Trails around Philadelphia- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Trails around Philadelphia

hey guys new to the forum. Tried searching but came up with a lot of info but... Well im just getting back into mtbing and i am looking for some decent trails around Philadelphia. I really ride any type of trail so that doesent matter. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Can't feel my legs
    Go to reviews>trails>PA>Philadelphia. Only has 1 listing for Philly, but many referals.

mtbr member
    thanks..

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2
    '15 Niner SIR 9 SS
    '14 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Many, many places to ride near Philly or within 1 hour drive. What part of Philly are you in? Do you have a car?

mtbr member

Philly

If your are just getting back into things again, you may consider Pennypack Park (part of the Fairmount system). Nice mix of trails with some hills & stream crossings to make it fun. You can get 16-17 miles on a typical loop or as much as 25 if you include Lorimar & a run to the river.

Quote Originally Posted by h2bmess
    hey guys new to the forum. Tried searching but came up with a lot of info but... Well im just getting back into mtbing and i am looking for some decent trails around Philadelphia. I really ride any type of trail so that doesent matter. Any info would be great. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Wissahickon (single and double track, semi technical)
    Pennypack (single and double track non-technical)
    Green Lane (Single track, semi-technical)
    White Clay/ Middle Run (DE) (single track, fast, very flowy)
    French Creek (single track, fairly technical)
    High Rocks (single track, fairly technical)
    Salisbury (single track, semi to fairly technical)
    Fairhill (MD) single and double track

Some suggestions of my favorites, not in any particular order

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    also...
    VF
    Belmont
    Don Guanella/swarthmore
    Brandywine
    Exton
    Marsh Creek
    Harmony Hill
    search the trail reviews for these locations

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Marsh Creek
    Harmony Hill

What I mainly ride. Harmony is awesome but it is mostly downhill then you climb. It is fun though and a good workout. Marsh Creek is more technical and has every type of terrian you would want.

If you are going to Harmony Hill, message me and I will tell you an address to park at so you can put it in your GPS.

Hope This Helps.
    1998 GT Palomar, 2009 Gary Fisher Paragon.

mtbr member
    hey guys went riding here are some pics i snapped

Heres a bad cell pic of me and the new bike!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ^^^ Is that Pennypack in the NE Philly? The first pic was there railroad tracks then a nice downhill? If so I know exactly where that is and it is a nice trail. Where I use to ride all the time. I might have to do that track tomorrow and take an hour drive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    btw where is the spot with all the graffiti? and is your bike a 29er? Just got one and I am loving it after my first trial ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Fairmont is decent, I ride up at Salisbury (lehigh valley) and High Rocks, decent. Fairmont is pretty big, which is nice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raekism
    ^^^ Is that Pennypack in the NE Philly? The first pic was there railroad tracks then a nice downhill? If so I know exactly where that is and it is a nice trail. Where I use to ride all the time. I might have to do that track tomorrow and take an hour drive.

yea thats the spot...i havent been in the park in about 5 years but its soo much fun to be back. The grafitti is where we took a break on our ride. Its under the bridge that is Roosevelt Blvd. Prob about 2 miles from the railroad pic. Nice spot to take pics. Yup just picked up my Specialized Rockhopper 29er...its amazing best bike ive had ever.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Wissahickon (single and double track, semi technical) Most technical of this whole list. Most of the trails are 5 feet wide with multiple lines - not single or doubletrack. Very worth driving to.

White Clay/ Middle Run (DE) (single track, fast, very flowy) TRUE single track - as in, most of the trails are only slightly wider than your tires. Bring a rigid bike. With a bell for passing riders. Lots of ground to cover there though. Skills park the most interesting thing there.

French Creek (single track, fairly technical) Again, not single track. Mostly 5 feet wide. Very worth the drive. Rocky. Some fantasic decents. Bring a 29er or FS.

Fairhill (MD) (single and double track) If you're thinking about going here you might as well just go an extra couple miles and go to White Clay

Also, Marsh Creek near Downingtown PA. Some technical single track around the lake, some steep horse trails to huck down, some wider trails also. Good stuff. Not a ton of distance to cover though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    wouldn't want to be around there after dark though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMCEADS
    where is that???

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    He's probably talking about Wiss.

Granted, its IN the city and shady characters have easy access to it. But a few simple things can help you avoid being raped/crushed by falling tress. Such as being there with a buddy, not using an Ipod so you hear things around you, and just generally keeping your eyes open and not being clueless like alot of the people walking/biking on forbidden dr.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    there are LOTS of folks night riding at wissahickon.

been doing it reguarly for years and never had a problem (knocking on some wood).

i even go solo occasionally though i must say nightriding is much better/safer with a group.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    A couple more of more options
    Neshaminy HS (aka Idlewood) - small, but nice mix of hills with both flowy and techie sections. All single track and well-maintained. Not a full day destination, but good for an hour or two.
    Core Creek Park - Near Newtown PA. Generally flat, fast single track with good flow, some bridges and log piles. Again not a full day destination but a full loop will take about 1.5 hours.

Several of my Philly-area friends also regularly ride at places in NJ, such as six-mile run, Clayton, and Allaire. White Clay/Middle Run in Delaware is great for a fun, full day adventure.
    It's all good

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMCEADS
    I would not ride Pennypack after dark unless with a large group. I was there around 5pm and there is some shady characters in there. The best was the couple walking and their baby in the stroller, they were sharing a blunt. That was classy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raekism
    I would not ride Pennypack after dark unless with a large group. I was there around 5pm and there is some shady characters in there. The best was the couple walking and their baby in the stroller, they were sharing a blunt. That was classy.
    it really doesent bother me...i keep protection in my camel back. just in case something were to happen

mtbr member
    condoms won't help in this situation.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by justriding
    condoms won't help in this situation.
    haha yea thats true...I went riding today and me and my buddy found some great single trails they were alot of fun...rdy to hit them again soon

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Neshaminy hs is fun place to ride.... ride there from my house make around a 20-25 mile loop if i do two laps. Wiss is a little more fun tho... more flowy and more trails either place if fun. I agree about pennypack would not ride there at night with out at least 5 people with bright lights.

Members who have read this thread: 0