Top Five in PA?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Top Five in PA?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Good job! Top Five in PA?

I am looking at stringing together a bunch of epic rides across PA, organized or not.

What ride would YOU list as being one of the top five rides in PA?

HT

mtbr member

A couple of rides to list...............

1. Lykens- in the Wiesser State forest, Check out the Rattling Creek Trail Riders site for suggestions on what trails to ride. rsct1.org
    2. Merli Sarnoski aka Fell Mountain in Carbondale
    3. BLue Marsh Creek near Reading

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Rothrock has to be on the list, right?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    seven springs to laurel mt and back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    This is going to be interesting reading! I was thinking about my list, and most were "Unnamed Trail" in ....

Ex-Clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana
    3. BLue Marsh Creek near Reading
    I think I might go do this one this weekend. Haven't done it in a few years.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Great idea. Make a circuit of epics-
    When you ride them all and you get a patch (Like some hiking clubs do!)
    My votes:
    Rattling creek
    rothrock
    Michaux
    Stony Creek fire tower loop- not ST but a fun "legal" ride

mtbr member

Good job! Me Too!

Quote Originally Posted by XCoalMiner
    This is going to be interesting reading! I was thinking about my list, and most were "Unnamed Trail" in ....
    That is what happened to me too. Living in NE PA there are so many unkown trails to most readers here. Mountain Top PA has a ton of stuff!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    yea, I was thinking about folks not wanting to give up their local rides but I figured if they're epic/classic rides, they should be mostly known already anyway.

Something like "Mountain Top PA" is specific enough, I guess...

I was primarily hoping that the whole state would be well represented. Seems that it shouldn't be hard to find a great ride in each part...

HT

Respect Your Trails
    Mt. Top..... is that near Reading/Lancaster, or up near WIlkes Barre?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana
    That is what happened to me too. Living in NE PA there are so many unkown trails to most readers here. Mountain Top PA has a ton of stuff!

mtbr member

Mountain Top is outside of Wilkes-Barre, PA in ..........

Northeast PA. Great riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Mt Top ?

I went up their once this year. Has anyone been pestered by the Game Commision?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    my top three

merli sarnoski park
    prompton park (10 minutes from merli, and better riding)
    rothrock

That should take care of central and NE PA....i don't know about the SE corner or anything west of state college. But i heard seven springs has some awesome stuff.

eci
    1. Tussey Ridge trail Rothrock State park.
    2. Camelback Single track loop
    3. Scotia (state college)
    4. Merli Sarnosky/Fell mtn loop
    5. American Standard Jim Thorpe

Prompton, Glen park get honorable mentions

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    personally at rothrock i'd rather ride around shingletown gap. I think the ride is a lot better than the ridge trail. But that is just me.

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    Quote Originally Posted by HardTail610
    I am looking at stringing together a bunch of epic rides across PA, organized or not.

What ride would YOU list as being one of the top five rides in PA?

HT
    HT 610

It's probally not what your looking for, but last year I rode the D&H rail-trail from the NY border to Carbondale, then the Lackawanna heritage trail to Pittston, then rode to the 7 tubs nature area in Bear Creek on trails, and then to Jim Thorpe. This is mostly a rail trail ride but there are a lots of side trails to explore.

LC

Ex-Clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne
    I think I might go do this one this weekend. Haven't done it in a few years.
    Blue Marsh is definitely a lot of fun if you're a fan of lots of smooth singletrack with a few technical hills and descents. 30 miles altogether.

However, it's a lot more fun if you don't forget your bike shoes at home. Being the stubborn person that I am, I refused to let something like this stop me, so I rode all 30 miles with regular sneakers on little ritchey clipless pedals. Next time I'll remember the shoes.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

Lez go.
    1. Jim Thorpe: American Standard into the Deer Path. 2. Snapper Run trails in Mountain Top if you have half a day to kill. I did one ride that was about 25 miles. Pack a lunch. 3. Philly: Start at the Art Museum, Kelly Drive to Wissahickon, do the entire loop, and come back. 30 miles? 4. NEPA: Super Tubs or Dead Deer.
    Team C2G
    Jah is my copilot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i have not travelled PA extensively but from what i have rode:

1. Rothrock State forest SSWC'05 course.

2. French Creek Red/White & red/Yellow linked up with some other trails on the otherside of shed road.

3. wissahickon/belmont combined park monster loop (still have yet to tackle he whole thing in one shot but i am getting closer)...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    tsk tsk tsk.

1. rattling creek
    2. r3 w/ optional singletrack sections to get rid of lame fireroads
    3. laurel highlands
    4. michaux
    5. bald eagle cowbell hollow ride

but i like technical stuff, and abhor the thought of scotia as "good riding" even though it's about 3 minutes from hy house.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitdon
    5. bald eagle cowbell hollow ride
    I know that one. In my top 20. But I'd avoid it during hunting season.

Nice no rass
    Quote Originally Posted by Penn State
    But i heard seven springs has some awesome stuff.
    7S is pretty good riding, but if you like technical stuff, Laurel Mountain blows it away IMO.

mtbr member

New question here. Goin to Prompton.........what do you think about Prompton?

Sunday ride planned. ANy thoughts on Prompton? THx.

mtbr member
    In no particular order:

Merli
    Prompton
    Lackawanna state park

All within 30 minutes of eachother. All built by the (now diminished) Lackawanna bike club.

One of the cool things about them is as you're riding a specific part of the trail at one location, you get de-javu cause it feels like one of the other parks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Lackawanna is dead... But we are alive and well

Hey Larry. Check us out at HubbardBicycleClub.com We have built many new trail in the area. We are riding Prompton tomorrow (Saturday) at 9AM

mtbr member

"American Standard" In the Jim Thorpe area.............

was not listed to many times? I rode it today, wow, 14 mile mostly single track, challenging, yes rocky- rocky- Rocky, but lots of fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilboy
    Hey Larry. Check us out at HubbardBicycleClub.com We have built many new trail in the area. We are riding Prompton tomorrow (Saturday) at 9AM
    Yea, I've been on one or two of those rides the past couple years. ttyl, Aceman...Uhh... I mean, Larry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    hey, what's carbondale riding like? where's a good trailhead? I've heard about the area but never ridden it. I'm thinking of getting up there before the weather turns. Thanks for any tips.

Quote Originally Posted by wordfarmer
    hey, what's carbondale riding like? where's a good trailhead? I've heard about the area but never ridden it. I'm thinking of getting up there before the weather turns. Thanks for any tips.
    Lots of old coal lands! Ride at Merli Sarnoski park.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Proformance Cycle
    Lots of old coal lands! Ride at Merli Sarnoski park.
    Carbondale is an old Native American term for 'town with many of piles of black refuse left-over from long-abandoned coal mining"

Quote Originally Posted by XCoalMiner
    Carbondale is an old Native American term for 'town with many of piles of black refuse left-over from long-abandoned coal mining"
    Ah yes:

The town of Car--bond--o--lay! Remember to use soft compound tires. We don't want any mine fires starting up! LOL

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

koosier

My vote for an epic goes to koosier state park. Man that place i just one big rock garden.

Submit to your ride!
    Jan 2004
    If anyone wants to hookup for a ride Saturday 11/12, I'll be in the Seven Springs area...

Quote Originally Posted by northparkrider
    My vote for an epic goes to koosier state park. Man that place i just one big rock garden.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Only a few suggestions, not a list of 5...

Laurel Mountain (north of Laughlintown on Rt #30) near the closed ski area - I just read they aren't re-opening the on-again, off-again old ski area that used to be private and then state owned. 7 Springs now operates the place, or at least did last year and is trying to do so again next season. A few trails connect the ski area, but most of the riding (95%?) is in the state forest off of the ski area. Superb PA singletrack, wide varieties of trail but not wide trails. Abundant wildlife, easy to connect network of trails and a few overgrown fire roads. No access issues and pretty isolated excepting some summer weekends, but usually you see nobody. Laughlintown is the home of Speedgoat Bikes, and also a sugar-boosting place called The Pie Shoppe.

#33 (aka, The Crick Ride, Helix Creek, etc) - Forget the "real" name of this gem but it lies a few miles from the Donegal Exit going towards 7 Springs. Needs to be connected with other trails for a loop, but this sweet singletrack runs a few miles down a narrow hollow and helixes with a beautiful stream providing thirty-three stream crossings before beginning the long climb back out. Always was taken by a friend who knew the area much better than I so I can't help with specific directions, but I've seen the trail discussed on this forum before.

Blue Knob (State Park/Ski Area) - Lots of nice trails here but Lost Turkey Trail is 17 miles of challenging point-to-point singletrack. Check with the ranger station for a free map. The biggest secret in PA, IMHO.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Let's Ride...

Not that there is ever going to be consensus, but it looks like these are the ones that keep coming up (in no particular order). They represent a pretty good portion of the state and would make for an awesome week or so of riding if all strung together...

Rothrock
    Seven Springs/Larel Highlands
    Michaux
    American Standard
    Rattling Creek
    Merli
    Blue Marsh lake
    Wissahickon

And in case no one has noticed, go here and check out the sheer number of trails PA has as opposed to other states. PA kicks ass! http://trails.mtbr.com/helpcrx.aspx

Thanks for all the input.

mtbr member
    maybe to launch or get the state thing going we could have a "tour de dirt of PA" all take a week off and ride each day all together........

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    in no particular order-

Rim trail in JT
    Rattling Creek
    Bungalow Park trails in Tamaqua
    Hubcap trail near Locust Lake
    S. Mtn...the whole ridge

mtbr member
    no salisbury?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackamo
    no salisbury?
    I could only fit 5...this is a top-5 list, right ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    There is a very unknown probably with the exception of the people in the schuylkill county area......but to those that don't know there is an Enduro Race Every year on Memorial Day weekend, the trail system is about 100 miles long if you do it all, might include a little bit of road here and there buy not very much, but anyway the trails are upkept by the motorcycle club that runs the enduro race...........there is some very very very nice single and double track behind Mary-D, Brockton, Middleport, Kaska, New Philadelphia etc etc. Some of it is very demanding but it is excellent, unfortunately when I lived there I never had trail maps, but my brother and I grew up riding those trails, I recommend a GPS system if you go cold.

The easiest access is probably parking on the firetower road that links the Burma and the Brockton Mountian (Locust Lake Road)...........I think if you ask here, my brother tells me there is alot of bikers from Frackville and Pottsville that frequent this area they may even have a bike club or something, he isn't quite sure but he's been seing many new people riding the trails the past two years, where in the past it was usually just the a few of us that would bike it.

But anyway the stuff is nice, and I hope more people get the chance to discover this area, its just a ton of fun............

Mary -D is about 5 miles south on 209 from Tamaqua, and you can climb from there or like I said go over the Brockton Mountian (6 miles from Tamaqua then another 2 over the mountain to the fire tower road)

If ya Go Enjoy =)

P.S. I'm new to the forums here but I just read MBW is done......man thats not right.I wonder who or what was behind that development.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Viva La Merli Sarnoski!!
    Prompton is good also

GoCyco
    Nov 2005

my 2 cents

Can't believe Nescquehoning Ridge was not listed. Maybe it's just too knarly, or just unknown to the masses. Most of the trails were created by the same guy who cut American Standard (he's usually my guide there and there's always something new). Incredible riding. Very close to Jim Thorpe. Actually you can loop into Thorpe's trails if you have a day to kill.

