Trexler conditions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Trexler conditions

Trex conditions...this morning weather was fantastic, hit just about all of it, 10.8 miles worth, a lot of riders, trails slightly tacky, just a few water/mud corners, very grown in just about everywhere, sight lines extremely short if not at all leading to many riders going too fast and runnin wide, tread/benchcuts are very narrow, much evidence of riders slightly off and narrowing it down even more, new re-route is nice, still flowy and fun! Thanks again to those who try to keep that high maintenance place rideable. Anthem 29er.

bdwargs
    Live to ride, ride to live

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    We are at a point where we can spend tons of hours cutting back and it is grown in a few days later! It is tough. I spent 3 vacation days there a few weeks ago with a high weed brush cutter and a saw and it's like I was never there

Very hard to create good sight lines due to the uneven ground off the sides of the trail, can't get the brush cutter off trail, plus all the Autumn Olive of course. Would need to remove whole plants. It grows so ungodly fast.

As an update to the Killdozer drama, Wildlands Conservancy and Lehigh County are definitely going through with the burning, so we will be losing Killdozer. Forever. But we have confirmation we can rebuild elsewhere... Unsure where though. The goal will be for another fast swoopy trail like Killdozer but it depends on environmental studies. And theoretically not through Autumn Olive so better sight lines!

Ride Killdozer while you can! Probably only about 1-2 months left. The goal is to still have Trexfest before the burning commences. Still figuring that out.

Speaking personally, I really wish WC would have thought of this grasslands restoration BEFORE all the people put their time and money into making Killdozer and HP3. But so it goes.

Anyone reading this, please sign the petition and especially note if you live in Lehigh County on the comments of the petition. I have a thread about it going in this PA forum. We still need to keep that rolling.

mtbr member
    Are they actually doing Dozer and HP-3? All I saw was Dozer and you don't need Dozer out there to keep a loop. You can jump right from Brians trail to HP3 or Dozer to Brians if you wish now.

I rode there Wednesday and came home with bloody arms from getting beaten by over growth. I've cut a few times out there this year from trimming back to clearing tree's off Broken arrow. I cant believe how fast it grows in.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

mtbr member
    That is such a bummer (and this is serious understatement of how sh!tty it is to lose killdozer). I've only ridden there a couple times but it was super fun. I was looking forward to riding there more as I have a business deal going on up in Allentown and will be up there a lot this fall. I hope to hit it a few times before the burn. Any idea when the burn is starting and they will close trail(s)? I signed the petition. Its a real shame for all you locals and guys who put in the sweat equity up there. Hopefully you get to rebuild some new trail that is equally fun.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I must be missing something... how does the burning permanently close KillDozer and HP3? Are they concerned about runoff erosion after the burn? Just trying to wrap my head around this.
    Signed and shared when it was first posted btw.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It is 100% definite, we are losing Killdozer and HP3. Sometime in September!!!

There is a verbal confirmation that VMB can build trails elsewhere, but they must be approved by Wildlands Conservancy...

This is copied from one of the Trex trail builders on the Friends of Trex Facebook page:

"The official reason/stance from the "powers that be" on the Killdozer area being in the crosshairs is trail density and proximity to the Gamelands across Mill Rd. they say it is impossible and unsafe to do controlled burns, in that area, with that much trail and that wide of trail. They also want to draw birds and wildlife from the Gamelands area.
    Is it a plan? Sure. In 5 years will it work or even continued to be pursued? IMO, doubtful.
    There will return some sort of abbreviated trail to that area. So the "grassland" can still be enjoyed.
    They've also promised we can rebuild the lost mileage , and possibly more, elsewhere on the North Range .
    We will be working that plan to Wildlands and back to the County ASAP.
    We will also plan on fixing the problem areas/bad pitches on the North Range Border Trail. Expanding not only the usable trail area , but the Multi-use area as well.
    The Central Range will also be back on the table.
    It's a temporary setback. A heartbreaking one at that. But I believe the Trexler Game Preserve , in the long run, is a project that is finally moving forward again after being on hold for almost 2 years."

So, hopefully in the end it will be even better there. We need everyone to come to TrexFest this year even if Killdozer and HP3 are gone. We need to show the county how much the trails mean to us.

mtbr member

Rode today

Trails were great, a bit overgrown in spots but its expected.
    lot was full by the end of our ride. trex is a great spot..hate to loose killdozer.
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Will probably be at Trexler with my son tomorrow and it's good to hear conditions were decent. I've taken several archery deer from that area, run, and ride the trails so it'll be interesting to see it post burn.

mtbr member
    Anybody have an update on Trexler and if they started the burn/work up there. I am going to be passing through later this week and was going to try and ride there if they didn't start work. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I rode Sunday. It is the best it's been all summer. Andrew or someone from Action Rental (?) has been mowing with a skid steer on a lot of sections, and there's been trimming back by riders of Killdozer and HP3 and Broken Arrow. Those need some trimming before the race to make them optimal but GO RIDE! It's good right now.

Oh, as of Sunday they are not near Killdozer or HP3 with the AO removal. Hopefully that holds out a few more weeks...

mtbr member
    That is great news. I went on the VMB website and facebook trying to find info and it said someone mowed, but was talking about thorns and that the contractor started work, so I didn't know what what up. I am psyched to get what will probably be my last ride on Killdozer. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    was just about to ask that same question. looking like i might ditch work friday to ride Trex.

mtbr member
    I rode it today for a couple hours and it was fantastic. The weather was perfect, the trails were in great shape and cut back and I didn't see another soul on the trails. I think I had a religious experience. You forget how lucky we are to be able to get out and ride; having a bike, a place to ride and a healthy body, are things I take for granted too often.

They were cutting the brush. Over on Killdozer you could hear them and they sounded close. I kept expecting them to bust through the trail. those little CATs they use really tear up that brush; they literally mowed down the hillside opposite the trial head on the north range.

Get out there while you can, before Killdozer is gone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I rode there around lunch time today for a couple hours and it was incredible! Since they mowed the area the sight lines are incredible and I wasn't constantly getting nailed with shrubbery! Awesome day for a ride up there!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by justriding View Post
    Get out there while you can, before Killdozer is gone.
    I know I already posted this, but can somebody please explain the thinking behind closing the trails permanently in the areas where they're clearing the olive? Anybody know the reason? I'm not trolling just very curious and bummed I won't be able to make it there in time...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The grasslands that Wildlands Conservancy is planting there, they don't want a trail ripping through because it will disturb whatever wildlife they want to lure there.

The local mtb club is "partnering" with Wildlands to build trails elsewhere on site to replace what was lost (plus re-do sections of Border Trail to make them more mtb friendly, but I'm pretty sure Wildlands doesn't give a shit about biking at Trexler. The Trexler Trust and some within Lehigh County do, and fortunately so, as that is why the trails exist and why we are able to get more after we lose KD and HP3.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    The grasslands that Wildlands Conservancy is planting there, they don't want a trail ripping through because it will disturb whatever wildlife they want to lure there.
    Smells like BS to me. Unless they mow or otherwise control the growth of trees or other (native) shrubs in that area, it'll all be 1st succession forest soon anyway. I'm all for conservation, but do it in an area that the population you're hoping to re-establish won't become a genetic dead-end due to the island effect. The entire preserve there isn't big enough to support diverse populations of many species. Has Wildlands stated what they want to lure back? Will the area be permanently closed to hunting?
    I hope that the support for MTB from Trexler Trust and the County is strong, b/c this sounds like an excuse to start chipping away at trails in the park. Are the new trails definitely happening? Routes approved and staked out?
    I'm not trying to be a d*ck to you, Jared, so I apologize if I'm coming off that way. Keep us posted on the new trails - hopefully I can arrange a trip to the in-laws when you're working so I can come pitch in on the new stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm not a part of the talks but there is an official understanding that VMB gets to build trails elsewhere. There was a settlement years ago with Trexler Trust and the county where there had to be a lot of chances for recreation there aside from hunting. The mountain biking is part of that. But on the other hand, Wildlands is a consultant to the county there. So users must be vigilant and vocal in their support of the mtb trails.

mtbr member
    Agree with wrc2006 - in a couple years I would bet you start seeing shrubs and trees not too long after the grass, unless they manage it. Those wilderness types have good intentions, but seem to have a tunnel vision problem....Losing Killdozer, besides being an awesome trail, really reduces the riding at Trex. When I go there I usually do two to three laps on Killdozer and lap other trails, like half-pipe to get some miles in, with killdozer gone, that's a pretty big hit to the system. Hopefully they let you build some replacement miles. Too bad they won't keep the trail through the proposed grassland. That would be some cool riding, ripping single track through the grass with great sight lines. Doesn't seem like the decision makers gave much consideration to the affect on mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Got 2 laps in on killdozer today. Showed up about 15 minutes after the rain stopped. Handful of damp spots but otherwise great conditions.

