would be willing to meet you.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the replies joshhan and mtnbiker64. Will definitely check out Mt Penn. I also looked at bamba's stuff online. That was a big help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Like others have and will say.... Mt Penn. You could give French Creek/Birdsboro a run if you're up for some rocks. As far as rental... Give JB's Bike Shop a call, I know he demos bikes quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm going to be in the Reading area next week as well. I'm only going to be able to ride on Monday.

I'm planning on riding Mt. Penn. I have the TrailForks app and there appears to be a ton of trails up loaded on the TrailForks site on Mt. Penn.

My questions for the locals are where should I park and what trails should I ride? I was planning on parking at the Egelman Park parking lot since it appears to be near the bottom of A-line trail. As far as the trails go, I'm always looking for jumps and drops. I don't usually shy away from black diamond trails. Jumps, drops, rock gardens, tech natural trails, flowy berms, I tend to ride it all. Just looking for fun trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Parking at Egelman will get you close to the majority of the jumps/drops etc. A-Line is good for that. I usually park at the lake (Angora Road) and climb up. There is a lot of fun single track on the downhill side from List Road that I would recommend. Take some time and hit them all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Sourdough, if you're renting a bike I would highly suggest Shirks, I believe they are $75 for a week. You can also rent from JB, not sure of his prices but it is closer to the city. If you're a size medium you'll be good to go as most all of JBs demos are med. Mt Penn is definitely going to be the ost fun and rowdy spot to ride, but don't count out Neversink, French Creek, or Birdsboro all of them are a lot of fun as well. Feel free to PM me as I have off Tuesdays and Weds and wouldn't mind showing you around! You can also contact Bamba as there are a few guys that are always ready any willing to show riders around.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rav400 View Post
    I'm going to be in the Reading area next week as well. I'm only going to be able to ride on Monday.

I'm planning on riding Mt. Penn. I have the TrailForks app and there appears to be a ton of trails up loaded on the TrailForks site on Mt. Penn.

My questions for the locals are where should I park and what trails should I ride? I was planning on parking at the Egelman Park parking lot since it appears to be near the bottom of A-line trail. As far as the trails go, I'm always looking for jumps and drops. I don't usually shy away from black diamond trails. Jumps, drops, rock gardens, tech natural trails, flowy berms, I tend to ride it all. Just looking for fun trails.
    I'd agree with Lark that the Angora Lake lot is a much better parking lot than Egelmans. From what I have seen/heard lately Egelmans has turned into a gay hookup spot, not sure if that's your thing, but I usually avoid that though there are a couple of cool trails that make there way down to Egelmans Park. I usually park at the lake lot simply because it forces me to climb, which I probably wouldn't do otherwise and also there are a couple (Dane's Run and Pineapple Express) awesome trails that you can take down to the lake lot.

Another decent parking option is the BAMBA lot (2 List Road) which is right in the middle of everything and is a popular place with riders to park. This is a good option with an easy climb to the firetower. There are a lot of fun trails around the firetower too, such as cub, red trail, NWA, T-Flow, C-Line and stage 3 to name a few.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperStang View Post
    I usually park at the lake lot simply because it forces me to climb, which I probably wouldn't do otherwise and also there are a couple
    I'm glad this thread came about. I'm always curious of what trails others use to climb up? I've started using the one with hippy rock pile, part of the gravel trail. Previously I was taking the trail prior that has turned too rutted out(for me at least).

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by theLark View Post
    I'm glad this thread came about. I'm always curious of what trails others use to climb up? I've started using the one with hippy rock pile, part of the gravel trail. Previously I was taking the trail prior that has turned too rutted out(for me at least).
    I have definitely taken that trail before and I think it's the easiest way up the mountain, but it also seems like it takes the longest. The way I've been going for the last few months is from the lake parking lot I'll head up the double track and bare left, then I'll take the next left. When that T's after 200 yards or so I take a right out to the fruit farm and immediately take a left after the stone wall and head up through the farm on some single-track that comes out on Prelude. I take a left on Prelude and this puts me right up near the BAMBA lot. Just seems a little better taking single track instead of the loose, rocky and steep double-track.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Good stuff. I'll probably raise the 'ol single finger salute to this weather and give it a shot tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Can't say I blame you there Lark! We rode the Bamba Tuesday night ride last night and it poured on us the whole time! Had a blast though!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Forget every other places, just stick with Mt. Penn especially in Reading area. I haven't ridden any other place since I started riding Mt. Penn.
    2012 S pecialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er

2017 SANTA CRUZ Hightower CC X01

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the info. I would probably park at the BAMBA lot then. However, it looks like rain now on Monday, so I probably won't ride or even bring by bike along on this business trip.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    last time I rode french creek there was a bit of downed trees and some trails are washed out. Still fun, but be careful.

Echos for Mt Penn, that place is the best around for sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I rode yesterday...a bit sloppy, but fun was had. Definitely don't miss it if you're in the area.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Weather is definatly looking better Wed/Thur/Fri, my best days to ride.
    I'm really looking forward to checking out Mt Penn.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Weather is definatly looking better Wed/Thur/Fri, my best days to ride.
    I'm really looking forward to checking out Mt Penn.
    Ahh c'mon you don't want to ride in a "Tropical Rainstorm" tomorrow?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    let us know how you liked it!