Trails by Grand Canyon question -. *solved*- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trails by Grand Canyon question -. *solved*

Thanks to Stick and XCoalMiner for you suggestions. I failed to let you know that I was waiting for a book I bought from Amazon; Mountain Biking Pennsylvania, by Rob Ginieczki. [$20 used for $14 with shipping]. It arrived on Saturday and it looks like the answer to my questions. There are 5 trails from the 8 listed close to where we will be staying that meet my requirements.

When I look up the trails in the book from Pennsylvania trails I have ridden I am realizing this book will be extremely valuable for a successful trip. Great maps. Great descriptions. Great value!

Bb, [ Ahhhhh, here I come rocks! ]
    bikes are art you ride

mtbr member

Enjoy the trip.

Sandy and I were planning to ride that area on Monday, 8/1. Plans changed and we won't but I will be interested in your report.

Good luck getting some passion back, by the way. My "passion" this year is to ride 100 days. I hit #70 last night (damn hot day to do it). Next year my goal is to do a century ride. Haven't figured out 2007 yet. Ski a hundred days? Nah, that won't happen until I retire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have mixed feelings about that book. The trail descriptions and pics are nice and well done, but the maps are just terrible, in some cases they're just plain wrong.

If the trail described in the book is in a state forest, (which many of them are), I always get the green state forest map that covers the area and use that. The state forest maps aren't perfect, but at least they show the contours and whether you're going uphill, level or downhill, where streams and lakes are, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

This is great information!

Thank you so much. It's fun getting lost sometimes, but not always.

I'm sure we can pick up the forest maps in Wellsboro at the Country Ski & Sports. If you have a better suggestion on where to pick them up I would be forever indebted to you.

Bb, [ wondering why the book would try and get you lost... ]
    bikes are art you ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Not many bike or outdoor gear shops carry the state forest maps. They're free, and you can always get them from the state forest district offices.

For the Tioga SF, from downtown Wellsboro go about two miles out of town on Rt 287 (south, past hospital), and the office building will be on the right, alongside a lake. If they're closed for the day, look for a little mailbox-slot thing near the front door, and they should have some maps in the slot.

I don't think the book purposely tries to get you lost, the maps are just not very useful. Especially if you want to venture off course and explore some other trails or paths.