Didn't see or hear anyone working to clear brush.

Chilling out
    Thanks, been thinking I'd enjoy another Trex trip - particularly if dozer was still there.

mtbr member
    bear - get down/up there depending on your location, I rode last week and like someone said above besides me, it was perfect. Those little CATs with the brush mower attachment they are using really get the job done, so I suspect it won't be long until its gone. Maybe they are waiting until after the Fest up there to finish; but I don't know.

Chilling out
    jr(a?), I made a comment in the TrexFest thread based upon riding out there on Saturday. :P

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Killdozer is done and gone.
    They didn't mow the whole hillside but they drove the machine all over the damn place to end the riding. They zig zagged all over the hillside and even drive straight up the stream. Very environmentally responsible. They are worried about my bikes not being able to ride through grasslands, but killing every small animal living there now and letting the topsoil wash down hill in the stream is ok. Who is actually in charge of this mess.
    The last farm rd intersection before Brian's trail gets to the end of killdozer is not rideable either. I though it would be worth wild to hike a bike some, but most of the trail is ruined. Everyone has had their last ride on killdozer.
    Ps. The mowed areas look post apocalyptic it's very strange to see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yeah man its no shock, we all knew it was coming. I haven't been there since before Trex fest and TBH it sucked then. Berms trashed, equipment tracks on trails. They better get a plan to get that place up and running again. Losing a huge part of the trail network and making it look like a wasteland makes people want to stay away. I have a bunch of time into trail work and maint there and it really gets to me to see it that way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I was told by a little birdy to not worry, it isn't as bad as it looks.

Anyhow, let them finish the removal, don't mess around in there. If they see people trying to ride it that might make them REALLY close it off.

More importantly: the local club is balls deep in negotiating with the county for the new trails, don't make it harder by poaching KD + HP3.
    Last edited by XJaredX; 11-16-2015 at 06:01 AM.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patroller View Post
    Killdozer is done and gone.
    They didn't mow the whole hillside but they drove the machine all over the damn place to end the riding. They zig zagged all over the hillside and even drive straight up the stream. Very environmentally responsible. They are worried about my bikes not being able to ride through grasslands, but killing every small animal living there now and letting the topsoil wash down hill in the stream is ok. Who is actually in charge of this mess.
    The last farm rd intersection before Brian's trail gets to the end of killdozer is not rideable either. I though it would be worth wild to hike a bike some, but most of the trail is ruined. Everyone has had their last ride on killdozer.
    Ps. The mowed areas look post apocalyptic it's very strange to see.

And they can do this? Maybe DEP needs to know!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fish & Boat Comm? Siltation of a stream? Where's is IMBA?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Didn't think I was poaching anything it has been ridable until now.
    The trail was never and is still not posted as closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patroller View Post
    Didn't think I was poaching anything it has been ridable until now.
    The trail was never and is still not posted as closed.

Actually I did get clarification on that tonight- it is rideable until they say otherwise, as long as you don't interfere with the work. Once they get to the grass planting stage is when it is off limits.

Also, people have described it to be better off than you had said it to be. One thing is the machine cant go uphill so he goes down and around, up, over, down, repeat

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I can tell you as of Saturday afternoon you will be forced to hike a bike through the jungle for at least 25% of the ride on dozer and At least 50% of the uphill out is destroyed. I should have taken Picts but I was not happy and not thinking about that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Where's is IMBA?
    Do I waste my time? Ugh...

What could imba do Lee? They're not the land owners Lee. They can't stop what the land ownerís want to do Lee. It's one of a handful of trails that will be affected Lee. If the Wildland Conservancy wanted to ban bikes on their property, they can Lee. If imba owned the property then they can make the decision to burn or not to burn, Lee. But they don't own it Lee. Do you expect imba to stop every 100 yards of trail closure that's out their Lee? Do your part Lee of being a non-imba-affiliate trail-advocate and stop a land owner from doing what they want to do on their own property Lee.

That said, if TNC, Lackawanna State Park or Lackawanna County (Merli-Sarnoski County park) wanted to stop biking, they can. Just like the Wildland Conservancy can at Trex. I know it sucks to see the trails getting destroyed. We witnessed it at Merli. But Gene and Pete brought back trails in the timbered area and we're now Ok with the park manager too.

If DEP or any other agencies were to fine Wildland Conservancy, they'd (WC) probably point the finger at "some pissed off biker who lost a trail". Do we want them to think of us as the enemy?

