Trails by Grand Canyon of Penn.-Southern NY? [CrossPost]- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trails by Grand Canyon of Penn.-Southern NY? [CrossPost]

Hi Kids!,

First, for those that haven't seen me here in a long time, "Howdy"...I'm not obsessed about mtb'ing anymore...I just enjoy it along with many other things in my life...[where as, my life was once only *mountain biking*].

A bud and I think the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania would be fun, but I can only find rails-to-trails stuff, plus one 3 mile out and back that might be interesting for warm-up. I checked the Trails Review, but I don't know the local sections of territory that might actually be referring to the very place I want to go. I've spent over an hour looking at the PA trail reviews and came away frustrated.

So I went and looked at my own area trail reviews and there is really no way for someone outside the area to know that Catonsville and Towson are both 25 minutes from my house unless you know the area in the first place.

Help...

My favorite trails are short and technical. Rocks are good and short steep hills too. We are willing to drive and hour from our camp, but much more than that and it's like driving to work and not a vacation.

Got a lame answer from County Ski & Sports in Wellsboro. I won't tell you his name, but this is what his response was to the same questions I ask here about rocks being good..."Actually, you should stop into our 81 Main St store...That will be your PRIME*source for the local trail info."

What the hell is that!!! How is that suppose to help? We get up there and I'll bet 9 - 1 he will send us on big flat and smooth double track. Ewwwww!

Bb, [it's looking more and more like Pittsburgh will being seeing us.]
    bikes are art you ride

Inbred Homebrewer
    Hey Doug,

Long time no..uhh...see? The only trail I'm familiar with in that area is the Black Forest trail. It's primarily a hiking trail, though every time I've gone backpacking there I sorta wished I'd had my bike. I don't recall ever seeing signs stating that bikes aren't allowed, so you could probably give it a go. Then again, it's been 8 yrs or so since I last hiked it, so I don't really know anymore. Technical? You bet. Expect more than a few sections of hike-a-bike.

http://www.kta-hike.org/black.htm

Sorry I can't be of more help. Try posting something here: http://www.bikevmb.com. Someone (perhaps one a little more 'local') might be able to point in a better direction.

Or, you could save yourself some driving and just come up to French Creek. Rent a cabin or a campsite, ride, float around one of the lakes, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by bikebreath
    Hi Kids!,

First, for those that haven't seen me here in a long time, "Howdy"...I'm not obsessed about mtb'ing anymore...I just enjoy it along with many other things in my life...[where as, my life was once only *mountain biking*].

A bud and I think the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania would be fun, but I can only find rails-to-trails stuff, plus one 3 mile out and back that might be interesting for warm-up. I checked the Trails Review, but I don't know the local sections of territory that might actually be referring to the very place I want to go. I've spent over an hour looking at the PA trail reviews and came away frustrated.

So I went and looked at my own area trail reviews and there is really no way for someone outside the area to know that Catonsville and Towson are both 25 minutes from my house unless you know the area in the first place.

Help...

My favorite trails are short and technical. Rocks are good and short steep hills too. We are willing to drive and hour from our camp, but much more than that and it's like driving to work and not a vacation.

Got a lame answer from County Ski & Sports in Wellsboro. I won't tell you his name, but this is what his response was to the same questions I ask here about rocks being good..."Actually, you should stop into our 81 Main St store...That will be your PRIME*source for the local trail info."

What the hell is that!!! How is that suppose to help? We get up there and I'll bet 9 - 1 he will send us on big flat and smooth double track. Ewwwww!

Bb, [it's looking more and more like Pittsburgh will being seeing us.]
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    These guys (local to Wellsboro/Mansfield) will have some info: www.twistedspokes.org

There's a link in there to a bike shop in Mansfield (Oswald Cycle Works). They will have some info, too. The Country Ski & Sport shop in Wellsboro is a small operation, I can't really fault them for wanting you to stop in and spend some money. There's also the Tioga State Forest HQ office in Wellsboro, (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...sts/tioga.aspx), they will have maps, etc. Call them, they have people who are paid to answer questions and point you in the right direction. (Reply back if you do that, I'd be curious what they recommend).

