Tamaqua- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tamaqua

mtbr member

Tamaqua

2 years ago while at Mountain Bike weekend a friend directed me to the trails in Tamaqua and every year since I've been back. This year I brought my Fiancee to Mountain Bike weekend and while there I again went to Tamaqua. Ever since we rode there she has always said how she wanted to go back so this weekend we did.

Here's a pic of me and the second pic is of her.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Tamaqua may become the new Jim Thorpe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XCoalMiner
    Tamaqua may become the new Jim Thorpe.

Why do you say that?

There is really only one trail in Tamaqua correct?

Any word on where MBW will be next year? I took a drive around Locus Lake to check out the campgrounds...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Only half-kidding. There are several trails on the hills around Tamaqua.

A lot of it is make your own way, old mine roads combined with single track. But the real reason I said it is that the Tamaqua area was, a year or two ago, going to encourage MTBing, just for the visits and out-of-town people spending a few dollars on local businesses effect. But, I haven't read any follow up on that. All in all, I think they (the town fathers) do not discourage MTBing, and if they coud get their hands on some grant money they'd promote it some, such as start a PR effort, make up some maps, etc.

P.S: I don't know how they were planning to handle it, but many of the old mine roads are not public property, ... but from all the other people who use them (from ATVers to dog-walkers), you'd think it was public property.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XCoalMiner
    Only half-kidding. There are several trails on the hills around Tamaqua.

A lot of it is make your own way, old mine roads combined with single track. But the real reason I said it is that the Tamaqua area was, a year or two ago, going to encourage MTBing, just for the visits and out-of-town people spending a few dollars on local businesses effect. But, I haven't read any follow up on that. All in all, I think they (the town fathers) do not discourage MTBing, and if they coud get their hands on some grant money they'd promote it some, such as start a PR effort, make up some maps, etc.

P.S: I don't know how they were planning to handle it, but many of the old mine roads are not public property, ... but from all the other people who use them (from ATVers to dog-walkers), you'd think it was public property.

Yeah at the top of the hill by the swimming pool there is a baseball field with a bunch of posted signs around it. It didn't seem like it was a public baseball field... weird...
    We were worried if we were allowed to ride there or not...
    I hadn't seen the signs on previous trips.

They turned me loose
    Tamaqua IS a great ride!

Respect Your Trails
    Is Tamaqua worth the drive from Philly? I've never been there before. If it is just one trail, is it more of a local after work sweet ride.......or can a saturday be made of it?

mtbr member
    VMB is currently working on gps's the current trails and getting permission to use the land to the north of bungalow park. I have also met with the recreation dept to embrace the trail systems more. Look for next spring to see trail layouts. As it stands right now it's tought to find your way around if you don't know it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackamo
    VMB is currently working on gps's the current trails and getting permission to use the land to the north of bungalow park. I have also met with the recreation dept to embrace the trail systems more. Look for next spring to see trail layouts. As it stands right now it's tought to find your way around if you don't know it.

It is hard to find your way around however as I'm sure you are aware the trees are well marked so just following the path with the oranger markers is easy.

I'm not sure what would be considered worth the trip from PHilly. I enjoy it there... you can always do some of the trails in Jim Thorpe after if you're bored.

mtbr member

Tamaqua Bungalow ... sweet !

I am from the Tamaqua area and try to get in a ride at the Bungalow trail every weekend. The place is definitely a cool ride. Although dirtbikes are ruining alot of the the nice single-track by widening much of it as well as turning up more rocks and getting parts too eroded, it still is one of my favorite places to get in a great hour of smiles and workout. Ya could try to ride it the opposite way too and get a couple hours in. It usually takes me about an hour one loop. The trails can get quite confusing especially if the dirtbike fools sorta change the layout for their use but I have tried to keep orange/pink banner tape updated to mark the appropriate paths that will take about 7 miles and an hour of time for one loop. There are a few off-shoots that loop in and around but I ride a main loop and it is fun. It has been very dry, so there are no mud holes like there was awhile ago. A start point is up at the ball field. There is a cut in the woods thru the gate toward the field on the right, some orange'pink tape should be there to help see it. Don't worry about the Trespassing signs, they were put there to keep people out of that parking lot and off the baseball field. If ya follow the appropriate trail it will eventually bring you out down at the pool. Excellent fun and a decent workout. I'd love to show anyone around. Give me a yell. A matter of fact, I have plans on going for a spin Saturday morning. Then after that, I usually head for a spin down the road. About 15-20 minutes away is an excellent ride in Weisport (Lehighton) at the Towpath Canal. It is a mix of great singletrack and 2 lane towpath that takes you in to Jim Thorpe and then back. It is around an hour and about 10 miles of fun, fun, fun. Some of us have been improving that trail and it is wortha try. I am sure you would go back. Enter behind the job johnny and just keep looking for pink banner tape to lead the way. There are other parts that are rideable that have been added lately but are not marked yet. I'd love to show anyone that as well. Well, that got me all stoked now ! Gotta run. Send me an e-mail and I'll show ya around. You won't be disappointed.