Believe it or not, try working WITH them. If you approach a worker ask them what's going on, why they're doing what they're doing, tell them killdozer is your favorite trail and you hope it can be reopened when they're done. Let them know where you're from and how far you traveled to ride there.
    This attitude will show that, we, as not just "bikers", care about the trails too and aren't the douchebags. Does that paint a good picture of us? Yep. Does the group of 10 riders with helmets and camelbacks and waiving a stack of papers while standing at the caution tape, yelling at the land owners look good? Nope.

I know it sucks. I witnessed it at Merli. But I also know what a good relationship with the land manager/owner will do too.

Ttyl, Rob
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Believe it or not, Wildlands is great. Look at South Mountain Emmaus, they let trails run all over that place, they own it.

However, Trexler is apparently not a usual type of land for PA, so they want to preserve a lot of it, and maximize the wildlife benefits.

A lot of the negotiation, from my piecing together bits from people who know far more than me, is Wildlands looks at it as a nature preserve, Trexler Trust looks at it as a park for the county citizens to enjoy, (and thus mountain biking was born there), and there's a whole lot of snail pace bureaucracy from the county, so it's a matter of pleasing everyone.

mtbr member
    Nice! That's how it works with TNC at Moosic. It's a preserve, but they want people to enjoy it. Gene and myself met with TNC on Sunday and discussed 5 new trail options. 3 were approved, 2 denied, but not indefinitely. They need a little bit more planning.

They burn Moosic quite a bit. But it was understood before the trails went in that they'd be burning. Every time they cut or burn, someone gets overly concerned. I explain why they do it and that things only get better from here, and they do! Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn View Post
    Do I waste my time? Ugh...
    Ttyl, Rob
    Larry,

Everyone knows I tolerate a lot from you always calling me out. It will not be tolerated anymore! Using my personal name over and over shows you are confronting me.

Have a great day

mtbr member
    Repetitively repeating your name, Ya know, like you "calling out" imba. It's the same old argument since 2005! Where's imba?! Ttyl
    Hubbard Bike Club

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I'm asking legit questions of why organizations such as IMBA and other groups are doing to solve the problems. And as far as I know "you" are not "them" and cannot answer for them. IMBA is an international org and people can ask whatever they like of them. Whereas my name is personal to me. There is and was no argument here till you chimed in...

Please be respectful of all here on the forum and follow the rules, no personal attacks

mtbr member
    He said 'Lee' a lot in that post lol

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    I'm asking legit questions of why organizations such as IMBA and other groups are doing to solve the problems.
    It's very to point that IMBA is *not* either just a local- or remote- presence, it's both and spread pretty thin at that no matter what people may think of it. Some areas have tremendously stronger chapters than others, and those get a ton more accomplished. The Mid-Atlantic Off Road enthusiasts and NEMBA come to mind for our side of the country as great examples.

Like other global organizations, the local chapters work best when the local efforts have a local champion. If you have a specific project you think could benefit from the local IMBA chapter getting involved then I encourage you to connect up with them and be part of the solution. That gets more people and resources targeted onto the project you're interested in and ensures that the work goes in a direction you will end up happy with.

Have you per-chance also been talking to members of BAMBA (BAMBA - Berks Area Mountain Biking Association) and/or Valley Mountain Bikers (http://bikevmb.com/)? The latter is the group who I believe is most involved with Trexler (and both are associated with IMBA). The inter-tubes are a great place to share and discuss about projects but to get a real bead on what's involved and be part of constructive discussion it usually requires a more focused discussion and environment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ("If DEP or any other agencies were to fine Wildland Conservancy, they'd (WC) probably point the finger at "some pissed off biker who lost a trail". Do we want them to think of us as the enemy? ")

It was not meant to sound like at threat to anyone. However in what I do for a living, I have to deal with permit's, and process all the time. That includes erosion control. I am definitely not a super environmental guy, but I follow the rules because all hell would break loose if no one did. And rules were made for a reason, right? For all to follow, not just the sometimes silent majority. With that being said, I have no problem with Trexler and WC doing what they want with land that they own. They have been cutting in big blocks of space row after row like you would mow a lawn, until now. Now the machine just drove all over that valley including the stream. They started to criss cross the trail every couple hundred feet to couple hundred yards, seemingly for no reason. In the process they destroyed the trail weeks before they had to. Does it suck, yes. Can I do anything about it, no. Will I help rebuild, if allowed, certainly.

mtbr member
    So, to answer your question Lee, "Where's is imba?"- they are right there.

