Travelling to Pittsburgh for 3 days- Mtbr.com

Jun 2009

Travelling to Pittsburgh for 3 days

Will be driving from Windsor across from Detroit to Pitts. area. I am a solid XC biker. I will likey be staying in KOA cabins.

Could anyone give me a list of good rides and where I should stay to minimize my driving ? I can switch cabins if needed. Thanks for any input. I like all types of rides other than ridiculous trick stuff. I am great in narrows, fast downs and roots and rocks. Peace.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    There is a KOA outside of grove city i think and moraine is about 20 minutes from there. There is a paved trail and a mountainbike trail. You want the mountainbike trail on Mt. Union road. you can see where it is at on the DCNR website.

We are working on signage there and i should have some temporary signs up by tomorrow. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If you're more of an XC guy, I would recommend staying at Racoon Creek Park - you can then hit Bavington/Hillman State Park (State Game Lands).

The trails at Moraine are much more technical; Bavington has tons of superb XC trails.

Of course, it wouldn't hurt to do both.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Moraine is uber technical/rocky and if that's your deal I couldn't recommend anything better. A friend who lived and road a good deal of trail in Utah described Moraine as the most technical trails he's ever ridden.

Bavington has 27 miles of fantastic single track. Tight, windy, with a lot of flow. Super fun.
    Bavingtington Mountain Bike Trails

Roaring Run Apollo has a fantastic technical 10 mile loop.
    Roaring Run Apollo Mountain Bike Trails

Jun 2009

Thanks

Got hammered up the night before I left and threw caution to the wind. Spent a day riding around Pittsburgh and had fun (other than the Penguins..I am a Wings fan!!!!). Beautiful city. Went to Mingo State Park. Was lucky to meet a sheriff at the office who took a map off the wall. Pretty technical stuff. Lots of horse trouble on the paths in spots. Persevered to finish most of the park. Great work out but not many fast rewards. I like Pickney in Michigan and Pontiac as well as Highland. It was a ton of fun....I hope I don't have poison ivy again. Never used my granny gear like that before. Great KOA in Madison. Did not meet a person who was nothing less than super cool and friendly. Thanks from Windsor Ontario (across from Detroit).

Nice no rass
    Madison? Hell, you were in my back yard. If I had known you were staying there, I would have brought you a couple of Pens Stanley Cup Champions shirts to ride in while you were visiting

Jun 2009
    Way too funny. See ya next year.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hah - there's a group coming down from Michigan in a few weeks to ride Moraine, I believe. Good buddy of mine (and riding partner) is from Michigan, and we're going to show 'em around some. Shame you only got to hit once place.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Members who have read this thread: 0