Up in Erie till Friday- Mtbr.com
    Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Up in Erie till Friday

so that gives me two days to try and find some good riding.

I'm up here staying with a friend but she's working during the day so that gives me plenty of time to see what Erie has to offer. I've heard that North East has some decent trails, as well as Asbury Woods.

I'm on my light, fast, and somewhat beat hard tail, so nothing too crazy.

Any other suggestions?

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Well I ended up trying out Asbury Park on completely horrible day.

It rained all day, but after 10 minutes on the trails at Asbury and I forgot all about the rain, save the water on my glasses. It was a muddy mess but pleasantly surprising maze of interconnected single track. Nothing too crazy, nothing too difficult, and I wasn't expecting 20 miles of trails, but for being a relatively young park, it does well for itself.

Having ridden Moraine two days ago, I'd have to say that if you lived in Erie, I'm not sure the drive to Moraine would be worth it.

Asbury doesn't have the built trails of Moraine, but I'm sure that could be accomplished.

What Asbury does seem to offer is just a nice easy single track that you can get lost in. I rode for 2 hours and probably went everywhere in the park at least twice, save a few places. I got incredibly muddy, but I've had worse, especially considering the rain Erie has been getting.

Good trail for an experienced rider wanting something quick and easy, but a great trail for beginners who want challenging terrain but don't want 20 mile loops.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Asbury is one thing I miss about living in Erie, although I have a giant Asbury Woods in my backyard by the name of Frick Park. It's a 560 acre Asbury Woods.

Asbury is where I learned to ride. I'm anxious to come back and ride it, because even at almost 40 years old, my skill level has increased exponentially living/riding in the Pittsburgh area, and I've also become a runner since living down here, which seems to have enhanced my riding too.

I grew up in North East. The only trails that I know of around there where you won't meet up with ATV's and or dirt bikes is at Eaton Reservoir, and honestly, they aren't that great.
    Last edited by ScottRPriester; 09-03-2009 at 11:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    it's been so bloody rainy in NW PA this summer that mountain biking has been almost impossible, except for a couple weeks back in June.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite
    it's been so bloody rainy in NW PA this summer that mountain biking has been almost impossible, except for a couple weeks back in June.
    I can't get over all the rain Western PA has got this summer. I took this week off and just did a "Staycation" and it's been beautiful.

Members who have read this thread: 0