Susquehannock Campground + Allegrippis Trails- Mtbr.com
    Muskoka

Susquehannock Campground + Allegrippis Trails

My wife & I are thinking of visiting the Allegrippis Trails in late July this year for a few days, coming from central Ontario. We have lots of tent camping gear so are looking at campgrounds first although I'm not ruling out a hotel/motel either. I see the campground in the title is very close to the trails and seems very tent friendly ( ie small sites). I hate tenting in campgrounds where I'm surrounded by big-ass RVs.
    Can anyone local or who has stayed here give me a heads-up if they would recommend this campground or point me to one that they think is better?
    Thanks,
    ~BCD
    ps: if anyone can recommend a motel/hotel/B&B then please do
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 04-29-2012 at 07:11 PM.
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Susquehannock is the correct place to camp. Highly recommending if you enjoy tenting and stuff like that It's a primitive campground with showers available at the 7 Points Camp nearby. It's a good idea to get a reservation in advance as the place gain popularity with those sweet tracks.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Susquehannock is a nice primitive campground (no electric, no potable water and of course no showers although you can use the showers at 7 points) so you need to be prepared.

Another option is Woodlands Camping Resort. The trails are right there and they have decent cabins to rent if you don't feel like sleeping on the ground.

Muskoka
    Thanks for the help. One more question, how is this area for ticks? We don't have them up here so I know nothing about them except they can carry Lyme's disease which is nasty if not treated promptly. Should I worry about this or is the risk of getting this overblown?

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I don't really worry about ticks- I mean, yes, I worry, and use tick spray when it gets into tick season, but in 3 years I've only gotten 3 ticks, and none of them were the Lyme disease carrying ones. I should also point out that I've never gotten them at Allegrippis in the 6 times I've been there.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I don't really worry about ticks- I mean, yes, I worry, and use tick spray when it gets into tick season, but in 3 years I've only gotten 3 ticks, and none of them were the Lyme disease carrying ones. I should also point out that I've never gotten them at Allegrippis in the 6 times I've been there.
    Thanks, just as I thought. BTW, where do you prefer to stay when visiting Allegripis?

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    FYI, there's a separate thread in this the PA forum about ticks this season: Lots of ticks

And a newspaper article that has been making the rounds on local bike forums, the description and advice near the bottom on how long it takes for Lyme disease bacterium to be transmitted, 36 hours, is accurate: Lyme disease is on the rise in Pennsylvania and New Jersey | lehighvalleylive.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    Thanks, just as I thought. BTW, where do you prefer to stay when visiting Allegripis?
    I actually have stayed in some motel in Huntingdon, except for one time when we got a swanky house up the road from the trails for my bachelor party.

And yes, ticks are supposed to be more numerous than years past.

I wear a chamois, so they really can't get up past my thighs, so I just sort of make it a point to scan my legs and arms every now and again when we stop to rest. They're easy enough to spot, at least the adults are.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    Susquehannock is a nice primitive campground (no electric, no potable water and of course no showers although you can use the showers at 7 points) so you need to be prepared.

Another option is Woodlands Camping Resort. The trails are right there and they have decent cabins to rent if you don't feel like sleeping on the ground.
    How is 7 Points in comparison to Susquehannock. Obviously not primitive and probably busier/noisier but any preference/comments?
    I'm thinking Susquehannock and getting possibly a waterfront site but with parking at the site... while tenting I keep a lot of stuff in the car and don't want to be walking to & fro constantly. Also I hope to leave the car/tent etc set up at the campsite for the duration and access the trails from the campground.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    one more thing you will want to be concerned with if staying at Susquehannock is the poison Ivy...its everywhere!
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by jkad View Post
    one more thing you will want to be concerned with if staying at Susquehannock is the poison Ivy...its everywhere!
    Thanks...good to know

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    Their website states their is a handpump source of drinking water. Hope this is true, I can do without electric or showers close by, but not without potable water!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here is my rec.
    Home Page
    At least once a year, if not twice a year, my friends and I meet up here. Your close to the trails (maybe 15 mins), the place is cheap and best of all you're close to some pretty cool places. Check out Boxer's Cafe in town (5 mins), the outfitter store and best of all, when you wake up, there is a really good Mom and Pop place to get some breakfast right across the street.
    I love to camp, always have but if I wanna have a good time ridding this makes it a lot easier.
    Have a great time either way!

