Time to step up, have your voice heard to stop sunday hunting in pennsylvania- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Time to step up, have your voice heard to stop sunday hunting in pennsylvania

I am a hunter in Pennsylvania. There is plenty of time to bag the 3-4 deer I put in my freezer every year along with the tasty flying animals.

Mountainbikers have been avoiding conflicts with hunting activities for years, staying out of hunting areas and utilizing Sundays as our day of freedom. This may be more difficult if Rep. John Evans (R-Erie), gets his way. As majority chair of the House Game and Fish Committee, he just filed the Sunday hunting bill, HB 1760.

The commission shall institute Sunday hunting and shall promulgate appropriate regulations under section 2102 (relating to regulations) within one year of the effective date of this section. Previous efforts were defeated because the majority spoke out (75% of Pennsylvanians do not hunt). That is as it should be - majority rules. Representatives listened to their constituents and (for example) Rep. Bruce Smith, an avid hunter, reported that 70% of his constituents did not want Sunday Hunting - and he followed their wishes. Mountainbikers (and birders, hikers and equestrians) must speak out if they do not want to lose Sundays for their recreation. It's a matter of fairness. While hunters claim “an economic boost” would result from Sunday hunting, they ignore the loss to the economy that would result from the loss of Sundays for the majority - the birders, equestrians, hikers and mountainbikers who now use Sundays for their recreation. Hunters claim that they need Sunday for hunting because of a "limited amount of time to hunt". Nonsense. EVERYONE has a “limited time” for our weekend activities - and Pennsylvania hunters are not without hunting opportunities; Pennsylvania is already first in the nation in the number of days afield hunting Speak out now. Find your representative at http://www.legis.state.pa.us/ and tell him or her to reject Sunday Hunting. One who speaks out is louder than 10,000 who remain silent.

mtbr member
    I like to ride just as much as the next guy. Having said that I enjoy hunting, and any increase in opportunities is a good thing. The sky will not fall, and the world won't end. The bill that is proposed will only give the PGC authority to implement hunting on Sundays, that does not mean there will be hunting on every Sunday.

mtbr member
    I will vote YES for Sunday hunting. I love biking and hunting too. There is room for both and places to ride that aren't open to hunting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I will oppose the bill. I don't think there's anything wrong with all hikers, bikers, etc. in the woods on one day without worrying about getting hurt.

mtbr member
    I contacted my rep already, one day a week not getting shot at is bad enough. Taking sundays away is stupid.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for the heads up I just e-mailed my Rep.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tanner44 View Post
    I will vote YES for Sunday hunting. I love biking and hunting too. There is room for both and places to ride that aren't open to hunting.
    Not everywhere in the state. Just because you may have places to ride that are off limits to hunting doesn't mean everyone else does too. In the winter, most of the rideable areas on my fatbike are state gamelands. One day a week is not too much to ask for.

*JUST RIDIN*
    I also just emailed, screw Sunday hunting, that's ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Here's a Facebook page if it will help anyone spread the word to their friends who do things other than mountain biking but still would be affected:

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=159010807501628

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Stopping Sunday hunting on private property is fine with me. However state gamelands exist so that people have a place to enjoy hunting, fishing and trapping. There is no reason they should not be able to enjoy their passion 7 days a week.

Did you ever have ham?
    I e-mailed my Representative and Senator in opposition to the Sunday Hunting Bill. I fully support a person's right to enjoy their given hobbies, but I feel that one day out of the week during hunting season is not too much to ask!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman465 View Post
    I e-mailed my Representative and Senator in opposition to the Sunday Hunting Bill. I fully support a person's right to enjoy their given hobbies, but I feel that one day out of the week during hunting season is not too much to ask!!!
    So how about one day out of the week when no bikers, hikers,etc can be in the woods disturbing the hunters? Is that not too much to ask?

I am not trying to start fight. Like I said before, I enjoy both biking and hunting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Great now I will never be able to wear my antler helmet. Hunt away just dont shoot me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Some people may not be aware but Sunday hunting is currently legal for certain animals. This has been a double standard that hunters have argued over for decades.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I am a hunter and a biker and enjoy both. During the peak hunting seasons I limit my riding to only Sundays out of respect for the other hunters. However if Sunday becomes a legal hunting day I will ride when I please, where I please, any day of the week, they will have given me no other choice. I will be sure to wear my orange and make plenty of noise, ding, ding, ding my bell will go...

