Three Rivers Heritage Trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Three Rivers Heritage Trail

Hey guys,

I'm going to be in Pittsburgh for work in a couple weeks and would like to do some riding. Unfortunately I'm going to be tied up with my work stuff until about 5pm and with daylight savings kicking in I won't have any daylight to hit up actual trails. I was thinking about bringing my road bike and riding the three rivers trail instead. I'll be staying near PPG Arena, so I'm hoping I can hop the trail somewhere close by to there.

I know Pittsburgh is pretty safe, but that all cities have bad parts. Will I be ok hitting the trail up in the evening (6ish)? Are there areas of the trail I should avoid?

Any advice would be appreciated; like if there are good breweries to stop along the way for dinner and a drink.

Wishing it was a month or so earlier to ride some mtn trails, but trying to deal with what I have.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    No one has any input on trail safety at night? Leaving sunday and am hoping to take a bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    coming from philly and having been to pittsburgh a few times it is a great city and seemed damn safe a few years ago when i last visited. dunno where your coming from but i'd have no trouble riding there alone at night.

check in with these guys: PORC Pittsburgh Mountain Biking, Western Pennsylvania Mountain Biking

ask around; maybe see if you can hop in on a night ride or two. decent riding in town at frick park. if i wasn't so happy in philly; i'd consider moving. great vibe there!

Hermit
    Don't know, but you might ask on the bicycling412 subReddit.

https://old.reddit.com/r/bicycling412/

Good luck.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I wouldn't be worried about riding the trail at night, it's generally safe. There are occasionally break-ins to cars parked at the trail heads, but if you are riding from your hotel no worries there. I have ridden many sections of it at night before, but not in the past year or so. You will still need to bring lights as many sections of the trail do not have street lights.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks everyone. Night trail ride would be fun; I'll have to look into PORC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    So I took the road bike and put on about 40 miles over 3 nights. I did 2 rides around the city and felt safe pretty much everywhere. Only place I wasn't liking was the trail along the track past the Steelers/Panthers training facility. It was dark and no one was around there. I also did a trail by Helicon brewing; the brewery made for a great after ride stop. Even though I was alone, it was a good time riding around and checking out the city.