Traveling to State College, PA / Any Epic Ride Suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    Riding or Drumming

Traveling to State College, PA / Any Epic Ride Suggestions?

I'm traveling to the Penn State Campus in State College, PA in June for a conference.

Any epic trails that are only short drives from there? Well marked / mapped trails are a plus as I'll be riding solo. Something with ride times of +/- 3hrs helps too.
    Tallboy
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Salsa Mukluk
    Surly Big Dummy

Feb 2009

Every rides an epic

Get on the Nittany Mountain Bike Association web site and check out their maps.

Riding or Drumming
    Perfect! Thanks for the tip.

Any favorite trails from locals ?
    Tallboy
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Salsa Mukluk
    Surly Big Dummy

ganginwood
    last time i was in state college i used that forum. it was very helpful.

i posted an addy an got several responses. some "pro" kicked my but all over tussey mountain. but....it was a great ride, great trail system, and i got a free tour guide out of the deal. if a guy named jean luc tells you he'll show you around....hang on.

tussey mountain had some great visuals and terrain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

trail addict
    Yeah, tussey mt/rothrock forest. Stop at a bike shop in town (there are a few of them) and get a "Purple Lizard Map". When we were there, we went out self-guided and found some fun trails, but then we met up with some cool dude who made the 2nd half of our ride truly awesome. They called him the "prince" or "princess" or something goofy, but he was definitely a good guy and knew his way around. He showed us all these little alternate lines that you would never even notice if you weren't looking for them. There is a lot of challenging terrain, well-built trails, and may different difficulty levels out there. I don't think you could ride every trail within 15 miles of state college even if you rode every day for a year.

Have fun.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I would definitely second the Rothrock state forest epic ride. Get the Purple Lizard map from a shop and ask someone there for a good route or general way to go. The trails there are amazing and with the amount of climbing and size of the place you could have several epic rides day after day and not do the same trail twice. If you pick up the map ask them about the Tussey mountain ridge trail/tuxedo trail, the views from the top of that trail are amazing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Not to diss Herm, but the purple lizard hasn't been updated since 2003, and some 30 plus miles of trails have been added/opened since then. I hung out with him yesterday and the new Purple Lizard will be worth the wait, should be out by fall 2009.
    As for Princess, avoid him too! Actually, Don doesn't really live in town anymore although much to our chagrin he is here quite a bit.
    Use Nittanymba.org for maps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'll 3rd the stuff in Rothrock. I usually park on Bear Meadows right by Tussey and head from there but there are tons of options.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just call up Freeze Thaw Bike shop in State College. Those guys know all the nooks and crannies of the Center county trail scene.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    Ive got some ride directions in word format along with GPS tracks if you want any of that, just pm me and i can email them to ya.

Bruh
    Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood
    if a guy named jean luc tells you he'll show you around....hang on.
    This made me giggle. Jean Luc kicks my ass all over the trail as well, he's a heckuva rider.

Anyways, as far as trails go, giving Freeze Thaw a call would be the first thing to do, stop by and grab a purple lizard map as well. Although someone brought up the fact that it's outdated, it's a good reference, as all the major trails are labeled.

I usually start from the Shingletown trailhead, climb up Lower Trail, and make a decision from Laurel Run Road. Usually it involves climbing to the top, dropping Old Laurel Run, taking Three Bridges to Lonberger, and Lonberger to Kettle, which will take you to Tussey Mountain Trail.

Either way you go, you can't really go wrong. Just take a map and ride. Hope you like rocks, too.

Bruh
    Also, I'd suggest doing Charcoal Flats or Bald Knob, if you're into technical rocky stuff.

It's not overly gnarly, I was able to conquer it on a 26'er with 2.4" tires and I still have a triple-ring in the front and a rear derailleur hanging off the back. However, it will make you choose your line wisely.

They're both on the Purple Lizard map.

Riding or Drumming

Thanks !!

This is great stuff ! I'm hoping to get a couple of days and looks like there is PLENTY to do.
    Tallboy
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Salsa Mukluk
    Surly Big Dummy

Oct 2005
    You won't run out of epic riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    rothrock is nice. we go up every year...

stoopid 50 if you dare.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    yeah tussey mt extension is a nice trail along the ridge...id say 65% of it is rock. i've never had enough energy to do tuxedo. i always bail out down that hellish rock hill to the road and ride back down to the parking lot on bear meadow road.

Riding or Drumming

All I can say is.... WOW !!!!

Just got back from PA and had a BLAST !! Thanks to all for the suggestions. I met lots of cool people to ride with and had a killer time.

I Rode the Tues. evening bike shop ride with Grant et.al up Camp to the Tussey extension and over to John Wert. The locals hammered it and I was shredded !! The scenery was fantastic and the non-stop rock garden was epic. I went back Saturday AM and rode solo up Camp and the Tussey Mountain ridge.

BIG fun and I'll have to bring the guys back for a ride soon. I've got my Purple Lizard Map in my map book ready to go...

Thanks everyone !!

Tallboy
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Salsa Mukluk
    Surly Big Dummy

Members who have read this thread: 0