That being said, Blue Marsh is open for hunting and I often ride there during legal hunting hours and have never had a problem. I figure if a hunter is lazy enough to set up that close to the multi-use trail he deserves a bit of disruption.

Sure there is Sunday hunting now, but how many people hunt crows and coyotes? Not many around here anyhow. You can also hunt coyotes at night which is way more productive.

I'm sure the Sunday hunting will eventually come to realization, due to the fact of declining hunters, they need to do something to help entice more hunters and keep what they have, same as crossbows in archery. It took awhile but it happened. It's all about numbers and dollars.

Either way I'll continue to do both and enjoy both on my own terms.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by tanner44 View Post
    So how about one day out of the week when no bikers, hikers,etc can be in the woods disturbing the hunters? Is that not too much to ask?

I am not trying to start fight. Like I said before, I enjoy both biking and hunting.
    Huh? It is already expressly illegal to ride a mountain bike SIX DAYS A WEEK from the last week of September to the third week of January, plus May, on over 1.4 million acres of designated PA State Game Lands.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i'll add my 2 cents, the problem i have is that hunters have all these millions of acres of gamelamd and thats fine they pay for it, but that is not enough for them they have to hunt everywhere state parks that allow it, state forests, all places we should be able to ride without fear of getting shot, hunters aren't restricted to gamelands mtb'rs shouldn't be restricted to practically no safe riding areas 5-6 months out of the year

mtbr member
    I am both a mt biker (avid, passionate) and hunter (archery).

This is my point of view, which some may no doubt find hilarious:

I disagree with Sunday hunting because of the ANIMALS. They should have one day per week where they are not under pressure and can feed and move. Like I said, people may find that crazy, but if you were being hunted you would appreciate a "day off" once per week.

Aside from that, I am not sure how I feel about it. Most seasons (small game, archery) are not really dangerous to other land users, IMO. And rifle season for deer is currently something like 2 weeks in early December, when there are very few other "users" of state lands. I don't believe bear season lasts long enough to include a Sunday. So, is 2 Sundays in December really a huge deal one way or the other? To me, no.

I suppose that bitching about it is the easy part, so I drafted a letter and sent it off to my representatives (even if it is a lost cause.) Seeing as we're all lazy, feel free to use as a template and send your own.

I completely agree with Slowdave. Opening Game Lands to Sunday hunting is not that big of a deal. After all, most of the Game Land trails that I know of are nonsanctioned mountain bike trails anyways. The problem I have is that it will allow 7 day/week hunting in State Forest and applicable State Parks.

PA Representatives Contact Info

RE: House Bill 1760, 2011 Session

Dear Assemblyman Masser,

As an avid hiker, mountain biker, and outdoor enthusiast, I believe in a balance of population control through hunting and trapping and the preservation of the natural beauty that surrounds us. One of the balances I believe that has worked so well is the split of hunting days versus non-hunting days during hunting season.

Data collected by the Pennsylvania Game Commission relative to current state census figures reveal that the vast majority of Pennsylvanians do not hunt. Recent surveys have also shown that an overwhelming majority Pennsylvania landowners oppose an expansion of hunting on Sundays. A bill to allow hunting on Sundays would cater to a minority of Pennsylvania residents, not the majority of the public who highly value the one day of the week that they can enjoy the outdoors during hunting seasons.

If anything, the need for the prohibition on Sunday hunting is as important as it has ever been. With the prevalence of Pennsylvania’s citizens interested in outdoor recreational opportunities in State Parks and State Forests, and the number of hunters decreasing so dramatically, it is patently unfair to deny Pennsylvania citizens access to areas where they may enjoy outdoor recreational activities one day a week.

Title 34 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes already expressly prohibits the use of over 1.4 million acres of public land, in the form of PA State Game Lands, to all mountain bikers and equestrians six days per week during open hunting seasons, September through January and the entire month of May. Amending Title 34 by way of H.B. 1760 would explicitly prohibit these user groups from recreating on these public lands five out of twelve months of the year, with violators subject to fines.

