Trails near Bear Creek Mtn Resort?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Trails near Bear Creek Mtn Resort?

Going skiing next weekend at Bear Creek and staying in their hotel. Anyone know if there are any trails close by to make it worth bringing my bike?

VMB
    Bear Creek has its own trail system, however I don't know if they allow riding during ski season. There are some other trials nearby, 15-20 mins away. South Mountain Emmaus trials, Salisbury Township (Walking Purchase Park), and Trexler Game Preserve. More info. can be found on Home | VMB - Lehigh Valley, PA Mountain Bike Club

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    You can ride their trails year round. We just rode there 2 weeks ago. Go clockwise around the mountain or you will have zero fun

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sferguson24 View Post
    You can ride their trails year round. We just rode there 2 weeks ago. Go clockwise around the mountain or you will have zero fun
    Wow, this surprises me. I know they have their own trail system, but I never thought they'd be open for biking use while they have their mountain open for skiing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The trail only touches the ski slopes at the very top, they don't interfere with each other. Definitely go clockwise!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Great!!! I'l bring my bike. Any advice on where I should begin the ride?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Trails near Bear Creek Mtn Resort?

Start in the lot above their pond, on the right when your driving in, trail is right across the road from that lot

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You can also pick up the trail right behind the tennis courts, they have a connector for guest to use. Follow the trail to the top and when you get to the ski trail go left there is a long straight climb to the top.

mtbr member
    If I recall the majority of the bike trails were too tight/technical for considerable skiing anyway.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Such great advice. Thank you. I'll post some pics in this thread if everything works out (taking 3 kids and the wife skiing, so gonna try to steal some time away to bike).

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Honestly, I would just spend all your time on the BC trails. There's a lot of offshoots off the main loop to link together and play with. The other local stuff is all fine, but I dunno that it's fine enough to steal you away from BC if you're already there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm surprised they allow mtb on the trails this time of year, too. Good to know.
    The only place I'd recommend you check out if time permits would be Trexler, and that is mainly b/c it is so different from most of the other trails in SE PA. It's more of a "flow" type system, without many rocky/rooty sections, and lots of jumps and berms.
    Have fun and let us know what the Bear Creek trail conditions are next weekend!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I was thinking Trexler, but if there's snow or ice or whatever, it's considerably less flowy. If it is dry though, and he feels like driving 35 minutes, it'd be a swell option. My theory though is if if I'm already at the resort, and there's biking onsite, with skiing, I'd be hard pressed to motivate my ass to go elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Agreed on "why leave when there are trails here", but I have a hard time getting my philly area riding buddies to venture to the Lehigh Valley to ride. Most of the riding up there is similar to the riding around here (steepness and more prolonged climbing aside), so they haven't ridden south mt, trex or sals with me yet. If my in-laws weren't up there, it'd take more motivation to get a ride in up there myself.
    To completely hijack this thread, how many of you ski/snowboard in addition to biking?

mtbr member
    Always wanted to but layoffs usually happen in winter...
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    I hope I don't get slammed for throwing this out there but the trail at BC is extremely technical IMHO. I've been riding for 26 years, have a killer bike and have no problem with something like the Wiss. To me, even going clockwise, BC is just too technical to enjoy, especially after you pass the top. That said, if that's your thing, go for it. I just want you to know that going in.

mtbr member
    glorth2 honesty will never be rewarded on an internet message board.... I would say the exact same thing as you (almost as many years riding, I have a sweet bike and no issue with French Creek, Wiss or even Rothrock type riding) and also have the same feeling for BC. But I find myself a glutton for punishment and try to get there a couple times a year to work on my tech skills.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I can appreciate his honesty, but the only time I thought it too technical was when I literally just started riding about 5 years ago with a hardtail 26er and no skill. I soon after got a rigid fatbike and honed my skills at Sals and Emmaus, and then Bear Creek became my favorite for techy riding. I'm an average rider and with my full squish bike I LOVE descending Bear Creek when going clockwise. Stay loose and you're golden.

If they can have XC nationals there, it ain't technical enough that it should scare away a typical rider.

But yeah, to each his own. I am glad Bear Creek exists though

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It is also fun to ascend clockwise and then play at the top and descend back down the same way you came up.

mtbr member
    Point taken XJaredX. At 45 and a halfish with 16 and 13 year old boys and 2 ex-wives, I don't care what others think much of my riding these days. I'm in this for fun and if it ain't fun and I ain't gettin' paid for it, I'm out. I keep up pretty well with the local guys I know as good riders and that's good enough for me. More importantly, I want the OP to have another opinion of the trails he'd be planning to ride. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Trails near Bear Creek Mtn Resort?-img_0279.jpgTrails near Bear Creek Mtn Resort?-img_0278.jpgTrails near Bear Creek Mtn Resort?-img_0281.jpg

It was a nice loop going clockwise. THe conditions were .25 inch of crunchy snow over mostly ice/gravel/leaves. Traction was pretty good for most parts. Very little hike-a-bike. Some of the bridges were icy. Luckily, I had a fresh set of Conti MKs.

I went at sunrise on Sat morning at a temp of 28F so everything was nice and frozen. Winter riding is great when its cold out. Above freezing and everything would've been a sloppy mess.

I would put the difficulty level at about Neshaminy. The ascent wasn't bad, and the descent was a blast. I had to keep things tame because of the conditions, but would love to try it again in late Summer. It was more technical than Pennypack, but not as technical as trail 15 @ Mt. Gretna.

Thank you all for your excellent advice!!
    Last edited by Goldberm; 01-19-2015 at 05:08 PM. Reason: pictures

mtbr member
    BC is a fun place to ride. Glad you went out and hit the trails during winter.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep: