TMBW Tamaqua Mt Bike Weekend- Mtbr.com
    ^ The Trail Starts Here ^

TMBW Tamaqua Mt Bike Weekend

I was told by the Giant bike rep the 2006 mt bike weekend will be in Tamaqua!!! We really have a chance to show a whole bunch of towns people "WHAT" Mt Biking is all about.

SUPPORT IT!!!!!!!

LC

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    That might be just the jumpstart Tamaqua needs to get up-and-running as a MTB-ing destination.

mtbr member
    i can't confirm it, but i heard that the deal went south. There doesn't seem to be a solid mtn bike group up there to get things going and those in the city or county may of dropped the ball. This is not confirmed so if anyone has any info that would be great.

3 yrs ago we tried to move it to paragon park but talks btwn the powers that be eroded after the offers started being made.

Maybe i should start a VMB north(tamaqua, jim thorpe, camelback)??????

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I don't believe the local folks that are in control of these things in Tamaqua and Schuylkill County are as astute at it as the folks who do the same thing in Jim Thorpe and Carbon County.

The Carbon County people have been at it (tourism, that is) for a while now, whether in the form of antique-shopping gray hairs, hunters, MTBers, 'white water' rafters, or second-home owning city-types. There was also the local MTB enthuasiasts that got it off the ground in JT years ago. Tamaqua doesn't have all that going for it, yet, ... but it could. A MTB advocacy group would help. I think the Tamaqua/Schuylkill County officials will need to figure out that doing this is good, in some way, for their local economy, even if just means weekenders spend money on convenience-store food and gas in the area.

mtbr member
    coal miner, lets set up an appt with the schuckhill(terrible sp) county contact b/c i know he was probably involved. What ya say????? I'll set up the appt.

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    Guys:

Is there anyone who knows the people who put on the mt. bike races? can we get those guys to help? What happened to Jama bikes?

LC

mtbr member
    jama shut down, many of the riders i think go to spokes and i know the owners and a couple of tamaqua riders. if anyone wants to take the lead i'd be more than happy to help out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Hackamo, I'll send you a lenghty PM in the next few days.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the group (or single person) who put on MTB weekend in JT. IMHO, it was rather lame. By that I mean I saw it as being run on a shoestring, and I'd question the sincerity of interest in actual MTB-ing of the organizer(s). Did anyone else see it that way?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What's up

I grew up in Coaldale-if you need any help with contacts or names- I might be able to help out. I am one of the guys that started Reading Racing-over the years we obtained many contacts in the industry. Any help or any ideas I would be glad to help out. Check out www.readingracing.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I spoke with Dave B, the orginizer of 20yrs of Jim Thorpe MBW at the close of this years event. He said it was hopefuly going to be in tamaqua in 06, he told me to watch the website for updates. Here is his last update from 9/24/05......dont look good for 06

Here is the link to the MBW site.....notice the jim thorpe is removed from the MBW logo

http://www.soeast.com/mtnbike.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 20th & Final
    Mountain Bike Weekend Festival in Jim Thorpe was held June 16-19

Many thanks to the nearly 1000 who attended. It was a memorable event, someone even called it "historic."

I got over 200 great photos from Liz Reap, the outdoor photographer I hired to document the occasion. You can review them by clicking here . If you see yourself or your group and want a hi-res version to make a nice print, you can get that, too.

There are also some photos from that hilarious airplane episode on the Beach, a perfect testament to a zany yet delightful 20 years,

After several years of actively working to find some place and someone to continue this great event, ALL leads are currently cold. I'm now taking the Zen approach. and waiting for the answer to find me. ...Dave Bucher

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members who have read this thread: 0