State Parks Closing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

State Parks Closing

Heard on the news that our great state will be closing Lin Run, Laurel Mtn and Yellow Creek State Parks. All places where I ride, boat and fish... So what does this mean ? Stay out or does it mean no up keep or what ? Ticks me off !! Money must have been spent on saving a bank or auto maker !!!! Seriously if they close the state park property are sign for no tresspassing going up when some douche land developer moves in ?

the unvarnished nonsense
    That's "might be" closing. Mainly facilities like swimming pools, restaurants, visitor centers, bathrooms, etc. Trails would still be accessible. Read some facts about the possible closures here: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09148/973337-113.stm
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Yep

GOP = Grand "OLD" Politicians!

mtbr member
    Wow, the parks are closing facilities because they are broke. Big surprise. Fortunately, us mountain bikers don't need anyone to help us enjoy the trails we love, and we will continue to do the required maintenance these trails need becuase, guess what, we were the main group of people that were performing such maintenance anyway! Think about it: we are a self sustainable trail user group. This is our land and we love it and care for it.
    bike = good

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    I wonder if this means areas we are not allowed (ie Roaring Run in forbes state forest) might be reinstated to MTB use. IF so I am for closure.

Pennsylvania home brew
    I guess you know the economy is really in the toilet when the state threatens to close their parks. Thanks Rendell, your the best.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel-City
    I guess you know the economy is really in the toilet when the state threatens to close their parks. Thanks Rendell, your the best.
    Actually read the linked article. This is from the GOP budget. Rendells' budget has cuts to the DCNR but won't require closings.

This paragraph caught my eyes
    "Responding to a Republican suggestion to raise money for department operations by leasing more state forest land for oil and gas drilling, the letter states it will consider future lease sales if they would not jeopardize the state forests' sustainability certification. More than 660,000 acres of state forest are leased for oil and gas exploration and the revenue was used not for forests and parks funding but to cover part of this year's general fund deficit."
    Read more: "State lists 50 parks that could close under GOP budget plan" - http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09148...xzz0GqzOTIYI&A

So the GOP plan cuts money to operate the parks and forests for public use, and conservation. Then they turn around and ask the DCNR to allow more destructive uses of the public land by private corporations. Classic.
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

mtbr member
    That sucks. I ride laurel mountain almost every week. But as long as the trails stay open I can defiantly deal with not having a bathroom. Actually, it might be a good thing for the park. They've been sanitizing a lot of trails up there with log paths covered in straw and gravel. Maybe a smaller budget will stop the installation of smooth walking paths where a technical trail used to be.

"I wonder if this means areas we are not allowed (ie Roaring Run in forbes state forest) might be reinstated to MTB use. IF so I am for closure."]
    I doubt it. But I wish roaring run was open to bikes. There's tons of great singletrack back there.
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

mtbr member
    I just got some more information about this and apparently there are 50 parks they propose closing, which include Blue Knob and Yellow Creek. Supposedly it will also include the closure of several State forest roads.

Seems like this is bad news overall!

I bike long tyme.
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA
    I wonder if this means areas we are not allowed (ie Roaring Run in forbes state forest) might be reinstated to MTB use. IF so I am for closure.

I would LOVE to see Roaring Run opened back up. One of my favorite xc rides hands-down.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Is Roaring Run the trail that helixes down a long hill crossing a small stream over and over? I rode this about 15 years back and the guys I was with called it "33", apparently for the number of creek crossings. Long slog of a climb to get back out. Looks like its in the area of Forbes when I look at the map. Seem to remember passing an old cemetery along the way.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

HopHeads, Unite!

Read this and take action.

Story at this link:

http://www.publicopiniononline.com/l...ws/ci_12465829

DCNR Press release here:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us:80/news/...20-budget.aspx

Here's where you can find out who your rep and senator are.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/

Nutshell: Part of Senate Bill 850 is a proposal to close 35 PA State Parks as part of budget cuts. Also included is the possible closure of roughly 1000 miles of State Forest Roads. As people who recreate outside and often in PA's public lands, please write to your representatives and tell them you oppose this move.

Public lands should remain open and available to the public. Don't let a handful of politicians decide their fate.

