Try What? Trials in the NEPA woods- Mtbr.com
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! Try What? Trials in the NEPA woods

One night an IM popped up and it was long time friend JJ Gregorowicz, multi time national, and world bicycle trails champ inviting me to ride along with he and another friend of mine Lloyd Bayley AMA pro road racer and trials bike rider. Even Mike Romo came along...

Of course I jumped at the chance calling Big Daddy Todd to accompany me.

Knowing JJ for many years and having raced motorcycles with his dad we spent many a weekend at Motorama in Harrisburg in the month of February(too many...lol). Being used to the amazing riding skills of JJ and LLoyd I knew it would be a great time as well all the funny stories we would relive while riding together. The morning started out a bit slippy, but as good trials riders throwing caution to the wind as we did it just seems trials riders always have that luck of traction! JJ began amusing us with REALLY SCARY stuff on the edge of the edge of stuff...yikes! Then he moved on to finding BIG POINTY ROCKS to drop on from the distance equal to dropping out a second story window I can tell you he hasn't given up anything over the years. Just watching him you can see he is the master of technical terrain.

After a bit of mountain climbing we moved to a nice square ledge with just a slight bit of undercut where Lloyd showed every possible technique including: Jap Zaps, Front Wheel Rollouts and even old schooling a Pedal Hang or two while all the time telling ridiculous stories that kept us busting a gut. JJ filled in with a sidehop completely cleaning the plus 4 foot high ledge. It was like poetry in motion as he floated over the sharpe edge of the this ledge. The scary thing was the end of this ledge only 10 feet away is a 100 foot straight down
    rock drop!

Pics here at: http://nepmtba.piczo.com/nepmtbatria...linkvar=000044
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 04-13-2009 at 08:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Great pics! Where are those rocks at? My cousin, brother, and I used to compete in trials back in its heyday. It would be fun to mess around on some stuff again.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by MichauxYeti
    Great pics! Where are those rocks at? My cousin, brother, and I used to compete in trials back in its heyday. It would be fun to mess around on some stuff again.
    Located near Mocanaqua(Shickshinny)NEPA

Freek'in funny names of towns with "GREAT ROCKS" and lots of snakes in the summer time...LOL

Shoot me an PM if your interested in ride'em sometime. I'm sure JJ & Lloyd will be back

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nice pics!
    I used to climb in that area; mostly back in the quarry. There was (still is I hope) a spot called the "Library" that had some great, short sport routes. The spot in the photos looks like its over toward what we used to call the main wall or big wall.
    Good stuff

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

short movie

I saw that the guy (I suspect Big Daddy) in the background was holding a camcorder. Any chance that you'll be posting any video clips of the day. I love watching trials. I try to do it but, well, there's only so much skin to peel off and bones to chip. hats off to all of you.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Dougr:

Yes, it's all still there! The ledge up is right at the top of Main Wall. "SCARY" cause they were rolling out to get up the ledge then turning around with the ledge to their backs and dropping off back to the start point! Not for the weak of heart at all!

Jkraft:

That would be me with the vid camera and BigDaddyTodd took the pic, the video is for an upcoming movie we are putting together. We "prolly will" release some clips on YouTube?

More for the regular guys we have friendly "Trials" "Skills"areas at the mOOn that everyone can have fun with. Even the mOOn's trails have optional mini trials areas to play on. And soon the Enduro-X trail will be built this spring! More of a linear trials section that you can time yourself to see how fast you can make it through. This day was all about mega nut psycho riding by some of the best there ever was or is! Ever since Motorama faded we have lost many who were involved in the sport. Trials is so cult, but not to discourage anyone, cause all you need to ride trials is a good brake tune up, drop your seat, and a small area, no miles of trails, just a rock, log or any obstacle will do! So get out and ride trials, or come to the mOOn. We will have select Wednesday night trials sessions.

Good to see your all involved keep the spirit alive as it is one of the best forms of MTBing...

Members who have read this thread: 0