Upper Bucks- Mtbr.com

Thread: Upper Bucks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Upper Bucks

Moving to the perkasie area in November. What are some of the closer trails?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Ralph Stover/High Rocks is pretty close by. 40 minutes or so and you're at the Wissahickon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    What type of riding do you plan to do? XC, AM, DH?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I am curious about this also, I am down here in lansdale not to far from perkasie. what type of riding is ralph stover? I am looking for some good mountain biking through the woods with some challenge to the ride.

Thumbs Up!
    I don't know about your skills and what type of riding you like but, Green Lane is close to Perkasie. It's not quite as big and challenging as Ralph Stover and Wiss. If your into downhill or very techinical riding check out Bear Creek.

Green Lane
    http://parks.montcopa.org/parks/cwp/...rksNav,%7C.asp

Bear Creek
    http://bcmountainresort.com/summer/s...ainbiking.aspx
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinAce
    I am curious about this also, I am down here in lansdale not to far from perkasie. what type of riding is ralph stover? I am looking for some good mountain biking through the woods with some challenge to the ride.
    Ralph Stover is around a 5 mile loop (I think) with some technical/rocky sections.

I'm in Lansdale too and ride the Wissahickon much more than Ralph Stover. It's only 20-25 minutes away and has much more trail.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I also live in the Lansdale area. The wiss is the way to go! I think it blows Stover and green lane away! Check them all out and see what you think, but I bet you find the wiss is the best!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Where should I start out on the Wiss?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinAce
    Where should I start out on the Wiss?
    There are quite a few options really... check out this thread at phillymtb.org:

http://www.phillymtb.org/index.php?o...p&topic=1369.0

From the Lansdale area, I'd park at Northwestern Ave and head to Forbidden Drive, then pick a trail that looks good. The first trailhead you'll come to, heading towards Valley Green Inn, would be the Monster right after Bell's Mill Rd. For an introduction to the park, that might not be the best unless you're into brutal climbs right off the bat and that section can be confusing until you know it. I might ride past Valley Green Inn and then take the second trailhead you come to (not the one right by the Inn). Head up the cinder path then make a left onto the first trail you come to, then ride on. That's just my opinion, of course.

Also, the PMBA linked to above has organized rides weekly, and you'd quickly get to know the park.

Oh, and a permit is necessary for what they consider the "upper trails", which pretty much just means anything besides Forbidden Drive. http://www.fairmountpark.org/trailsintro.asp

I'm not advocating NOT getting a permit (especially if you start riding there regularly), but I will say I haven't seen anyone checking since the first ranger surge early this summer.

Good luck! It's a great place to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Try the Lehigh Valley, which is probably 35-40 minutes North of Perkasie. There is Sals, and a place or two to ride on South Mountain. All of them are rocky and technical of intermediate + to advanced difficulty and have a fair amount of climbing. 309 North takes you right over South mountain and gets pretty close to Sals.

Members who have read this thread: 0