Trails in and around Canadensis...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Trails in and around Canadensis...

Looking for single track in or around Canadensis. Have ridden the fire roads in the State Parks and Forests near by but was looking for something in northern Monroe County or southern Pike County. I've heard Burnt Mills is legal anyone ride there or have suggestions?

smell my finger
    Head up to Promised Land, grab a trail map at the park office. Miles of single track open to bikes, in the beatiful forest, plus you can grab a swim down at he beach when you're done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You may want to check out the singletrack in Big Pocono State Park. The park is located just west of Camelback. Drive past the ski area and park at the entrance of the state gamelands on the right just before to get to the top of the mountain. The best single track is a few miles west of the parking area and you will be riding rocky jeep roads to get there. They may still have maps at The Loft located at the bottom of the mountain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Thanks! I've ridden in Promised Land and Big Pocono, enjoyed both, and certainly will be headed back. Has anyone ridden in Delaware State Forest or anywhere near Snow Hill Road or 402?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

402 and Snow Hill

I have ridden both ares, but not for a couple of years. The Delaware State Forest trails along 402 are popular riding areas for ATVs. Consequently, the trails are all double track and can be a mess when wet. There are a couple of areas along Snow Hill road. There is a popular hiking trail (I cannot recall the name) where mountain bikes are not permitted. The parking area is not too far from 402. There is also a section of double track near the top of Snow Hill. The trail is very short on the north side and is much longer going south. It get very rocky. Closer to 447, there is another section called Sixteen Mile Run. It is a jeep road. Easy riding except for deep puddles after heavy rain.

Glen Park in East Stroudsburg also has trails. Most are intermediate to advanced, some quite steep.

Skier by trade
    Aug 2006
    Damn, I grew up in Canadensis. BEfore there were Mountain Bikes, we had a trail on Old Canadensis Hill behind the Catholic Church, but that was 30 years ago.
    Click. Point. Chute.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Thank you all for your comments! I took a quick spin through Delaware State Forest by snow hill road and while it needs some maintenance it's my closest ride so I'll be back. I also checked out Promised Land and "discovered" the trails on the other side of 390. Just like you said, lots of trails to ride so I'll be back. Those trails need some maintenance too so I'm going to submit a volunteer application so I can help out. Funny you mentioned the Church off 390 and 447, a local had said there used to be some snow hills back there but there appears to be a golf course through part of it and Buck Hills has put up no trespassing sign behind High Acres Park. I visited Glen Park a couple months ago for a clean up but haven't ridden it yet. I heard some trees were knocked down when the tornado passed through last week so i'm headed there this weekend to clear trails.
    Last edited by citykid; 08-06-2009 at 03:35 PM.

Skier by trade
    Aug 2006
    What about across from Buck Hill golf course towards "The Slides"? There used to be some hiking trails there. There used to be a 9 hole golf course at the bottom og Old Canadensis hill, I am guessing it isn't there any more. I grew up in that big white house where OCH hits Canadensis hill. There are some old double track that went from the top of Canadesis Hill to behind Melegranos, I used to snowmobile back there, but again, that was 30 years ago (when there was snow ) . Did you take a look down at Alpine Mountain?
    Click. Point. Chute.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Hey Phil,

I stopped by that golf course you mentioned and found out it's still there but the resort that owns it is in foreclosure. A local I was speaking with said it used to be one of many pitch and put places in the area and apparently one of the nicer ones. There are several resorts around there that have fallen on hard times. Alpine might be one of them. I recently read the Penn Hills resort, which I believe owns Alpine, has not had steady business but I always see people of the golf course so who knows.

Skier by trade
    Aug 2006
    What about Cresco Heights or Monomonock (ask another local). Who was the Local, I probably know him.
    Click. Point. Chute.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    I've hiked in Cresco Heights but never been to Monomonock. I didn't get the locals name but it was at the "duck race" that I happened upon going to the post office.

Members who have read this thread: 0