As stated before, VMB is working with Wildlands Conservancy and the game commission is also involved. WC wants to end the Autumn Olive that's invasive and bring back the grasslands for certain bird species. It's their (WC) property, not the riders. They'll do what they want with it. Preservation and wildlife are probably first and second on their list (that's why WC bought it, right?). While mountain biking is probably towards the end of the list. By imba (VMB) working with WC, (from my understanding) there will either be trail restoration or the ability to make new trails elsewhere on the property.

Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    So Rob,

Yes, very good, but the answer didn't come from "you" Rob.

My so called calling out of IMBA as you say is my right. It is their job to formulate plans for trails and their sustainability, but I still worry about siltation of the stream such as Hegel's Run and Jordan Creek and if any protection was taken to prevent this from happening.

Pennsylvania Code
    Thanks bear

mtbr member
    Lee and Rob, you two need to hug it out.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I hope I get a Christmas card this year!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Ok so back to the topic at hand...
    ...my main concern.

Titled: The Trout are watching the humans...

Shouldn't a group be on top of this from the beginning? As pa patroller spoke, running a machine up and down a creek is not good for anyone. At that point we had an invasive species on fertile land. Now we have ruts and run off going into a stream. Does burning off the rest get rid of the ruts and bring back the soil? I don't clam to be a water or soil expert in anyway, but I have built many trails.

It "is" their land as was spoke, but being a preservation group wouldn't we expect the very people of that organization to be on top of this?

Saying a mt biker complains about run off isn't a good thing? Well, we are all responsible for this. Water controlled in a correct fashion provides many beneficial items for all of us. Being an avid fisherman I like to see clear, clean streams and running silt into a stream isn't a good measure for post erosion control

If a group is involved then why did this happen in this fashion? Bad operator? No pre planning?. Just eliminate the Olive problem and create other problems? It's after the fact what is going on at Trex.

I'm not against anyone including IMBA, but I am concerned about topics like this one. I hope the situation improves at Trex

Last but not least, I expect intelligent conversation on this matter, and no bullying or personal attacks of any kind here! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and all opinions will be respected...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Wildlands Conservancy protects the land and the water too. Is it possible that the WC has a creek/stream restoration planned? I doubt they're being careless about one aspect just to restore something else.
    From their website -
    Our Mission
    Protect and restore critical natural areas and waterways, and educate the community to create a legacy of a healthy, sustainable environment for future generations.

Our Vision
    A Lehigh Valley and Lehigh River Watershed that contain expansive natural areas, connected green spaces, healthy waterways and an enlightened community where people embrace conservation and sustainability.

I'm positive whatever damage is done will be repaired asap.

They can be contacted @ [email protected]

When you get an answer, please post their reply here. Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This is, like, a trickling brook maybe 2 feet wide. It's what the hill water drains into. And yeah I doubt they will be careless about this.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Rob,

Reading stuff from a website? Do you actually think they would say "Oh ya we have a guy run all over it" Of course they say good things and plan to do good.

We shall see...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Another heads up, Brian's trail from the bottom of half pipe 1 over to the little skills section is pretty well tore up now. You can get thru but not what it used to be.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

Thanks I saw some of that the other day when I visited...
    ...not too bad, but then again it wasn't raining.

As far as riding it pretty messy, and I'm avoiding till it gets sorted out a bit. Jordan creek looked great! The sun in the early am really posts shadows that I'm sure the trout love!

https://www.lehighcounty.org/Communi...Trail-Building

mtbr member
    Can you do HP1, pooh's, HP2 to buck run to Broken arrow still?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    No buck run and Brian's are trashed at the moment. Even though the " plan" said they wouldn't be touched. Brian's isn't bad. Buck run is difficult to even see where it was.

i moto too
    Dec 2008
    as of 11/28 you could do HP1 to pooh's to HP2 then back to poohís and out the field to broken arrow (note, on Saturday they were working next to HP1 so there was some debris on the trail you have to watch out for)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Just try to chill out, there will be work days to clean up the trails once they are done in there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Update on this? I was thinking about possibly next weekend if there's no rain.
    2012 S pecialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er