However, despite the fact that hunters enjoy over 1.4 million acres of public land dedicated to their recreation in the form of Game Lands, hunting is nonetheless also presently permitted in almost all Pennsylvania State Forest land as well as many Pennsylvania State Parks. Other outdoor enthusiasts already must restrict their enjoyment of these lands to only Sundays during hunting season, or risk their personal safety. Permitting Sunday hunting in Pennsylvania State Forests and Pennsylvania State Parks would effectively prohibit these user groups from safely recreating on these public lands five out of twelve months of the year. At the very minimum, I would urge you to consider an amendment to House Bill 1760 that would continue to prohibit Sunday hunting in all Pennsylvania State Parks and State Forests.

Sunday hunting would take away the one day dedicated to non-hunting recreationists. It seems only fair that given their overwhelming majority of the state’s population, equestrians, hikers, mountain bikers, and other nature lovers deserve one day per week to enjoy Pennsylvania’s rich natural resources in relative quiet without fear for their safety.

There is no compelling reason to appease a small minority of Pennsylvania residents by expanding Sunday hunting, and I strongly urge you to oppose House Bill 1760, amending Title 34 (Game) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes, permitting hunting on Sunday. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Respectfully submitted,

XXXXXXXX
    Danville, PA

Did you ever have ham?
    Wow! Very, very well written...thank you!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    beautiful jonz

Thanks fellas.

I received a swift reply from the office of my district representative, a freshman Republican who campaigned as an avid sportsman (that'd be a hunter, not a mt biker) and who coincidentally serves on the State Committee of Game & Fisheries. Sounds like a waste of time, right?....Nope. I was advised that the assemblyman is still undecided, but leaning toward supporting the continuance of the present Sunday hunting prohibitions. I was also advised that a number of public forums are planned for later this summer.

I was also reminded that present law permits the hunting of pheasants, partridge, foxes(sic), crows, and coyotes on Sunday. Who the hell goes out hunting for crows????

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    sent opposition letter to my Rep. well written Jonz.

ganginwood
    thanks for the template. those using the letter might want to add something about skiing since that is legal on gamelands and would be taking place during a well attended and popular time to be in the woods for hunters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

ganginwood
    I was just speaking to the commissioner of the PGC.....having 43 other states in the country that allow hunting on Sunday's isn't going to help the cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Very well written letter Jonz!! I am an avid hunter myself, and somewhat new to mountain biking. I do not support sunday hunting for the fear that private land owners would post there land to all activities if sunday hunting were allowed.

Just out of queriousity? How many mountain bikers have been shot or killed by a hunter? I think some people are looking at this a little to deeply. I believe there is enough room for everyone to play in this states vast wilderness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by melsdad View Post
    Just out of queriousity? How many mountain bikers have been shot or killed by a hunter? I think some people are looking at this a little to deeply. I believe there is enough room for everyone to play in this states vast wilderness.

How many other hunters have been shot or killed by a hunter? Lots, from what I've read. Not many mountain bikers have been shot because most mountain bikers avoid the woods during hunting season.

Being in the woods (biking, cross country skiing, or hiking) and thinking there might be even a SLIGHT chance of getting shot really saps the enjoyment out of it.

By the way, SUPERB job, Jonz!!! Although I thought this forum was for just complaining about stuff and not doing anything about it.......

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I also sent a letter (slightly modified Jonz) and was surprised at the reply from my Senator.

Thank you for contacting my office concerning Sunday hunting. I appreciate your interest in these matters and I share your concerns.

As you know, legislation to permit hunting on Sundays is under review in the House Game and Fisheries Committee. In the past, similar bills have failed to garner significant support in the House and Senate. Subsequently, they were not approved and the same issues which you identified should continue to block this legislation.

Once again, I appreciate hearing from you on this important matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have additional questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

DAVID G. ARGALL

State Senator
    Mike

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Politics, politics, here we go!

Next we will have political signs all over the trails!

