Trails & wilderness camping in Blue Knob SP- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Trails & wilderness camping in Blue Knob SP

I'm looking to ride everything I can find at Blue Knob this Saturday, and want to just wilderness camp (the required 100 ft off an old fire road) that night, if possible. Anyone have good tips for a camping spot?

Also, if anyone wants to lead/ride, I'll keep up a good pace with you. Please PM me or respond with any good word. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    PA State Parks - campground only
    PA State Forest - dispersed camping allowed
    PA Game Lands - along AT only if hiking through

Blue Knob State Park has a campground.
    Blue Knob Trail Map

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for the correction.
    I also got in touch with a couple solid fellas from LHORBA, who gave me clear trail directions. Among others, here are some for a shorter part of the ride, in case it helps anyone else:

I would start your ride at the Mowery Hollow parking lot, by Pavia Run Pavilion, and climb through the park.
    On your first climb up, when you are on Three Springs Trail (at that point a dirt road) look for a sign on your right to lead you to the Resort side. I would then go over to the Blue Knob Resort side and do the following ride:
    Click on the link to Blue Knob Resort from the LHORBA website. Links to the Resort side maps are at the bottom: Blue Knob Resort
    Here my favorite ride on the Resort side. This will get you on all of the singletrack there in about 13 miles:
    -Start at the top of the mountain on Hink's Delusion(1). Follow this to the tubing park road, make a left and then turn right on JED(2) behind the tubing park building.
    - At the end of JED(2), make a left onto (1). Make the next left on UDY(3) and follow it back to (1).
    - At the end of (1) make a left onto Black Bear(10) and follow it until it ends and make a right onto Black-Beary Hill(11)
    - At the end of (11) make a right onto (10) then a right onto the double track (24) which will cross over (21) and take you onto Tree-odge(12).
    - Stay left onto Code Blue (13) and back onto (12) which you will follow until (21). Turn around here and double back (12) staying left to stay on (12) and not (13).
    - Make a right on (11) and cross over the double track onto Lost Porcupine (14). Make a right on Shikanery(15) and follow this loop to a right back onto (14)
    - Follow (14) until it ends and make a Left (or basically straight) onto Not-Fairway(16). Follow (16) until it ends and cross over the road onto (10).
    - Follow (10) back to Hink's Delusion(1) and climb this back to the top.
    After you finish on the Resort side retrace your steps back to the park side and finish your ride as outlined by Kevin: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | LHORBA Picnic near Imler | Times and Records | Strava
    This will give you 36 to 37 miles and a lot of climbing.
    You will finish your ride on a very fun long downhill.