Trail Condition @ Roaring Run, Apollo, PA??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Trail Condition @ Roaring Run, Apollo, PA??

Can someone give us an update on trail conditions @ Roaring Run in Apollo, PA?

Some friends and I want to drive up, but we don't want wet conditions...

Thank you in advance!

mtbr member
    we havent been getting much rain lately so the conditions are good. i was there last saturday and the main loop trails were mostly dry, there were some muddy spots on the upper trails though but nothing bad. get out and ride while the riding is good!!!

Aug 2007
    ill second that. rode the blue loop and it was bone dry with the exception of the area right around the old mine fans. the only other wet spot was crossing the mine reclamation area just past the ho chi min trail sign

mtbr member
    is apollo SS friendly or am i gonna be doing a lot of hoofing out there?

Aug 2007
    lots of short steep uphills, fair amount of rocky technical areas. Ususally not very muddy due to the rocks. Id say its doable but there are definately some sections that switchback uphill may give you some problems. Most should be rideable for you though. Not a lot of extended climbs on the blue loop. upper trails have more

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    It's doable but might be a little painful in a couple spots. There aren't too many extended climbs, and once you get up them you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    thanks folks. i'll throw a 20T on and suck it up.

is there a recomended start spot? the trail review says the rail trail lot. i'll be heading there from Lower Burrell.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Start at the main parking lot, follow the rail trail about 1-1/2 miles. You'll pass a rail trail intersection and cross a small bridge across Roaring Run. As soon as you cross that, make a left and you will see the trail signs. Follow the Zig Zag trail up the hill and you are on your way. You could ride the loop in the other direction, but it's really designed to go up Zig Zag.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by daveg66
    Start at the main parking lot, follow the rail trail about 1-1/2 miles. You'll pass a rail trail intersection and cross a small bridge across Roaring Run. As soon as you cross that, make a left and you will see the trail signs. Follow the Zig Zag trail up the hill and you are on your way. You could ride the loop in the other direction, but it's really designed to go up Zig Zag.
    So another words, the zig zag is the left entrance and has you riding the loop in a clockwise direction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yes, clockwise when viewed from above. I've done part of the upper trail counter clockwise, and came down Zig Zag, but found it to be quite a bit more challenging. Seemed to be more hike a bikes going that way, especially for SSing.

Dave

Members who have read this thread: 0