Chilling out

Sunday Winter Weekly at Roaring Creek ... 2017/12/03 through ???

This time of year is not my best time of year for riding so I'm putting this out mostly to push myself out the door, but it's an open public space so of course if there happens to be others present to share the time with that's probably good ... so ... I decided to start riding at Roaring Creek weekly on Sunday, for a while anyway.

Feel free to join in, or not.

If you come out, be prepared to be out for about 2 1/2 hours, give or take. The last two times I've ridden I logged about 17 miles each time - which includes 6 on the forest road to return to the start and about 1.5 on the shoulder of Hwy 42 at the beginning.

Here's what else I have to say about this ...

Ride will not go if any rain or significant frozen precipitation (over 2" snow or any accumulated ice) forecast from 9am to 4pm day-of.
    Ride will not go if more than 4" accumulated snow on the ground.
    Ride will not go if more than 1.5" of rain in previous 48 hours, I've no intention of riding sloppy crap - I don't enjoy it.
    Also, ride will not go if wind-chill puts temps below 20F pretty much at any time. Yeah, I'm a pansy, get over it.

Parking location : 40.836184, -76.355215 - upper lot by the pit toilet. This is the parking area off Hwy 42 at the bottom of the hill coming from Aristes.

Feet in Pedals at 11am, I will not wait after that to start, unless I'm having a biological emergency. Catch me on the climb of Hwy 42 to the top if you're late (it should not be challenging)!

Loop starts with extended road climb to warm up going up the shoulder of Hwy 42 then targets singletrack until eventual forest road return to parking. Singletrack route will vary week to week - there's a lot to explore here. The "backbone" of the singletrack is the Big Mountain Trail (red blaze).

Note that on top of the ridge cell phone service is possible, seems okay with Verizon, but no promises. And forget it down in the valley, nobody has any that I am aware of.

Nominal loop will be 16 miles, may be significantly more, it just depends.

Pace mostly social but minimal stopping - no cool down time allowed! If I get too cooled down I can't warm up again, very frustrating.

I will be doing this at *least* through December, likely further, depending upon conditions.

Exceptions:
    - no ride Dec 24th or Dec 31st as I will be out of state.

Rolling on 650b
    How are the trails since the snow earlier this week? Ridable?

Chilling out
    Agreed, would be nice to know.

Rolling on 650b
    Going to give it a try tomorrow morning @ 9:30 from the forest office. I'll let you know how it goes.

Rolling on 650b
    Still a good 5+ inches on the singletrack. Nothing ridden in on the Aristes side yet. Did the 8mile road.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    There was a lot of ppl out on them in Natalie both biking and cross country skiing. They were rideable and fun on a fat bike although they were starting to get sloppy and slick when it warmed up.

Chilling out
    thanks all, i got called into work today so couldn't get out. ;^(

Chilling out
    I'll be out Saturday 1/27 at 11am instead of Sunday, so I can go to Sickler's Worst Day Of The Year ride at Lackawanna SP (assuming weather doesn't kill it and everyone just goes to the tavern).

Chilling out
    After reported 5" frozen last week, this week wonderful conditions (unless you're wanting to ride fat on snow, or ski) ... basically nothing frozen there and very little wet across the ridge.