2017 SANTA CRUZ Hightower CC X01

mtbr member
    I haven't been there but a friend went last week and said its beat now. I guess Broken arrow might be good yet but all the rest is dozed our chewed up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    I haven't been there but a friend went last week and said its beat now. I guess Broken arrow might be good yet but all the rest is dozed our chewed up.
    I guess I'll have to try either French Creek or Marsh Creek then. Maybe Brandywine like one other said.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    I would think FC would be a quagmire too...
    ...I've completely worn out brake pads at muddy races there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Your best bet is likely going to be somewhere in southern NJ with lots of sand that drains well. Check out the JORBA site for trail info. Wish I could help but I've only ridden central NJ trails. If you need to ride in PA it's probably going to have to be on pavement. We all feel your pain, but please respect the dirt and don't ride trails until they are dry and ready.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc2006 View Post
    Your best bet is likely going to be somewhere in southern NJ with lots of sand that drains well. Check out the JORBA site for trail info. Wish I could help but I've only ridden central NJ trails. If you need to ride in PA it's probably going to have to be on pavement. We all feel your pain, but please respect the dirt and don't ride trails until they are dry and ready.
    Or frozen. If that ever happens this winter.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Travel north we have lots of rocks that drain well... aka Moon Lake Park, Moosic Mt Earle's Preserve, or Merli Sarnoski Park, I would avoid Lackawanna SP I was there the other day, but might be too wet this week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc2006 View Post
    Yup, I'm not even going to bother this week. Maybe next weekend with all this rain.

This is actually my first time trying to ride through winter(Well, till Feb. since I'm getting surgery done on my ankle and I'll be out for good 3-6 months) Is it like this through every winter time? Where you only get to ride when you are really lucky?

I do have Chester Valley trail on my backyard so I could do that but I really wanted to test out my new set up. Oh well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sutter2k View Post
    Or frozen. If that ever happens this winter.
    Yup, it crazy to have 70' in end of December. I don't think I've ever seen this before.

mtbr member
    Its awesome out, I'm going riding in about a hour in shorts! Stick to places that are rocky and drain well or places no one else rides and you maintain. Moon is a good example, I can only think of 1 trail there that gets wet enough to worry and its all rock on the bottom so they only thing your messing up is your shoes lol

Just stay away from Nox, that place is closed for the season now.

mtbr member
    Thumbs up with those recommendations! Got alot of Ridge top and rocky stuff down here too all around Tamaqua, Summit Hill, Mary D, Nesquehoning, and Jim Thorpe. It's been sweet riding this winter!!
    Live to ride, ride to live

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HaxEJxuK View Post
    I guess I'll have to try either French Creek or Marsh Creek then. Maybe Brandywine like one other said.
    Marsh will be horrendous...does not drain well at all.
    FC may be better, same for BW...but if the rocks are wet, and/or your tires are packed when yo hit them...well, be prepared.
    Mt. Penn might be the best, aside from the sandy places in NJ.

mtbr member
    Rode trex a few nights ago- snake, hp1, broken arrow, firemans, and poohs woods open. Dead ends at Brian's / buck run Xing. Didn't even get a thorn flat :0 totally different spatial experience without the AO

without hops the world stops

mtbr member
    This weather is the primary reason I got a roadie. Unfortunately, I have lyme (contracted last year) and got bit again before Thanksgiving. Still recovering.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    anyone know what conditions are like? had a lot of rain the last few days, wondering when it'll be good to go

mtbr member
    Jan 2002
    Bump.. Current trex conditions anyone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I rode the southern 3/4 of the border trail from the covered bridge all the way around and down firemans, back to the covered bridge. Then up broken arrow and back down the rocky road. Two wet spots that could be easily avoided. It is all good to go.
    Remember that Killdozer, buck run and brians trail are gone.

mtbr member
    any update on trail conditions?
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jkad View Post
    any update on trail conditions?
    Great question, I was also interested because I see they are planning to host the Halloween enduro again (Link is up on Bikereg) but based on this thread the only trail that sounds like it would be viable still is broken arrow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack29er View Post
    Great question, I was also interested because I see they are planning to host the Halloween enduro again (Link is up on Bikereg) but based on this thread the only trail that sounds like it would be viable still is broken arrow
    I was up last Thursday (9/8) and it wasn't too bad. Super dry and loose like everywhere else right now, but totally rideable.

I heard rumors of adding a 4th stage this year but I don't really see how considering it seems like theres barely enough for 3 stages.
    -Brians starting at the parking lot through HP1
    -Pooh's Woods through HP2
    -Broken Arrow

mtbr member
    I haven't been there in awhile but I heard they have been working on fixing up some if the trails.

mtbr member
    I'm heading up again today. They have been doing trailwork for sure. Trails are pretty clear and not overgrown and I know they've starting working on fixing berms

mtbr member
    Anyone know if it's worth going to Trex at all today?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by glorth2 View Post
    Anyone know if it's worth going to Trex at all today?
    Wondering about this too. Planning on heading out. Figure it's gonna be fine, but no problem aborting if it isn't.