Only kidding nice work and effort. I will also send a letter if I can find my crayon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Time to step up, have your voice heard to stop sunday hunting in pennsylvania-002301c80e66%249ed40fd0%240500000a.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    [QUOTE=WindWalker;8205553]I am a hunter and a biker and enjoy both. During the peak hunting seasons I limit my riding to only Sundays out of respect for the other hunters. However if Sunday becomes a legal hunting day I will ride when I please, where I please, any day of the week, they will have given me no other choice. I will be sure to wear my orange and make plenty of noise, ding, ding, ding my bell will go...
    QUOTE]

I have to agree with this statement right here. I'm not a hunter, but out of respect to hunters I limit my riding to night rides and Sundays when hunters aren't in the woods. If we no longer have a hunting free Sundays I'll be out with my orange on whenever I have a chance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    **** bells, I'm remounting an old water bottle holder, and in that holder shall reside one of these

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    **** bells, I'm remounting an old water bottle holder, and in that holder shall reside one of these

Nice, that way every hunter will know where to shoot after they hear the horn... LMAO

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    I suppose that bitching about it is the easy part, so I drafted a letter and sent it off to my representatives (even if it is a lost cause.) Seeing as we're all lazy, feel free to use as a template and send your own.

I completely agree with Slowdave. Opening Game Lands to Sunday hunting is not that big of a deal. After all, most of the Game Land trails that I know of are nonsanctioned mountain bike trails anyways. The problem I have is that it will allow 7 day/week hunting in State Forest and applicable State Parks.

PA Representatives Contact Info

RE: House Bill 1760, 2011 Session

Dear Assemblyman Masser,

As an avid hiker, mountain biker, and outdoor enthusiast, I believe in a balance of population control through hunting and trapping and the preservation of the natural beauty that surrounds us. One of the balances I believe that has worked so well is the split of hunting days versus non-hunting days during hunting season.

Data collected by the Pennsylvania Game Commission relative to current state census figures reveal that the vast majority of Pennsylvanians do not hunt. Recent surveys have also shown that an overwhelming majority Pennsylvania landowners oppose an expansion of hunting on Sundays. A bill to allow hunting on Sundays would cater to a minority of Pennsylvania residents, not the majority of the public who highly value the one day of the week that they can enjoy the outdoors during hunting seasons.

If anything, the need for the prohibition on Sunday hunting is as important as it has ever been. With the prevalence of Pennsylvania’s citizens interested in outdoor recreational opportunities in State Parks and State Forests, and the number of hunters decreasing so dramatically, it is patently unfair to deny Pennsylvania citizens access to areas where they may enjoy outdoor recreational activities one day a week.

Title 34 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes already expressly prohibits the use of over 1.4 million acres of public land, in the form of PA State Game Lands, to all mountain bikers and equestrians six days per week during open hunting seasons, September through January and the entire month of May. Amending Title 34 by way of H.B. 1760 would explicitly prohibit these user groups from recreating on these public lands five out of twelve months of the year, with violators subject to fines.

However, despite the fact that hunters enjoy over 1.4 million acres of public land dedicated to their recreation in the form of Game Lands, hunting is nonetheless also presently permitted in almost all Pennsylvania State Forest land as well as many Pennsylvania State Parks. Other outdoor enthusiasts already must restrict their enjoyment of these lands to only Sundays during hunting season, or risk their personal safety. Permitting Sunday hunting in Pennsylvania State Forests and Pennsylvania State Parks would effectively prohibit these user groups from safely recreating on these public lands five out of twelve months of the year. At the very minimum, I would urge you to consider an amendment to House Bill 1760 that would continue to prohibit Sunday hunting in all Pennsylvania State Parks and State Forests.

Sunday hunting would take away the one day dedicated to non-hunting recreationists. It seems only fair that given their overwhelming majority of the state’s population, equestrians, hikers, mountain bikers, and other nature lovers deserve one day per week to enjoy Pennsylvania’s rich natural resources in relative quiet without fear for their safety.

There is no compelling reason to appease a small minority of Pennsylvania residents by expanding Sunday hunting, and I strongly urge you to oppose House Bill 1760, amending Title 34 (Game) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes, permitting hunting on Sunday. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Respectfully submitted,

XXXXXXXX
    Danville, PA
    Very nice and well thought out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Jonz, thanks for taking the time to post that template. Sent an email to my senator and representative.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I received an email back from my local representative stating he opposes the bill. Good news. I was surprised to hear from avid hunters at work that are not in favor of it also.

Some people apparently around here with private land are against it and will not let hunters on their property for Sunday hunting if approved.