Suggested Rothrock loop- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Suggested Rothrock loop

Me and a couple friends were thinking of hitting up Rothrock on Thursday morning before heading to Raystown for Dirt Fest. Can anyone suggest a 3-4 hour loop to hit up? Since we will be doing a lot of riding that weekend we don't want to kill ourselves on Thursday. Thanks all.

Chilling out
    Do the 1st half of the Rothrock Trailmix, or the 2nd, just not both.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7013171

1st half - great ridge stuff early on; stupid fun downhill from the tower at the top, easy dirt road recovery before finishing down longaberger

2nd half - tussey mtn ridge ... just super ... return via John Wert ... kinda PITA but better than the road but a long shot

Either case, you can park at Bear Meadows instead of the bottom if you want.

eci
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Do the 1st half of the Rothrock Trailmix, or the 2nd, just not both.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7013171

1st half - great ridge stuff early on; stupid fun downhill from the tower at the top, easy dirt road recovery before finishing down longaberger

2nd half - tussey mtn ridge ... just super ... return via John Wert ... kinda PITA but better than the road but a long shot

Either case, you can park at Bear Meadows instead of the bottom if you want.
    What he said

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What side of Rothrock were you looking to ride? Coopers Gap (Milroy/Reedsville) or Galbraith Gap (State College)? Great loops can be put together at either trailhead. FYI - unless you are the caliber of rider that does TSE (Transylvania Epic) stages, there are no basic/simple 3-4 hour rides in Rothrock, unless you ride really slow. 3-4 hours equates to 25-35 miles of riding, going up and over 3-4 ridges, mixing singletrack with gravel roads and doubletrack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    We did the same thing a few years ago. Rode RR Friday and then Dirtfest Saturday. I couldn't tell you want we rode exactly other than the Coopers Gap side and it was in the neighborhood of 3 hours (I was with friends that knew the routes). I was pretty spent the next day at Raystown....two totally different riding styles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    We'll be staying in state college Wednesday night, but if cooper's gap is on the way and has better trails that's fine. Definitely don't want to be laying out 20+ miles. Was looking for something around 10-15 I guess.

Chilling out
    Coopers is opposite State College, across the ridge-lines on the SE side of the forest, so harder to get to than the Trailmix stuff.

Either Coopers Gap side or Trailmix side you can abbreviate to keep the distance in check, just get your maps either digitally ( MTBProject or Trailforks ) or paper ( Purple Lizard maps available at bike shops in State College last I heard ), or preferably both. ;^)

Coopers Gap on MTBProject : https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/3965780

Likewise on Trailforks : https://www.trailforks.com/region/coopers-gap/

Both the apps on a smartphone will give you a live map, helpful but download the map data before heading out as coverage in the forest is spotty at best ( I usually put my phone in airplane mode when riding in RR ).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A fun moderate loop out of the Galbraith Gap trailhead is Tussey Mtn. with the option of adding in Longberger. From the lot, head up the paved road 2.5-3 miles. On the way up, look for Camp road about .5 mile up on the left. That's where the loop will dump you out at. Stay on the paved road. At about 2 miles up it turns to gravel. Once you reach a small parking area on the right, look for the start of the Tussey Mtn. trail on the left hand side of the road. Head up Tussey Mtn. trail. It's about 4 miles or so of classic Central PA ridge riding. Their are a few smaller hiking trails dropping off the ridge, but stay straight. The trail crosses a gas line clearing. In about another .25 - .5 miles you'll reach a beer tap bolted down to stump at an intersection. This is the end of the trail. Turn left and head down the ridge. Cross the gas line again. Trail will dump you out at the end of gravel road (Camp Rd.). Take the road down about a mile to the paved road. Turn right to get back to the car, turn left if you want to add some more miles. Ride the road again up to the same gravel lot. At the lot turn right, go around the gate, and head down the narrow gravel path. 100 yards down on the right you'll hit Upper Longberger. Ride Upper for about 1/2 - 3/4 mile. You'll come to a 'T' intersection. Hang a left onto Longberger. This continues 3-4 miles. Towards the end you'll ride over (not around) a rock bridge. Hang a right. This will take you down to the road. Cross the road, pick up the trail on the other side, this will take you down to the paved road. Hang a left and you'll be at the parking lot in 1/8 mile. Overall mileage for this would be around 15 miles. Nothing too strenuous as no big climbs. Give a shot and post up your thoughts if you do ride it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks for the info guys, this all should be of help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Just got back from 2 days of riding out there. I'm not from there so I can't be accurate about things but I can say that we did the Tussey Mt side on Friday and it was fun and challenging (lot a chunk) if I don't get back there until next year I'd be OK with that, lol.

Coopers Gap on the other hand which we did on Saturday was some of the best riding I've done in a while. A lot of fun, a lot. We had a local guy lead us around (which I suggest) and he did a fantastic job. Looking forward to getting back out there for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Looking closer since its only about a week away I saw the Rothrock Trailmix Short Course and the Bald Know & Laurels Loop featured rides on MTB Project. These both look like the might be good options; trailmix was mentioned several times above.