My experiences in the immediate Grand Canyon area is that the main access and the fire roads, on each side of the canyon, offer the best tradeoff for riding. Not all are singletrack, and the access roads get cars on them. But the trails in the canyon are not good for riding, some are even marked with the no mountain biking sign (West Rim and Mid State Trails for ex.). I've tried some of the XC-ski trails, thinking those would be good riding, (Bee Tree Ski Trail was one), but I couldn't give any of them good reviews, lots of blow downs, and not well maintained when I was there.

But, if you go about 15 miles west, to the Susquehannock State Forest, in the Denton Hill area of Potter County, and also south towards Ole Bull State Park, there are lots and lots of singletrack, varies from easy to rocky, technical stuff. And less traffic and fewer people, too.

Keep on Rockin...

Smile Denton Hill area in Potter on Rt 6...

Quote Originally Posted by XCoalMiner
    These guys (local to Wellsboro/Mansfield) will have some info: www.twistedspokes.org

There's a link in there to a bike shop in Mansfield (Oswald Cycle Works). They will have some info, too. The Country Ski & Sport shop in Wellsboro is a small operation, I can't really fault them for wanting you to stop in and spend some money. There's also the Tioga State Forest HQ office in Wellsboro, (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...sts/tioga.aspx), they will have maps, etc. Call them, they have people who are paid to answer questions and point you in the right direction. (Reply back if you do that, I'd be curious what they recommend).

My experiences in the immediate Grand Canyon area is that the main access and the fire roads, on each side of the canyon, offer the best tradeoff for riding. Not all are singletrack, and the access roads get cars on them. But the trails in the canyon are not good for riding, some are even marked with the no mountain biking sign (West Rim and Mid State Trails for ex.). I've tried some of the XC-ski trails, thinking those would be good riding, (Bee Tree Ski Trail was one), but I couldn't give any of them good reviews, lots of blow downs, and not well maintained when I was there.

But, if you go about 15 miles west, to the Susquehannock State Forest, in the Denton Hill area of Potter County, and also south towards Ole Bull State Park, there are lots and lots of singletrack, varies from easy to rocky, technical stuff. And less traffic and fewer people, too.

Over the last 2 years a great trail system has been developing in the right off of Rt 6 in the Denton Hill, "Potatoe City" area (between Coudersport and Galeton). That's about a 40 min drive West of Wellsboro. Most trails have been designed by mountain bikers for mountain biking. The trails are quite new and most are not on any "official" maps. They won't be in Griz's book. You won't get much info from the Forestry Dept there unless you run into the right person. I live right on top of the mountain and am on the trails almost every day. I've "guided" at least a few folks who've come from out of the area. If you get onto one of the better trails/loops the riding is very technical. Most of my riding time is spent on my Bullit if that gives you an idea but also ride most trails on my SS and XC bike as well. There is everything from xc to freeride (nothing crazy though) and if you know the good routes you'll spend a whole day on maintained single track with very little dirt road riding. There are a few of us that do a fair amount of shuttling. We'll often start near the top of Denton, and ultimately end up at the bottom of the mountain by one of the streams and go for a dip. Of course there will be a pickup with a cooler and beer waiting.

Aside from good single track the area offers hundreds of thousands of acres of remote,and in most areas secluded, pristine forest.

I'm always glad to show folks around but will be out of town a bit over the next 2 weeks and coming off of a leg injury but if you need some help let me know. I'm always looking to get more riders to come to the area. Repost or pm me. It's a remote area and our trails just don't get enough use.

My recommendation is if you are into challenging, technical mountain biking it'll be worth the drive to Potter County. On the other hand if you are more into dirt road, easy single track riding stay near Wellsboro area (look up the Twisted Spokes guys; nice guys).

Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks, Mike

I did PM you.

I'm getting pumped for this trip.

Bb, [ gonna hurt so good! ]
    bikes are art you ride