Trexler preserve family friendly?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Trexler preserve family friendly?

I am planning on taking my family to trexler on Friday. I read that it is not very rocky compared to the rest of eastern pa. My wife and kids have ridden white clay and raystown and various other local rides. I just don't want to take them to trexler if the climbing is really steep. Us there a recommended loop/direction like they have at raystown? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Both times I have been to Trex I have seen families there. The riding is very flowy (1 way on a couple of trails) with easy climbs back up. There isn't a ton of trails and you'll likely be repeating them several times. My normal route is to climb Brian's trail from the upper parking lot to the trail sign under the tree near the top follow the double track to upper, middle and lower Half Pipe then go to the connector trail that leads to a new trail over near where Kill Dozer used to be, do that, then climb back up the return trail to a connector trail between upper and middle Half Pipe that leads to the Brian's trail climb. From there, follow the double track to Broken Arrow, descend that to the intersection of the Fireman's trail. Fireman's trail eventually leads to Game Preserve road where you'll make a left and climb up a double track, back to the trail sign and tree at the top of Brian's trail. I'll usually do another lap of the route outlined above. There's a good map on Trailforks for reference.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    One word of caution : you do not say how old your children are. Be cautious when going down Broken Arrow. You can gain a lot of speed and can crash if your abilities are surpassed.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    They are 8 and 10years old and can control there speed. I was mostly concerned about long technical climbs

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Broken Arrow can be climbed. At the bottom it is a bit steeper but then gets gradual as you go further up. Not really technical, just long.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks everyone for the info we are heading to there tomorrow

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I probably wouldn't climb Broken Arrow as you're likely to run into people descending. It should probably be considered a 1 way directional trail. The climb back up the double track at the end of Fireman's Trail is very gradual and easy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougr View Post
    I probably wouldn't climb Broken Arrow as you're likely to run into people descending. It should probably be considered a 1 way directional trail. The climb back up the double track at the end of Fireman's Trail is very gradual and easy.
    Agreed.
    Climbing Broken Arrow is asking for a collision with an oncoming rider.
    Fireman's Trail is definitely safer.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal-Cracker View Post
    Agreed.
    Climbing Broken Arrow is asking for a collision with an oncoming rider.
    Fireman's Trail is definitely safer.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    +1 also agreed, just take the fireroad up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64 View Post
    Broken Arrow can be climbed. At the bottom it is a bit steeper but then gets gradual as you go further up. Not really technical, just long.
    Probably not that cool to climb Broken Arrow though. It's more or less a purpose built descent, and that could really create a buzzkill and a dangerous situation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Lot of kiddos out today. Plus there a great little skills section for them to session.

Shartacular Spectacular
    Quote Originally Posted by RickBullottaPA View Post
    Probably not that cool to climb Broken Arrow though. It's more or less a purpose built descent, and that could really create a buzzkill and a dangerous situation.
    +1. I really wish they’d officially make this unidirectional especially with all of the work they did to make the trail ride faster (berms etc) while descending. There’s a convenient fire road and plenty of other climbs throughout this trail system for those looking for them, but limited descending opportunities like BA.
    18’ SC Bronson C
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9, Float X2

18' SC V10
    Fox 40 w/Avy air/coil, WAO: The Outlier, i9, Avy Woodie