Trails near Bradford, PA?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Trails near Bradford, PA?

I'm re-locating from the west coast to Bradford, PA. What's the story with trails in the area? When searching online, I'm not seeing a lot pop up. Any thoughts on the area?

I've heard about Jakes Rock. Anything ridable there yet?

thanks!

mtbr member
    There isn't a ton of rideable trails in the western half of Pa currently...still snow and ice covered, if not a total mud mess. There is not a lot of official trail near Bradford, but if one were to check out the Strava global heat map you will see that there are miles on miles of singletrack/doubletrack/old narrowline rail grades to be explored. On top of that there is Morraine SP a short drive away and Allegheny National Forest to check out.

Ellicotville, NY. About 30 minutes. An IMBA epic, and all around cool little town. Definitely the best quality option. Allegany state park, red house side has some decent trails, but note that currently much of the park is hiker only, also unless you park outside the park and ride up the mountain into the park, it $7 park fee. Check out wnymba.org

mtbr member
    All good options. Jakes rocks should be online by next year I believe. Check out namba for all the details. Also as mentioned above there are hundreds of miles of lease roads etc to check out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    We should see ground broken on the Jake's Rocks trails project this spring....hopefully early too. The final objection period is almost over(45 days from 2/26/15 puts it at 4/10 or 4/11 depending on how you count it) and after that we can move dirt. No timeline yet though and I have no idea how much will actually get built this year.

It you're a good technical rider Morrison Trail is a fun place to play, but it's not for the faint of heart. There's a few options for loops and out/back rides that are doable too and not too technical. One being a XC ski trail that's pretty mellow, but short and fast. The full outer loop is around 13 miles, but after you ride it once you'll come to appreciate how technical it is. There is some hike-a-bike as well, but that often depends on logs down (I've been working on it for years, but it's remote and hard to get it all...and then you have to start all over again!) One particular loop is fun, but you have cross the stream what seems like 100 times....that gets old, but there's other routes that nix that portion and still provide plenty to ride. At any rate, it's on SR59 between Bradford and the Kinzua reservoir....here's a map: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5107581.pdf

There's some good riding in Hearts Content area as well. The Tanbark trail runs from US62 at the river up into Hearts Content and connects to the North Country Trail (no bikes allowed on the NCT). It's another technical trail, but not even close to Morrison in comparison. This is getting a little further from you....but I know it, so I might as well share it!

Harris Hill Extension is a tight, twisty network of single-track in Gerry, NY. I don't know what the mileage is now, but it's well maintained and fun. It's tight, humps up and down, fun place to ride. Group rides there every Thursday starting at 5pm. I don't know the trails here as well, but I've helped build some of them and ride there a couple times a year. It's generally short, stacked loops....like a maze at times, but you can always get back easily enough. Take a map and/or snap a pic at the trailhead when you start as it can get confusing....especially the first time.

There's tons of fire/well roads to ride also....of course they are what they are....

There's also an ATV trailhead near Willow Bay that is always open to MTBing....they can be fun and you can ride them in any weather. There's another near Warren (Rocky Gap) that we ride regularly.

I don't know much out towards Bradford, unfortunately. I imagine if you stop in to the LBS (Just Riding Along) they'll be able to help you out with more local stuff too.

Welcome to the area! I'd be glad to show you Morrison if that type of riding is your cup-o-tea. I love the place!

Hermit
    Unfortunately the ANF is very restrictive towards mtb use, with most of the trails there declared off limits to riders. As mentioned, Rimrock Morrison Trail is one of the better ones where it's still allowed, as well as Tanbark Trail. If you're into exploring you can find miles and miles of forest service and abandoned oil/timber/railroad access roads - not exactly singletrack but at least it's there.

Harris Hill Extension state forest in NY is where the trailbuilders from Warren, PA are putting their skills to use. Check out the 'mtb'ers Harris Hill Ext.' facebook page for info.

There is a trail network that extends from Bradford towards the ANF, made by the Tuna Valley Trail Association. When I contacted them a couple of years ago they said that these trails were open to bikes - but I think if I were you I'd verify that before I checked them out.

TVTA Homepage

Jakes Rocks is going to be great, but we may be old men with long beards before it happens.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by swampboy62 View Post

Jakes Rocks is going to be great, but we may be old men with long beards before it happens.

Steve Z
    As I understand it, the only people that can object are those that objected in the first round. Since there were none this last objection period is basically a procedural 'must do' kind of thing.