Has anyone done the famous "3 Mountain Tour"? This is usually a group ride organized around Mountain Bike Weekend in Jim Thorpe/Broad Mtn (always on Father's Day). About 40 miles or so.

My votes (in no particular order) -
    ------------------------------------------------
    Rothrock SP (did a nice 2-day there in 05)
    05 Single Speed World Championship Course near State College (1st section is great)
    American Standard/Deerpath (Broad Mtn)
    Snappers/Summit View/Whipperwill/etc loop (Mtop)
    Nesquehoning Ridge Trail

I've never ridden Western PA. My apologizes.

Quote Originally Posted by aizu1
    Can't believe Nescquehoning Ridge was not listed. Maybe it's just too knarly, or just unknown to the masses. Most of the trails were created by the same guy who cut American Standard (he's usually my guide there and there's always something new). Incredible riding. Very close to Jim Thorpe. Actually you can loop into Thorpe's trails if you have a day to kill.

Has anyone done the famous "3 Mountain Tour"? This is usually a group ride organized around Mountain Bike Weekend in Jim Thorpe/Broad Mtn (always on Father's Day). About 40 miles or so.

05 Single Speed World Championship Course near State College (1st section is great)
    Nesquehoning Ridge Trail

I've never ridden Western PA. My apologizes.

Hey:

Do you have a map or a location I can park to ride Nescquehoning ridge? How do I find this ride? Does it go towards Tamaqua?
    Proformance Cycle
    [email protected]

mtbr member

I would like to check out Nescquehoning Ridge...

sometime. Let me know the next time your headed out that way. It sounds interesting. Good meeting you in person finally Sunday. Hopefully the snow will get a bit deeper for some skiing in the backwoods.

QUOTE=aizu1]Can't believe Nescquehoning Ridge was not listed. Maybe it's just too knarly, or just unknown to the masses. Most of the trails were created by the same guy who cut American Standard (he's usually my guide there and there's always something new). Incredible riding. Very close to Jim Thorpe. Actually you can loop into Thorpe's trails if you have a day to kill.

Nesquehoning Ridge Trail

I've never ridden Western PA. My apologizes.[/QUOTE]
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member

GPS maps

Quote Originally Posted by Proformance Cycle
    Hey:

Do you have a map or a location I can park to ride Nescquehoning ridge? How do I find this ride? Does it go towards Tamaqua?
    I am working on GPS maps of all of the Jim Thorpe area trails. I have a few already done. I have mapped Nes. Ridge two different ways, the first starts at the baseball feild in the JT "Heights" (where I live) and goes out to Nesquehoning on singletrack, then on the road a bit, then a super steep climb up the the ridge trail and back to the overlook on Pisgah and back down the Indian Path. The other way is out Switchback, up Lung Buster, through the strippings and onto the ridge trail. This way is a bit trickier because there are a lot of trails in the strippings. Personally the Nes. Ridge trail is one of my favorities, a mix of swoopy and rocky, plus it's too tight for quads to destroy. Email me at [email protected] and I send you a map within a couple days. All I ask is that for anyone who wants maps to sign up with our Trail Coalition to support access to JT's trails. Thanks.
    Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition
    http://jttrails.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    There is also some trails that you can go from across the street of the gamelands parking lot on 93 all the way over to the Tamaqua area up above hometown......I forget the name of it but we used to drive out these roads with our jeeps in high school, the road goes above hauto and out to hometown, might be worth a check on a MTB, its been years since I've been on em though.

Dare to be Great

Pittsburgh top 5

The problem with trails are that they are so far away from eachother. Here are 5 trails in Pittsburgh. From north to south only a half hour from eachother.

North Park ( technical /fast / dh's)
    Sewickley
    Bavington ( Fast / loops / cliff hangers)
    Boyce Park ( technical / tons of trails!)
    Duffs Park (you can skip that one)
    South Park. (heard it is sweet)

Any Arguments? Most of these trails are in the Famous MONTH OF MUD. google it.

Members who have read this thread: 0