TM @ Core Creek- Mtbr.com

Thread: TM @ Core Creek

i want spring!

TM @ Core Creek

So it's FINALLY that time of year.
    I have noticed that in Jersey is starting there TM so why not get things started here at CC.

Is anyone interested? When would be good days, saturdays or sundays? I know TrekMike would be the head honcho (i'm electing you Mike! and sorry if i forgot anyone else) Maybe next weekend? Split the duties into 2 days, the saturday, do some pruning and sunday work on securing the bridge or clearing the down trees. Maybe we all can create a wish list for the park and the possible solutions and present it to the park people for approval. Is this the way things should get done & approved?

I know this a posting for CC but maybe some of you ride in jersey, since we are so close to each other. But I know for a fact that at Mercer County Park is having there TM, next Saturday, at I guess 8 am. If you plan on riding in Jersey this spring/summer I don't think it's a bad idea to give some TM where you ride. I'll be putting in some TM time at CC & Mercer, once I can walk and ride again. If you are interested in next weekend, saturday the 18th, just PM or write here and i'll give you the contact information for Mercer.

I hope everyone is well and ready for a good, fun riding season ahead of us!

take care,
    dirty bert
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I went to Core Creek today to scout it out a bit and see how it was and put together a map. to give list what I saw (based off Mark's map). I wasn't sure how wet it would be, but overall it wasn't too bad. I went from Duchess Lane to the "6 foot hill" area. Most of that was ok, but I had to walk the bike to avoid messing things up at times The "6 foot hill" area itself was really bad, with the boards used as ramps to the one bridge thrown over a big mud pit. The erosion up where we worked on it far better than it was before, but it's not holding up. From there I went back and up the ridge and to the access road to avoid all the areas I expected to be really muddy. The stream crossing that is near the corn fields was in terrible shape. Hard to pass even on foot.

I stayed on the access roads until hitting Mike's path which seemed to be staying around. The trail there got muddy enough not to want to ride it. I then got to the start of the loop (circled in blue on my map). I went in what would be considered the normal direction to me (clockwise on the map), and there were 2 spots with a little mud going to the highest point. On the way up the climb where there's an optional jump that you can go around someone had put in a real jump ramp made of wood. The location for those of you who can picture the log crossings in the area is right over top of what was a log that had about 70% of it cut out so that you could roll over/through a part of it and keep going. Now you are forced to take a detour around this going up the hill.

Going down the hill was fine until the bottom where it was muddy of course. Not too much to worry about in this area, but it was pretty rutted there and drying up somewhat. I then took the connector trail heading for the other loop. This part of the trail wasn't as bad as I expected in terms of muddyness, but I walked to avoid 2 or 3 spots. The largest of the 3 bridges in this area had some major issues at the one end and will need some attention soon. This is one of the most important 2 things in my opinion. The other major problem were 2 down trees about a foot apart on the hilly rooted connector that goes along the edge of the lake. Those may require more than just a few of people to clear. This makes the path unpassable without a dismount to anyone who works with the same laws of physics as me.

The loop past this was pretty muddy with one or two terrible spots. The best thing to do is avoid this all or to make a right at the fork that starts this loop climb the hill to where the rollover obstacle is then turn around and go back the way you came. From here I went up the ridge and followed it to the "6 foot hill," but instead took an alternate route to avoid the area.

The jump that was added, the bridge that is broken, two down trees, are the things that need the most immediate attention. The "6 foor hill" area and some places in the second loop I took would be the next on my list. Then just overall ruttedness and an overgrown bush or two. Hopefully someone can come up with some times to get some people together and get the most important of these fixed before too many people get onto the trails and run into them.
    Last edited by Chriffer; 03-10-2006 at 09:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice to see the interest brewing again! I have to work nights all weekend and may not be available. Too bad since the weather will be great. Plus I have a ton of things to do around the house. Is anyone headed out this weekend after Chriffer's review? Or for a ride?

D' bert, how is the patella?

i want spring!

Knee to!

Quote Originally Posted by trekmike
    Nice to see the interest brewing again! I have to work nights all weekend and may not be available. Too bad since the weather will be great. Plus I have a ton of things to do around the house. Is anyone headed out this weekend after Chriffer's review? Or for a ride?

D' bert, how is the patella?
    Still sore & swollen after 6 weeks. orthoscope & lateral release. I may be back riding by... gulp...May!!!! But you'll see me doing some TM in Mid April. Unfornately it isn't safe for me to do any TM right now, despite me making this post.

This weekend does look nice, i'll be outside washing my bike. That's the extent of it for now.

later,
    Db
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

TM at Core Creek

We rode Core Creek yesterday...the conditions, overall, were pretty good...not too muddy. There are definitely spots that need work though. We're up for some trail maintenance!

Here's a thought....how about we build a Whistler kind of boardwalk, from the top of the 6' hill right across the swampy area and the creek, turning slightly to the left to that little mound with the roots in it. We can get all of the supplies from Lowe's, it will be easy to build, usable by hikers, and fun to ride on. What do you think?

mtbr member
    Do you mean ramping the boardwalk down the six foot hill? That could be tricky from a design standpoint-- or maybe not. Where is Matt?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm in. The season is upon us. And I'm building a F/S bike for the new year. Picked up a slightly used Marin frame

mtbr member
    Holy smokes! It's Matt!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hey Mike!!!

My Marin came in today!!! It is a large, hope it is not too big. Only one way to find out. WIll be building this weekend at the shop

mtbr member
    Everyone needs to hook up for a spring ride and survey everything-- then set some priorities and make some plans. But we really need to get a ride in!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sunday Afternoons will be big for me, as soon as it warms up a bit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Core Creek

Hey guys...

Allison and I did a quick jaunt through Core Creek on Saturday before the rain. It was in pretty good shape. It looks like someone's been doing some TM there. Great job. The 6' hill is starting to erode away again, although it's still very ridable.

We also rode at Clayton (Imlaystown, NJ) yesterday. It was bone dry. They have a boardwalk that goes through a swampy section. That is exactly the kind of thing that I think we should build at Core Creek below the 6' hill, going through the swamp, across the creek and then through those trees.

Matt, care to give it a try?

When can we get together for a ride and to plan some TM? Mike? Matt? Anyone else? I'm sure I can round up some bodies again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Let's ride this weekend, sunday afternoon?

mtbr member
    Whoa baby! Someone wants to ride! Sunday may work for me. Let me check.

mtbr member

How did you make out with this?

Quote Originally Posted by mclark2112
    Hey Mike!!!

My Marin came in today!!! It is a large, hope it is not too big. Only one way to find out. WIll be building this weekend at the shop
    Did you get this set up to your satisfaction?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Sunday Riding

Allison and I would like to ride on Sunday. However, we have our kids, so it is unlikely that we'll be able to do it this weekend. Keep us in the loop on your plans, and if we can make it, we would love to join everyone! If we don't see you, have a blast!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trekmike
    Did you get this set up to your satisfaction?
    Had to order a couple parts, unless they are in by Wed. I expect to be on my regular steed

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    How about around 2:00 on Sunday? I may be able to get out on Sat afternoon as well, but that is iffy at this time.

mtbr member
    Matt, I'm aiming for 2:00. Meet @ Duchess Lane or somewhere else? I was in there yesterday (Fri). Everything looks real good! Dry as a bone.

Would you be interested in Pennypack by chance?

Where is WormAQ, Chriffer?
    Last edited by trekmike; 04-02-2006 at 08:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have been too busy riding to post. I wasn't around this weekend, but that's a good thing because I needed a break. There is a bush way in the back of the trails that I will be attacking. It has annoyed me one too many times and blocks most of the trail. The pallet deathtrap section and the down tree will require more than one person. We should consider what to do with the 6 foot hill area so we can run it by whoever we need to.

The upcoming weather doesn't look too nice, so this week may end up being the time for maintenance and not riding. Someone throw out a time and I'll try to be there.

mtbr member
    Matt & I looked things over on Sunday. We waited about 15-20 minutes for you & others to show. Overall, things look good as previoulsy reported by Steve. We thought the six-foot hill looked okay, so I'm not sure what you are referring to. We agreed that the top of the hill could use some more scraping to better sheet the water off.

And the death trap pallets-- boy you aren't kidding! Its an obvious target for raised boards. A quick fix would be throwing down some new pallets. Your are right, Chriffer, the tree down along the lake just above the boardwalk area that Steve fixed last October needs at least two guy's effort.

Also, there are some bridge repairs needed too. One near the boardwalk, and the other headed to the Bridgetown loop. Neither have to be major work though.

I'm on nights all weekend, so it can be hard for me to get over there for work. But... if others are interested I can show up a little afterwards. If next weekend is good for most, let me know and I will give the heads up to park officials.

Play it out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

This past weekend

Hey guys...

We wanted to come out and ride, but I was sick most of the weekend. Sinus infection, it really screwed me up, I was dizzy and my balance was off. That's not a particularly good thing for mountain biking, since my balance is questionable to start with. I'm bummed, because I missed a great day yesterday.

This coming weekend should be free for a lot of riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I was told we need to register with Pennypack to ride there, is this true? Same with Wissahicken now?

Sunday around 2:00 looks good for me, right now...

mtbr member
    Technically, yes, this is true. However, I have been going there for five years and have never been stopped or questioned. I believe it is true @ the Wiss also. I'm not even sure where to get the permit. The Nature Center perhaps, or the Fairmount Park Commission?

I go to Pennypack often. I really should get the permit.

Matt, that tree blocking the technical area just above the "boardwalk" has done been removed-- about an hour ago! A half hour with a bow saw did the trick.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You the man!!!!

You don't think your helmet gets you out of be questioned does it

mtbr member
    No, I don't think so! I have tape over it, remember. Can't read it passing everyone! Ha!

Members who have read this thread: 0