There is funding in place to break ground as well. No start date or timeline yet though. If we're allowed to do it, we'll start building trail by hand as soon as we can (I understand that we are indeed allowed once this last objection period is over). I'll confirm that as soon as I know for certain.

I also understand that the trails will be put in 'generally' in the order of most difficult to least difficult due to the amount of work/time involved in making the beginner trails (they have to be smooth, wide and basically featureless, consistent tread, not to steep or in any way dangerous).

I'm very excited about this trail system. Not only because it's in my backyard, so to speak, but because it'll offer varying types of riding from very beginner level 'groomed' trails to gnarly, boulder-strewn decents. Some one-way(DOWNHILL) stuff. Some undulating flowing goodness. Just a bit of everything.

To be honest, the one and only thing about Raystown that I have anything even remotely negative to say is that it lacks diversity....speed (and the dips!) is the challenge there, I personally like technical stuff a bit more. Flow sure is fun though and I make the trip there to ride at least once a year because it's still a blast. It's wearing in too and that's something I like with more roots and rocks exposed....it's not as buttery smooth as it was a few years ago.

Rothrock is on my to do list this year as well. Seems right up my alley, though I've never ridden there.

Clear Creek State Park has some pretty nice trails too. Plenty of rocks and some flow too. It's a bit of a ride from Bradford, but I grew up not too far south of there so I try to fit in a ride there when I'm down that way. They have a race there as well...the Fat Tire Challenge.

Cheers,

Jason

mtbr member
    shreddie4, as said above, Bradford is not far from Ellicottville, home to a nice little ski resort, cool town and great mountain biking. That is your best bet for great riding. check this website for info in Western NY State and the Southern Tier (directly across boarder from Bradford). Home

As also said above, Allegany State Park (NY side) has some trail, but it is mostly XC ski trails. A new section of mountain bike trail was put in by WNYMBA, its not bad, but all those trails are beginer/intermediate type without any technical challenge.

Bradford, as most of Western NY, has a lot of trail that is local knowledge. The area has vast and remote forests with steep rocky hills (I think they just had a bigfoot sighting in Smithport, PA). Its not that the trails have questionable status or anything, it is more the result of few people, huge area, type of reason, so they are not known or publicized to the general population; people just go out and ride the trails they know. There are a ton of old timber, gas, forest roads and old school trails that are ridden and you can get some great riding on those, but they are tribal knowledge and hard to find, so you need to find some people in the know. The LBS has group trail rides so hooking up with them will open up more trails to you.

If you like the outdoors, Bradford can be pretty nice. There is close skiing in the winter - both xc and downhill- miles of roads with little traffic for road riding, plenty of trail opportunities, hiking, paddling, even some climbing down near Ridgeway at Indian Rocks. hunting and fishing as well. The cost of living there is pretty low too.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Yeah Man, I agree with your take on Raystown. It is superfun, but no diversity. A great weekend would be to go get flogged at Rothrock (Home to the 101 and Stoopid 50) on Saturday and then head over to Raystown on a Sunday.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That's my plan for sometime this spring....if spring ever even comes!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    make sure you check out the Western New York Mountain bike Association web site mentioned earlier. There is a lot of riding in Western New York. I am from Pittsburgh but love to ride up there as much as I can. You can also search for Northern Allegheny Mountain Bike Association as well. Clear Creek in Siegel Pa go to fat tire challenge web site for information or facebook, on the trails there. I ride the Marienville Motorcycle trail as well, its around 23 miles of decent riding. You can find the trail systems on PA DCNR web sites. Great Riding in PA just a little further south towards the BURGH.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Great info! Thanks. I'll miss the riding here in Oregon but it sounds like NW PA/WNY both have plenty of options.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Love this thread...

Lots of info in a great area! keep it coming!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just a heads up since this seems like a good place:

The ANF supervisor put some comments in the local paper today. In a nutshell she said the uses of the forest have changed in regards to recreation. Basically said that fishing, boating etc. is being replaced with hiking, backpacking, biking, horse riding and general trail users. Seemed excited about the Jake's rocks project and looks forward to getting that underway.

I'd gladly link the article, but the paper is a pay-for-use website and you guys will only get to see about the first two sentences.

Oh, and Rocky Gap is looking rideable real soon. I don't know what the north slopes and valleys look like, but the top is almost snow free....and might be completely after yesterday's beautiful weather. Time to dust of the chaps and tune up the saw!