Super D race at Blue Mountain by PMBA- Mtbr.com
    PMBA

Good job! Super D race at Blue Mountain by PMBA

Itís all about the flow. The new hand cut Super D course at Blue Mountain is near completion. Many riders had a chance to shuttle the new course this weekend and itís getting rave reviews from riders of all levels. ďYou guys from Philly know how to build some trailsĒ was one riders words. Thatís what Super D is all about. Gravity racing for more riders and not just the guys and gals on DH sleds. PMBA is proud to help bring this kind of racing to the area.

This is a new mountain for us riders in the southeastern pa region. And there is tons of potential for more trails. But it all depends on the success of these first events. For many of us this success would equal to top notch gravity trails and a high speed lift right in our back yards. And thatís not all. Miles of XC trails are also part of the overall plan, with the hopes of some XC races as well. Itís only an hour from Philly!

Please join us at the first event of the season on May 30 and 31st. The Super D will take place on the 30th and the Downhill and Dual Slalom events will be happening on the 31st. Pre registration is now open on www.bikereg.com Please spread the word and help to keep this thing rolling.

www.verticalearthpa.com

www.phillymtb.org
    Keep crowded trails friendly. Go by slow and say "hello"
    Tom Coyle www.phillymtb.com

mtbr member
    This sounds really cool. Can you give us a little more info for those of us who are not totally sure what Super D is all about?

-Can I ride the course on a bike with 5" of suspension or do I need a bike with more travel?
    -Do I need full DH gear and full face helmet for the race or just my normal riding gear i.e. gloves, XC style helmet,etc?
    -Would you recommend flats or clipless pedals?
    -Is this a mass start race with different classes or is it a TT style race?

I'm looking forward to coming up there for this event and I hope their's a large turnout. I really want to see Blue Mt. succeed with this so everyone can benefit and ride there in the future. Not just racers.

mtbr member
    Great questions Sparky. I am new to this also but from what I heard, here are my assumptions:

1) You can ride this course on any bike, including hard tails. Meaning there are no DH style drops or jumps, just some rocky sections that will rattle you a little if you are not good at selecting the smooth lines. 5" is plenty of travel for this course and you should be able to float some sections a little easier than if you had a hard tail or less suspension.
    2) It's rocky, and it's downhill, meaning you will be going fast. If you crash, you will wish you had some knee and elbow pads, and probably even a full face helmet. Dress for the crash, not the ride. Anyway, I don't think they have any mandatory gear requirements except a helmet.
    3) Either are good. I run Crank Brothers Mallets all the time whether riding XC or DH. It's personal preference. But Mallets are platforms and I'm not sure if standard narrow pedals are optimal.
    4) The start is a mass hysteria mad dash to your bike, so we might wanna wear some football pads! It's gonna be fun, that's for sure...

I hope that info helps and let's see what Tom and Dan suggest...
    bike = good

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Lou:

For all our "spectator" friends is there a charge to view this great event, and where's the best place to view?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Excelent review Dirt, except its going to be individual starts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kool
    Excelent review Dirt, except its going to be individual starts.
    If this is a fact, I am much happier. Never liked the idea of a mass start.

PMBA
    Awesome questions - thanks Lou for the follow up. Been very busy getting the course ready and I just got back to Philly about an hour ago. I am spent.

You do not need a DH bike for the Super D and a 5 inch travel bike is perfect but you could ride it on any decent mountain bike. There are no crazy drops or gaps of any kind. There is one nice size gap jump at the bottom but it's an option and has a go-around. Biggest thing you must roll off is no higher than a curb. We built some terraces today that fit this description. There are some sections that will keep you on our toes and having pads is a good idea if you plan to push your speeds, but not mandatory. The course allows you to go fast if you wish and has tons of flow. There was a 13 year old kid named Callum from Philly ripping it up on the course this past weekend on his hardtail! He had a great time and the course was not even done yet. He wore pads.

We've been spending a lot of time getting rid of anything that will catch a tire, like "shark tooth" rocks and holes. And we've had some intermediate and beginner level riders lending a hand with not only input but helping us turn some dirt as well. There are harder lines at French Creek and Bear Creek than on this Super D.

I gotta send a BIG shot out to George from Valley Mountain Bikers. George has been laying down some hard hours with us and brings excellent finishing skills to the table. We are stoked to have another local club pitching in to help make this happen.

Yea we are going to have individual starts instead of the mass start. I also do not like mass starts, and Dan from vertical earth agreed to change it. Depending on how many people show up, we will have 30 second or one minute intervals between riders. Hopefully we use 30 seconds because that will mean that a lot of people showed up!

Anybody who wants to be a spectator can get a lift ticket for $5 - not bad.

We have helmet cam footage of the course!!! I don't have the file to share yet, but I'm working on it. Yes we finish each day of building with a shuttle run on the course. It's awesome and the helmet cam footage is pretty sweet!

We have workdays planned for this weekend on Saturday and Sunday if anybody would like to come and help out just let us know and we will put a tool in your hand. Any questions just ask.

Please spread the word on this event so we make another great mountain bike destination in PA. Keep the good times rolling. Thanks everyone for your support!

PMBA
    The first Super D race on a brand new trail is this weekend, Saturday the 30th at Blue Mountain. This trail was sponsored and hand built by PMBA www.phillymtb.org members with help from other volunteers from the region, including folks from VMB http://www.bikevmb.com/ . Come out and see our hard work and do some runs on this very fun and flowy course. Practice is 8-11 and the race will be at 12. For those of you not familiar with gravity racing, it's a time trial race. Best time from top to bottom wins, and the Super D course is designed for folks who are not on DH bikes and there is some pedaling and no black diamond sections, but you can race it on a DH bike if you want to. It’s a great change of pace and a lot of fun for those of us who race XC often.

Register here: http://verticalearthpa.com/pre_-_registration If you register for any event you get a lift ticket for the whole weekend. And spectator lift tickets are also available for $5.

Here is some helmet cam footage taken at the end of one build day. Shows the bottom 3/4 of the course after the big climb. I'm on camera and I'm following George from VMB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EydOkNYedek

smartass
    How long (minutes, approximately) is the Super D? And how much climbing is involved?

Thanks!
    Matt

PMBA
    Time on the Super D will be somewhere in the 8-10 minute range. If you are pinning it, you may be able to get under 8 minutes. There is really only one big climb, and it's on a fireroad near the beginning of the course, get that out of the way and all of the singletrack is flowy downhill with short grade reversals here and there, and the bottom of the course is wide open and fast with berms. At the very last section of the course leading to the finish it's straight, smooth and fast, easily possible to run out of gears if you are pedaling into it.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Now don't get me wrong...but I'm thinking of some of the downsides to a Super-D race.

What are the downsides to riding a full on DH rig? Seems like there would only be advantages unless there are places where pedal efficiency would overcome momentum.

I'm just looking at my 5 inch All Mountain bike and thinking "it doesn't decend as well as a DH Bike and it doesn't climb as well as a hard tail" ...and I think you'd want something like a full suspension 29er to do well in Super-D.

Any input on bike selection?

PMBA
    Hard to give that kind of advice. All depends on the rider and what you feel more comfortable on. Anybody can win it on any bike if they've got the skillz.

Pre-registration closes Thursday night. Help support local grass roots racing on this new venue and register now.

http://verticalearthpa.com/pre_-_registration

mtbr member
    So where have the results been posted???

AllDayinPA
    Just posted on the site fireball

Members who have read this thread: 0