Barry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwargula
    I am from the Tamaqua area and try to get in a ride at the Bungalow trail every weekend. The place is definitely a cool ride. Although dirtbikes are ruining alot of the the nice single-track by widening much of it as well as turning up more rocks and getting parts too eroded, it still is one of my favorite places to get in a great hour of smiles and workout. Ya could try to ride it the opposite way too and get a couple hours in. It usually takes me about an hour one loop. The trails can get quite confusing especially if the dirtbike fools sorta change the layout for their use but I have tried to keep orange/pink banner tape updated to mark the appropriate paths that will take about 7 miles and an hour of time for one loop. There are a few off-shoots that loop in and around but I ride a main loop and it is fun. It has been very dry, so there are no mud holes like there was awhile ago. A start point is up at the ball field. There is a cut in the woods thru the gate toward the field on the right, some orange'pink tape should be there to help see it. Don't worry about the Trespassing signs, they were put there to keep people out of that parking lot and off the baseball field. If ya follow the appropriate trail it will eventually bring you out down at the pool. Excellent fun and a decent workout. I'd love to show anyone around. Give me a yell. A matter of fact, I have plans on going for a spin Saturday morning. Then after that, I usually head for a spin down the road. About 15-20 minutes away is an excellent ride in Weisport (Lehighton) at the Towpath Canal. It is a mix of great singletrack and 2 lane towpath that takes you in to Jim Thorpe and then back. It is around an hour and about 10 miles of fun, fun, fun. Some of us have been improving that trail and it is wortha try. I am sure you would go back. Enter behind the job johnny and just keep looking for pink banner tape to lead the way. There are other parts that are rideable that have been added lately but are not marked yet. I'd love to show anyone that as well. Well, that got me all stoked now ! Gotta run. Send me an e-mail and I'll show ya around. You won't be disappointed.

Barry

Is there anywhere to ride around Locust Lake State Park?

mtbr member

Locust Lake

Apparently peolpe have gone and ridden there. I was over there by myself and really did not find a whole lot other than following the power lines , as well as a "hiking" trail around the park that apparently is labeled as off-limits to mountain bikers. I'd too like to know if there is a specific single track that people ride over there and if it is worthy.

Info ? Directions ? Specifics ? Anybody ? Bueller ?

Barry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwargula
    Apparently peolpe have gone and ridden there. I was over there by myself and really did not find a whole lot other than following the power lines , as well as a "hiking" trail around the park that apparently is labeled as off-limits to mountain bikers. I'd too like to know if there is a specific single track that people ride over there and if it is worthy.

Info ? Directions ? Specifics ? Anybody ? Bueller ?

Barry

I can tell you this, I used to fish there as a little boy and know nothing about mtn biking in the area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hey

I grew-up in Coaldale. the single track in this area is great. you can ride from town to town on single track. you can ride from tamaqua all the way to thorpe with only crossing a few paved roads. sweet. tamaqua has some of the best trails. I personally like tamaqua,coaldale,nesgie,summit hill areas better than thorpe trails they are more tech

later

check out the duryea dh race OCT 1 & 2 in Reading PA

mtbr member
    i can show you around when we do our club epic rides. we meander around the resevoirs up by the firetower and hit our infamous hubcap trail.

