Trails near Wayne Pa?- Mtbr.com
    offroader
    Dec 2008

Trails near Wayne Pa?

I'll be visiting my brother in law's family next month they live near Valley Forge/Wayne. What are some good trails in that area that I can check out?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Trails near Wayne Pa?

Betzwood, which is really in VF park, is closest. It is neither officially closed nor officially open to bikers, though it is used by tons of people. That makes it hard to find maps, though. The main section of trails runs to the north of and parallel to the river, west of Rte. 422, between the Schuylkill River Trail (paved) and the Valley Forge River Trail (unpaved). There are about 10 miles of singletrack.
    Wissahickon is in Fairmount Park, about half an hour away towards Philly.
    Marsh Creek is a half an hour in the other direction.
    Within an hour or so there is French Creek (rocky and rugged), Nockamixon (groomed and flowy) and White Clay Creek/Middle Creek (a bit of everything), to name just a few.
    Plenty of info online about all those places.

bigger than you.
    ^^^This. Betzwood is closest, wissahckon is great, but has a lot of pedestrian traffic and off-leash dogs on the weekends. This map is geared for getting to trails by regional rail, and as such, omits a few trails, but it may be useful: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...E.kM7q7llBTBDA

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    French creek isn't too far from there either... maybe 45 minutes.

(Edit: But you would probably know that as Lou mentioned it already)

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for the info

Yea those two were on my list of places to visit. I also saw that Ridley Creek was close by. Anyone have any info on that park?

Wissahickon Valley Park Mountain Bike Trail in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania || SINGLETRACKS.COM

Betzwood Mountain Bike Trail in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania || SINGLETRACKS.COM

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Ridley Creek is not worth visiting, bikers are mostly restricted to paved trails. You can also check out Mt Penn in Reading, Marsh Creek state park, or White Clay Creek state park in Deleware. What kind of riding do you want? That will help us give you the best options.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Here's what the Wissahickon is like if you want to see. Video from this past weekend shows the kind of terrain to expect.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_from_PA View Post
    Ridley Creek is not worth visiting, bikers are mostly restricted to paved trails. You can also check out Mt Penn in Reading, Marsh Creek state park, or White Clay Creek state park in Deleware. What kind of riding do you want? That will help us give you the best options.
    I'm pretty much open to anything as long as it involves dirt, rocks, roots and the occasional stream crossing. The good scenery is always a plus. I'll probably have time to do anything causal around 10 miles depending on the climbs or a little less if it's more hard core.

Wissahickon looks like it might be worth looking at.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Just out of curiosity which do you guys prefer Wissahickon or Betzwood?

bigger than you.
    depends on how much climbing you like to do. A full loop at Wissahickon is nearly 20 miles and 3500 feet. Betzwood, depending on the route you take, is about 12 miles and anywhere from 200-800 feet. Wissahickon, at least the Chestnut hill side, is rocky and climb-tastic. The Roxboro side is slightly more flowy and rooty. Betzwood has logs, a few stream crossings, logs and a little bit of tech. i'll sum up the two trails this way: my first mountain bike ever was at wissahickon. I got lost and quickly found myself on trails that were way over my skill level. By the time I got out and made it back home, I'd decided that maybe mountain biking wasn't for me. A month or two later, I found betzwood and kept at it; betzwood isn't totally easy, but it is more approachable. I now try to ride Wissahickon at least once a week and enjoy Betzwood every time I ride there, but don't get there very much.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for the input gigantic. I think that sort of clears up the trails for me. I tinnk Betzwood would probably be better for the time I have. I would definitely like to check out Wissahickon when time allows. Sounds a lot like Patapsco what we have around here.

bigger than you.
    hunt around on strava for the trails. as mentioned before, betzwood, being part of Valley Forge National park, exists in a sort of Limbo: technically, mountain biking is off limits there and there's a few signs that indicate as such. However, the rangers, depending on their mood on any given day, allow it with a wink and a nod. I've had rangers direct me to the (off limits) trails, but I've also heard of rangers handing out tickets to mountain bikers. <ymmv> I recommend riding earlier in the day when there are fewer people about.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    ah.. ok I got it. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    The closest thing to Wayne is Swarthmore (Smedley Park) in terms of distance. I am not sure if there are any maps or not because I have ridden with a local builder. The riding is just as good as the Wiss. I have never been to Betzwood.