Don't sit on the sidelines and think this couldn't possibly happen. If people don't tell the politicians they oppose this, that will be taken as though no one cares. If no one cares, we'll lose access to OUR public lands.

Don't let OUR public lands start to be playgrounds for private companies. What's the best thing to do with a closed state park? Sell it to a private company as a resort. It's been attempted before at Prince Gallitzin SP.

If 1,000 miles of forest roads are closed, who do you think will be the only ones to get in? Logging companies, that's who. F them and the politicians who came up with this idea.

Fight the Man. Send emails. Send it to your clubs.

There's a park on the list near you. I guarantee.

Here's the whole list.

The hit list
    Pennsylvania State Parks identified for possible closure
    Parks '08 attendance
    Bendigo 35,669
    Elk 20,958
    Kinzua Bridge 44,433
    Blue Knob 431,738
    Clear Creek 136,702
    Colonel Denning 61,864
    Fowlers Hollow 30,325
    Big Spring Delaware Canal
    (Black Eddy ONLY) 521,080
    Ralph Stover 200,077
    Evansburg 661,143
    Greenwood Furnace 199,607
    Penn Roosevelt 37,637
    Whipple Dam 102,528
    Kettle Creek 97,179
    Ole Bull 82,444
    Linn Run 195,950
    Laurel Summit 23,223
    Laurel Mountain 43,229
    Little Pine 107,680
    Hyner Run 63,350
    Hyner View 36,070
    Upper Pine Bottom 1,085
    Memorial Lake 155,599
    Swatara 64,639
    M K Goddard 209,570
    Mt Pisgah 64,076
    Oil Creek 124,364
    RB Winter 138,103
    McCalls Dam 2,446
    Sand Bridge 17,513
    Ravensburg 30,413
    Reeds Gap 64,450
    Poe Paddy 38,135
    Poe Valley 1,523
    Ryerson Station 44,230
    Sizerville 103,677
    Tobyhanna 203,611
    Gouldsboro 89,289
    Big Pocono 112,591
    Yellow Creek 203,053
    White Clay 68,040
    Norristown
    Warriors Path 38,017
    Trough Creek 61,252
    Prompton 13,750
    Salt Spring 30,682
    Archbald Pothole 38,205
    Sam Lewis 117,357
    Erie Bluffs Central & Regional Offices
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

HopHeads, Unite!
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA
    Wow, that's amazingly shortsighted.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugboot
    Wow, that's amazingly shortsighted.
    It is...

now that I realize the real issue would be logging companies and Oil/natural gas companies I think I am showing up the June 1st and stating my case.

HopHeads, Unite!
    If the public can't access their own lands, who's going to keep tabs on what the politicians are doing with our resource?

mtbr member
    My email is on the way to Sen. Alloway.

mtbr member
    Senator Wozniak should now be receiving my email!

After thinking this over, this could be very very bad for the Laurel Highlands area where I reside. These parks are probably the only tourist draw in the area, and also probably help keep local cycling and other outdoor shops in business. I suspect this move would have more widespread consequences than they anticipate.

Pennsylvania home brew
    Quote Originally Posted by dascro
    Senator Wozniak should now be receiving my email!

After thinking this over, this could be very very bad for the Laurel Highlands area where I reside. These parks are probably the only tourist draw in the area, and also probably help keep local cycling and other outdoor shops in business. I suspect this move would have more widespread consequences than they anticipate.
    Agreed and an excellent good point. My email will be sent this weekend.

It kills me that one of the "free" things that people do during such bad economic times, could be taken away.

Nice no rass
    Quote Originally Posted by davis
    Is Roaring Run the trail that helixes down a long hill crossing a small stream over and over? I rode this about 15 years back and the guys I was with called it "33", apparently for the number of creek crossings. Long slog of a climb to get back out. Looks like its in the area of Forbes when I look at the map. Seem to remember passing an old cemetery along the way.
    Yes, that trail is called 33 Crossings. It is the reason the entire RR area was closed to bikers. If you ask me the DCNR was too lazy to just close that trail and enforce it. There's tons of other great trails there that do not disturb the trout in the stream or even come near the stream.

It's really sad that the entire area has been shut down to biking.

You should hook up with us some time at Laurel. We ride there nearly every weekend. Sometimes it's just 3 of us, other times it's as many as 12+.

Members who have read this thread: 0