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by 94M400 View Post
    Here is my rec.
    Home Page
    At least once a year, if not twice a year, my friends and I meet up here. Your close to the trails (maybe 15 mins), the place is cheap and best of all you're close to some pretty cool places. Check out Boxer's Cafe in town (5 mins), the outfitter store and best of all, when you wake up, there is a really good Mom and Pop place to get some breakfast right across the street.
    I love to camp, always have but if I wanna have a good time ridding this makes it a lot easier.
    Have a great time either way!
    Good tip, thanks! I have been watching some POV vids of these trails and really looking forward to riding these rollercoasters! Also looking at the Allegrippis webpage I see fatbike pics and as a Pugsley owner that gives me a good vibe . Pugs won't make this trip though, I think my RM Altitude will be way more fun here! BTW, looked at the website for trail access fees and didn't see anything; what is the fee to ride Allegrippis?

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Chilling out
    No fee to ride Allegrippis.

FYI, me and the mrs will be spending the 1st weekend of August out there, rv-camping at Seqouia in 7-points Fri/Sat night, riding Rothrock on Sat 8/4 and Raystown on Sun 8/5.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    No fee to ride Allegrippis.
    Nice!!... thanks!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    It's always a great time camping at riding at Raystown. We have not camped at Susquehannock. We always go to 7 points (Senoia mainly) because of the amenities. Lots of water pumps available. There is nothing like a shower at the end of a long ride. You can also ride to the beach from there. You can ride to the new trail head at the Visitors Center. I recommend the trails on the Susquehannock side. The campsites have lots of room and some privacy. The only time we picked up ticks was after a ride, we decided to hike down the Old Loggers Trail.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by nosilla View Post
    It's always a great time camping at riding at Raystown. We have not camped at Susquehannock. We always go to 7 points (Senoia mainly) because of the amenities. Lots of water pumps available. There is nothing like a shower at the end of a long ride. You can also ride to the beach from there. You can ride to the new trail head at the Visitors Center. I recommend the trails on the Susquehannock side. The campsites have lots of room and some privacy. The only time we picked up ticks was after a ride, we decided to hike down the Old Loggers Trail.
    Thanks! Any area of this campground that you would recommend for someone just tenting. I see one small loop that is tents only but doesn't seem to be even a washroom closeby let alone showers.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    There are several different campgrounds with showers. We usually stay week nights in Senoia Campground during the spring and fall so there is not much competition for camp sites. We just show up and pick a spot. The loop that you see on the map of Senoia is at the top of a hill and is not waterfront. Here is a pic of the site we stayed at in April. The site was about midway up the hill and is "water view"....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Susquehannock Campground + Allegrippis Trails-789484_orig.jpg  

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by nosilla View Post
    There are several different campgrounds with showers. We usually stay week nights in Senoia Campground during the spring and fall so there is not much competition for camp sites. We just show up and pick a spot. The loop that you see on the map of Senoia is at the top of a hill and is not waterfront. Here is a pic of the site we stayed at in April. The site was about midway up the hill and is "water view"....
    That looks like a nice one! The pics on the reservation site don't do the area justice imo, taken late fall looks like most of the leaves were down already! I will be coming mid week also, but it will be 2nd half of July or 1st week of August. I want to leave the dates wide open so I can plan around the weather, trying to avoid travelling that distance to spend several days riding in the rain. So I'm thinking of maybe reserving only a few days ahead or just taking my chances with not booking and taking whatever is available when I get there. Looks like there is lots of options in the area!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    I have yet to camp at Susquehannok but I think the location is absolutely prime as it is the closest campsite to Hydro Loop. By far my favorite trail!

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkat273 View Post
    I have yet to camp at Susquehannok but I think the location is absolutely prime as it is the closest campsite to Hydro Loop. By far my favorite trail!
    Cool I've been anticipating riding that one

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/376GLiTpi1k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

MTBR Goon
    Nov 2011
    Is there trail access directly from the 7 points camp? I will be up there this weekend and I'm ready to ride.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by scsabol View Post
    Is there trail access directly from the 7 points camp? I will be up there this weekend and I'm ready to ride.
    Yes

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    I'm going camping at Raystown lake at the end of July. I should be able to access the Allegrippis trails from there easily right? Just don't know which bike to bring. My 29er HT or 6" travel Spec Enduro

Members who have read this thread: 2