Maybe see you out there.

mtbr member
    So, for whoever isn't caught up, Brian's trail just ends. You can ride to the Border trail and then get on broken arrow. Note, you can see Killdozer and the HPs but you can barely get to them and they're unrideable. Absolutely heartbreaking. I rode down broken arrow. There was a huge tree down at the bottom and then another on Fireman's Trail. Nice out today but this just wasn't worth it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glorth2 View Post
    So, for whoever isn't caught up, Brian's trail just ends. You can ride to the Border trail and then get on broken arrow. Note, you can see Killdozer and the HPs but you can barely get to them and they're unrideable. Absolutely heartbreaking. I rode down broken arrow. There was a huge tree down at the bottom and then another on Fireman's Trail. Nice out today but this just wasn't worth it.
    Yeah its been that way awhile now. I rarely go there anymore and I live minutes away. Losing Dozer and HP3 + the insane deforestation killed it for me. There are plenty of rad places to ride in the valley, go check them out!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I went up there last week after being away 2 years. It was quite a shock. I wish I lived closer to nox or jacobsburg.

mtbr member
    Any updates to current conditions?
    I'd like to ride Sat (3/17) morning, assuming trails are rideable.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    A few weeks ago I asked on their FB page and was told it was wet. Kind of curious how it is now as well.

mtbr member
    Probably wet. You'll probably be fine in the morning. I'm planning on heading there around 2 or 3 and expecting a mudfest.

Shartacular Spectacular
    Has anyone ridden or does anyone know if trex is rideable this weekend? Thinking about heading up this afternoon or tomorrow am.
    The 18í SC Bronson C
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9, Float X2

18' SC V10
    Fox 40 w/Avy air/coil, WAO: The Outlier, i9, Avy Woodie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shartist View Post
    Has anyone ridden or does anyone know if trex is rideable this weekend? Thinking about heading up this afternoon or tomorrow am.
    As of Wednesday afternoon, riding was a no-go. The main gate was closed and there was still snow on many of the trails.
    If you ride there this weekend, please give a trail update.

Shartacular Spectacular
    I took a chance and figured Iíd go visit friends if I got there and found the trails were at risk for damage as I grew up nearby.

I was very pleasantly surprised given the rain yesterday, but it appears the heavy winds since did a pretty good job of drying things out. Iím all about efficiently getting in as many fun descents as possible, so my ride consisted of laps on the half pipes and broken arrow using Brianís trail/teardrop and firemanís respectively so the following applies to only those trails: The only muddy sections I encountered were on the climb between half pipe 1 and half pipe 2 (most of this is still muddy and maybe shouldnít be ridden, lots of tracks in the mud though...) and one or two very isolated sections on firemanís trail after broken arrow. Half pipes and broken arrow were riding fast, but BOLO for branches on the trail with all of the wind.
    The 18í SC Bronson C
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9, Float X2

18' SC V10
    Fox 40 w/Avy air/coil, WAO: The Outlier, i9, Avy Woodie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shartist View Post
    I took a chance and figured Iíd go visit friends if I got there and found the trails were at risk for damage as I grew up nearby.

I was very pleasantly surprised given the rain yesterday, but it appears the heavy winds since did a pretty good job of drying things out. Iím all about efficiently getting in as many fun descents as possible, so my ride consisted of laps on the half pipes and broken arrow using Brianís trail/teardrop and firemanís respectively so the following applies to only those trails: The only muddy sections I encountered were on the climb between half pipe 1 and half pipe 2 (most of this is still muddy and maybe shouldnít be ridden, lots of tracks in the mud though...) and one or two very isolated sections on firemanís trail after broken arrow. Half pipes and broken arrow were riding fast, but BOLO for branches on the trail with all of the wind.
    Thanks for that. Its appreciated.

Looks like Trexler tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Any updates on trail conditions?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I heard that a new trail was going to be built at Trexler. Supposedly there was a $100k grant for it. Does anyone here have any info? When is it going to be built?

I havenít ridden there since they killed Killdozer but if the trails are being expanded, I want to check it out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dung Hopper View Post
    I heard that a new trail was going to be built at Trexler. Supposedly there was a $100k grant for it. Does anyone here have any info? When is it going to be built?