If you have the time go down 476 to exit 3 Baltimore Pike. Take a left towards the mall and look for the first street on the left Paper Mill Road (no light). Follow that road all the way to the end. You can find the trail by going right from the playground and climbing and going towards the bridge underpass. There are also trails going to the right from the bridge underpass that you will be parked.
    2017 XL Santa Cruz Tallboy

bigger than you.
    Having lived in Wayne for several years, I'd disagree that Smedley is closer. Betzwood was an easy 7 mile ride, mostly dh, from my house. Smedley is nearly twice that distance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Smedley is as good as the Wissahickon??? That's news to me. Have a bunch of new trails been built?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Z. Ryder View Post
    Smedley is as good as the Wissahickon???
    Pass the pipe bro, I need some of that too. Lol

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    If you're in wayne and only have one choice, the wiss is it. Valley forge is ok but not nearly as serious.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava View Post
    Sounds a lot like Patapsco what we have around here.
    I think if you like Patapsco, you'll like the Wissahickon. It has been a while since I've been to Patapsco, but I recall many similarities.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I would agree that Wiss is a whole hell of a lot like Patapsco. Maybe a little bit more rocky, but it has been a while since I rode down there. Wiss tends to be drier as it drains about 2000% better than patapsco though, which is nice.

mtbr member
    yea wiss is great on... weekdays. if you go weekends go real early or late. there is a ton of hikers,bikers dogs you nam it its tough to get any real momentum going. not that VF is empty on weekend either but I have never found it as packed on the betzwood trails namely bc its not a very popular part of VF. lotta horse however leaving masses piles of shit

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ash216 View Post
    I would agree that Wiss is a whole hell of a lot like Patapsco. Maybe a little bit more rocky, but it has been a while since I rode down there. Wiss tends to be drier as it drains about 2000% better than patapsco though, which is nice.
    Alright I think you guys sold me on Wiss. lol sounds like the place to visit.

Pull my finger
    Quote Originally Posted by guswalls View Post
    The closest thing to Wayne is Swarthmore (Smedley Park) in terms of distance. I am not sure if there are any maps or not because I have ridden with a local builder. The riding is just as good as the Wiss. I have never been to Betzwood.
    I live closer to Smedley in Delco but work in Wayne - no way is Smedley closer to Wayne than the VF/Betzwood trails.

To the OP - as others have mentioned, at VF/Betzwood there are trails both sides of the river, all of questionable legality, but fun to ride. Mostly packed singletrack and nowhere near as much elevation change as Wissahickon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    You should check out Harmony hills as well. Its also out near marsh creek. Pretty fast and flowy. Victory brewing is a good visit afterwards. Not enough mileage for a full day trip. You can do this a both directions in afternoon.

East Bradford (Harmony Hill) Recreation Area Mountain Bike Trail in Downingtown, Pennsylvania || SINGLETRACKS.COM

mtbr member
    I love the Wiss. Well, I love it early in the morning. The hikers, dogs, horses, and whatever other whacky shit you come across out there can ruin your flow. It can get pretty technical out there. The whole idea to that place is speed. The faster you go the more fun it is. At least to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigger than you.
    The Wiss isn't that technical.

mtbr member
    For around here I think it is. It's certainly not Colorado tech but compared to most of the popular spots in the area, it's a bit more gnar. I'd say blue/black whereas most areas are green/blue in terms or trail difficulty.

I enjoy it, though I wish we had an Alligrippis nearby. White Clay is about as close as we get.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    The Wiss isn't that technical.

I completely agree. Wiss is rough in spots, has a couple of places with some ledges that take a little effort to get up, but nothing too technical.

French Creek, Brandwine SP in DE, Salisbury are all much more technical.
    And some of Gretna. All are about an hour outside of Philly.

That being said, for being within the city limits of a major metropolis, it is pretty amazing.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by stunnerable View Post
    I enjoy it, though I wish we had an Alligrippis nearby. White Clay is about as close as we get.
    yawn. Boring, might as well bring your road bike to make it semi-interesting. Spin, spin, spin, yay!

Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    I completely agree. Wiss is rough in spots, has a couple of places with some ledges that take a little effort to get up, but nothing too technical.

That being said, for being within the city limits of a major metropolis, it is pretty amazing.
    yeah, it's a fantastic trail system and great for working your lungs and legs, and it does have a couple, great, rocky sections, but by and large, it's not as mentally challenging as say, Belmont where you really have to have some technical skills to negotiate (and enjoy) the logs and find the flow.

mtbr member
    I see where you and I differ now. Belmont is exactly the opposite of what I find fun. I mostly enjoy speed and flow with some drops, hucks, and jumps mixed in for good measure. Belmont is annoyingly technical to me. I mean, I'm glad it exists for those that get their kicks with that type of riding.. but, it's not my personal cup of tea.

Wiss is a pretty good blend of different types of riding in one big loop. The fact that it's in the city limits certainly amplifies it's "cool factor" though.

At the end of the day who cares. As long as you're having fun.

🏻

bigger than you.
    if you only do fast riding on buff trails, you're pretty much only fast on buff trails. The guys who are fast at Belmont are pretty fast anywhere. i wanna be like them.

mtbr member
    That's true. Without question. I guess I'm more of a "soul" mountain biker. I do it because I love it. If I'm not the fastest.. meh. Again, to each their own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post

Funny, I have often thought that French creek was too like the Wiss to go back to!

From your list, the Salisbury is the jewel. Just an amazing set of trails that is fun and challenging.
    It is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I didn't find Brandywine Creek to be any more technical than the Wiss. Although there was probably some stuff that I didn't ride so maybe I missed the real tech stuff. Both are awesome though.