They're bulldozing my trails in Mt Top!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

They're bulldozing my trails in Mt Top!!

I was riding the Church Rd singletrack today and came upon some heavy machinery tracks along a fire road up there. Then I found a large area where the singletrack was just wiped out and multiple trees had been cut down. Overall, there is still plenty of singletrack at this point but is not a good sight. I'm not certain how close the clearing will be to Church Rd as I rode out and back from the other side (Birk St, if you know it.)
    It would really kill my biking ability if they start building a lot in there, as it is so close to my home, I can ride there in 5 minutes, very convenient, I try to ride there 3 times a week or so, I know others are up there also (I've seen their tracks).

Anyone know what the plans are for building up there?
    I might need to leave my backyard and investigate Rollercoaster Say Whut?

Cat Herder
    It's funny you say that, I was on my way here to post about some bulldozing at Jacobsburg that just appeared this year. It's definitely a bummer when it happens.
    It's never too late to re-invent the bicycle

mtbr member
    Wow, that's a shame. I'm curious as to what's going on there also. As for Rollercoaster and the surrounding trails.......they've just begun logging over there so it's only a matter of time before they make a mess of the whole area. We're expecting the worst and are prepared to rebuild when they are done - and are riding the crap out of them while we still can.

In the Church Rd. area, are there blue dots on all of the big trees? Hopefully it's just logging and not development. I haven't been over that way in a few weeks.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

No good

Prolly just another Walmart going in

But, at least then you can then get bike stuff by your house

ganginwood
    they marked a line in there for timber last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Email from Alain:

Riders,

I rode from Bear Claw parking lot in MTP yesterday afternoon. There is new logging activity covering quite a large area. Please keep this in mind when selecting trails to avoid disappointment.

I believe logging activity probably started Monday this week. The following trails are affected. There may be more by now.

- Trail access from the end of Bear Claw is now limited. Tote road ('dirt' road that goes along the bottom of the ridge line) is being travelled by heavy equipment. As of yesterday afternoon, heavy equipment signature goes up to the rock bridge we built a few years ago.
    - The steep descent to Tote road (coming off the ridge from the intersection of Brush Wolf and Farm Road is nearly gone. In the steepest sections, a new road was built with heavy equipment to permit equipment access. I didn't think that would have been possible, but there is a 3 foot 'off camber' cut in the side of hill right where the trail used to be.
    - I saw tree cutting activity near the pipe line right of way at the Wild Turkey and Brush Wolf trail heads. I believe we can presume that by now, there is tree cutting activity along each side of Farm Road.
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 04-14-2009 at 11:10 AM.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here. Interesting...

...Is there a plan for reconstruction of trails?

mtbr member

Trail Destruction...

Rode "Lower Earth" area tonight.....Farm road is a mess...Brush Wolf is trashed...in need of major work once the logging is finished....stuff on the other side of the pipeline is fine.....not as bad as alaska clear cutting but it sure looks like it is done with absolutely no care for the terrain or wildlife....
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Rode in from Church Rd parking lot yesterday to check out the carnage. What a mess! Does anyone have any updates on this? Are they finished logging?

mtbr member

Not sure if there finished.....

but....Brush Wolf and Off Camber Climb are back in business....thanks to those who got out to chainsaw the tops and clear the trails.....also Wild Turkey...can be used to access 380 from Farm Road. Lots of work to still be done....come on out and ride...but please help by picking up some stuff along the way....ride on!

mtbr member

Update...

Wild Turkey has now been restored completely as of today. Great access to 380 as well as Brush Wolf using Wild Turkey. Wild Turkey follows the exact same path save for 100 feet or so....but it will be a totally different ride due to so many trees missing.

So....BearClaw, OffCamber Climb, Brush Wolf, and Wild Turkey are restored.....only Dumb [email protected]# Downhill and Witness need to be completed.

Members who have read this thread: 0