I havenít ridden there since they killed Killdozer but if the trails are being expanded, I want to check it out.
    I wouldn't count on it this year. Probably sometime in 2021. Just a hunch, though, not really backed up by anything other than I know how long projects like this can take.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member

I've been hearing about that new trail for a couple years now. Hopefully it happens. Who knows when...

I will say that the trail crew has been doing an absolutely fantastic job of constantly improving the existing trails.
    With all the improvements, Broken Arrow has become my favorite trail section in all of Pennsylvania. It really is THAT good! Definitely worth checking out!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks. I always skip Broken Arrow because I don't usually like out-and-back trails. I may have to give it another try.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I always skip Broken Arrow because I don't usually like out-and-back trails. I may have to give it another try.
    Gotta agree with CC on this one. Broken Arrow is awesome. There are sections where it's easy to hit 30 mph. Can't think of too many trails around here where that's possible... at least for me.

And it loops. Just stay on Fireman's Trail at the bottom and climb the Boarder trail back up. Adds some nice, scenic mileage.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Hey! Trying to figure Trexler out without actually going there. This had the most recent posts I could find about this system. It's the perfect middle ground meeting place for me in Harrisburg and my bro and cousin in NJ. I found a trail map from 2016 that mentions three trails (brians, killdozer, bucks) that don't seem to exist anymore based on posts here. Is there an updated trail map somewhere out there? Would like to know what's the best loop to make from the Mill Creek Rd lot based on the old map if there isn't anything newer. Any other recommendations in the vicinity of I-78/100 (exit 49)? Appreciate any responses.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    There's tons of riding in the area. Salisbury and South Mt. in the Allentown/Bethlehem area, along with options to the North. I'd recommend you check out Glen Park in Stroudsburg if you have time.

Any of the above are fun; Trexler is probably the most appealing if you have a range of abilities.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rin5000 View Post
    Hey! Trying to figure Trexler out without actually going there. This had the most recent posts I could find about this system. It's the perfect middle ground meeting place for me in Harrisburg and my bro and cousin in NJ. I found a trail map from 2016 that mentions three trails (brians, killdozer, bucks) that don't seem to exist anymore based on posts here. Is there an updated trail map somewhere out there? Would like to know what's the best loop to make from the Mill Creek Rd lot based on the old map if there isn't anything newer. Any other recommendations in the vicinity of I-78/100 (exit 49)? Appreciate any responses.
    Download the Trailforks app, if you don't use it already. The trails appear to be up to date. Using the Trailforks data, make absolutely sure to ride the Halfpipe(s) and Broken Arrow trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have not seen an updated map (I have never used Trailforks but I will check it out). Killdozer is gone. several trails are one-way so pay attention. The place isn't very big so you should have no problem finding everything. When you leave the parking lot onto the trail, take the 1st left about 75 yards onto the trail and it will take you to the top of Halfpipe. That's where I have always started my rides.

Thumbs Up!
    Cool Trex update...

From Valley Mountain Bikers Facebook

"Kicking of July with a new trail projectófull restoration of Brianís Trail at Trexlerís North Range. Dave King from Dirt Sculpt is bringing the flow and a few little features. Project is supported by Lehigh County Parks and funded by our members and funds raised at Trexxxfest. The trail will be closed fduring construction and should be ready to rip in a little over a week. As always, stay off the old Killdozer trail. The replacement for that trail is on the way!"
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Fresh off the presses- new trail mileage coming in fresh!

Kicking of July with a new trail projectófull restoration of Brianís Trail at Trexlerís North Range. Dave King from Dirt Sculpt is bringing the flow and a few little features. Project is supported by Lehigh County Parks and funded by our members and funds raised at Trexxxfest. The trail will be closed fduring construction and should be ready to rip in a little over a week. As always, stay off the old Killdozer trail. The replacement for that trail is on the way!Trexler conditions-106588995_2611459748953689_3418232313476408028_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roma258 View Post
    Fresh off the presses- new trail mileage coming in fresh!

Kicking of July with a new trail projectófull restoration of Brianís Trail at Trexlerís North Range. Dave King from Dirt Sculpt is bringing the flow and a few little features. Project is supported by Lehigh County Parks and funded by our members and funds raised at Trexxxfest. The trail will be closed fduring construction and should be ready to rip in a little over a week. As always, stay off the old Killdozer trail. The replacement for that trail is on the way!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	106588995_2611459748953689_3418232313476408028_n.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	1345831
    This is fantastic news! I can't wait to check it out!