mtbr member
    Hi Hackamo, Were is Hubcap Trail I am familiar with the area. I noticed that there was someone else talking about that today, and a camping visit to Locast Lake. I was wandering if you could let me know were about that trail starts and if it is a loop. Also did you ever get the maps for the Bungalow.
    Big Man on a Little Bike

mtbr member
    We enter in by the 3 point intersection by the firetower. You head to the most left (real nice wording) trail and that eventually winds you out to the powerline which is where we start. Let me know maybe we can hook up for a ride.

mtbr member

Thanks Hackamo

Thanks for the info, I would love to go out riding, my goal is to try a couple of these trails so as to not hold anyone up if I do go riding. I haven't been riding long, but I do ride a stationary bike every morning just to try to get my endurance up. But by all means if you are going to be in the area I would love to give it a go. Do you have any stats on this hubcap trail such as how long I have a web site for aerial views I am pretty sure I have a good idea where you are starting. Here is the link for the aerial views of all of schuylkill county.
    Last edited by jminrod; 06-07-2006 at 05:28 AM.
    Big Man on a Little Bike

mtbr member
    I'm going to be camping up there this weekend and plan on doing some early morning exploring if any bodys up - I need to get back to the wifey and kids aroound 9-9:30 for some family fun. I usually ride the fire roads from the campground up to the fire tower and noodle around the singletrack from there - down to Silver Creek reservoir etc. - it also connect to the Burma Road power lines and it seems like there alot of trails back there - mostly "enduro" type stuff, some rocks. One of the cool things about up there is the geology seems to drian real well and it ALWAYS rains when I camp. Call if you want o hook up 610-972-4327 http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepag...latlontype=DMS
    without hops the world stops

Shrinking Clyde Rider :-)
    How do I go about getting to the Bungalow trail? I am coming from Hazleton. I am looking for a decent trail ride tomorrow (6/15/06) around 5:30pm. I will be riding with two other friends and one is trying out a new (new to him) bike. How is the terrain? Any directions would be greatly appreciated or if someone wants to show us the way that would be even better.

Thanks
    Tom
    Last edited by tturbotom; 06-14-2006 at 07:08 PM.

mtbr member
    If you take 81 south to 309 south ( or just 309 south) into the center of Tamaqua. then take a right onto 209 South. This will be Broad Street. Follow 209S/Broad Street to the end of town, 209 will take a left at the end of town you will want to stay straight towards Good Fellows Cemetary, It looks like a dead end or as if it is just a stone wall, the road will make a right turn, make the right and stay to the left. There will be a pool on your left, follow this road to the end it will lead you to a baseball field. To the best of my knowledge the trail starts on the right side of the baseball field fence. After that hopefully someone can help you from there as far as the terrain. Hope it helps
    Big Man on a Little Bike

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    Hey:

If you ride to the right of the BB Field you will find a big old mining ditch in the middle of the ride. You pretty much have to follow this monster till the end. If you ride out the other way you can gain access to the top of the mountain where the overlook view is.There is a power line up there that follows the mountain

Hard to explain from here, enjoy the riding

LC
    Proformance Cycle
    [email protected]

MONSTER as in a tough ride? My friend isn't up for a tough ride. He is still somewhat new to the sport and this is his 2nd or 3rd time out this year.

Tom;

Remember we taked about the trails to Mary D. That is the same mountain. You can vary the miles as much as you want at Tamaqua. I'm off this weekend if you wanna do some rides anywhere. You should come up to the valley I can show you around!

Use this link to find anything!

http://www.flashearth.com/

Lee
    Proformance Cycle
    [email protected]

Proformance Cycle
    [email protected]

So I went out to the Bungalow trails today with only one of my friends, the other had work issues. The trails were great We started out at the BB feild and headed west on a series on single and double track trails. We came to a huge clearing and continued on the main trail. We came upon two red roofed buildings. From there we continued west for another two miles or so. Then headed down to the rail trail that parallels rt209. At this piont we worked our way back to Tamaqua.

I want to go back and check out the trails that we didn't take. It seemed like an endless possibilites of trail routes. I like the homemade bridge type thingies that were in the woods. I didn't have the nerve to try them. Maybe next time. Thanks for the directions, this is deffinatley a trail I will continue to explore.