SS in SE PA- Mtbr.com

Thread: SS in SE PA

AKA; Jimmy Tango

SS in SE PA

I live in Lancaster and I am relatively unfamiliar with the trails in SE PA. Last week I rode Rocky Ridge on my SS and liked it, on Sunday I rode around the lakes in York on my FS geared bike, really muddy. I am a reborn bike, been back on the bikes for a year now. I got married in the interim of not riding, please imagine the damage I did to my body. So yes I am in poor shape as far as MTB goes. I want to go for a SS ride on sat, I live in Lancaster. What would you suggest? White Clay Creek? French Creek, prob not though, I heard it is very technical. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by gop427
    I live in Lancaster and I am relatively unfamiliar with the trails in SE PA. Last week I rode Rocky Ridge on my SS and liked it, on Sunday I rode around the lakes in York on my FS geared bike, really muddy. I am a reborn bike, been back on the bikes for a year now. I got married in the interim of not riding, please imagine the damage I did to my body. So yes I am in poor shape as far as MTB goes. I want to go for a SS ride on sat, I live in Lancaster. What would you suggest? White Clay Creek? French Creek, prob not though, I heard it is very technical. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    At french creek, the technical aspect isn't your primary concern on a SS - it's the hills. Yeah, it's rocky, but it's perfectly rideable on a hardtail (even a rigid one, if you're a glutton for punishment). The bigger problem is all of the climbs. Some *might* be rideable w/ a 2:1 ratio, but the longer/steeper ones will really, really hurt.

I'd try Blue Marsh Lake (near Reading) first, if I were you.
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Freshly Fujified

Ride length an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Stick

I'd try Blue Marsh Lake (near Reading) first, if I were you.
    Never been to Blue Marsh, but one of the reasons I hesitate is my perception of the length of the ride. From the reviews and posts I've read, you're committed to a 20+mile ride before you can bail. If the rider is out of shape this might be an issue. Is my read on this correct, or are there multiple bailout points on the trail?

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Never been to Blue Marsh, but one of the reasons I hesitate is my perception of the length of the ride. From the reviews and posts I've read, you're committed to a 20+mile ride before you can bail. If the rider is out of shape this might be an issue. Is my read on this correct, or are there multiple bailout points on the trail?

Bob
    You're right - it's a long ride, if you don't want to double-back. But, really, it depends on where you start. I generally start and finish at the stilling basin lot, doing the full 30 mi.

However, from the Church Rd parking area, he could ride a loop from mile marker ~ 15 to 21. Granted, there are at least 2 large hills that may be unrideable on a single speed, but it'd be a decent 6 mi +/- ride otherwise.

Or:

From the Stilling Basin (mile 0) to Church Rd = roughly 15 miles on the trail. Most of the more difficult hills are between mile markers 16 and 30. From church rd back to the stilling basin is about 6 relatively easy (though uphill at times) miles on the road.

I guess I was thinking more about doing some short out-and-back rides first, building up to the point where he could attempt the whole loop.
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    If you do the main 20+ loop there are no bail-out points unless you back track. The trail roughly follows the perimeter of the lake.

You could opt to do the ski resort loop at the end of the lake. It is much shorter, I think it's about 7 miles? This would be an shorter alternative and you can do a single loop with out back tracking. There are a few steep climbs and some fast flats. There's a parking lot near the bridge that makes for a good starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde

Bob

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    ot of anyplace i ever ode on a singlespeed whiteclay is undoubtedly the easiest. no big hills, really nice smooth fast trails! the problem there is unless you know how to hook it all together, the individual loops are pretty short. i usually park at middlerun and ride those trails out to hook up with the whiteclay loops.

fairhill is really nice too for singlespeeds too!

the good thing about french creek is: if you manage to learn to ride your singlespeed well there your good to go just about anywhere. i do it, it's fun but it does require some uphill walking (for me at least).

Freshly Fujified

Thx Stick & retox

Quote Originally Posted by retox
    If you do the main 20+ loop there are no bail-out points unless you back track. The trail roughly follows the perimeter of the lake.

You could opt to do the ski resort loop at the end of the lake. It is much shorter, I think it's about 7 miles? This would be an shorter alternative and you can do a single loop with out back tracking. There are a few steep climbs and some fast flats. There's a parking lot near the bridge that makes for a good starting point.
    I thought this was the case, and didn't want the OP making the trip without knowing what they were in for. Great place to ride from all accounts, just need to know how to tailor the ride to your needs, and you guys have just told us how to do that.

Thanks again.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Blue Marsh

I live 2 miles away and have not been riding there since november. With all of the rain we've been having the trails are really wet and muddy, and since the dirt is clay based mud accumulation and trail damage is an issue right now IMO.

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004

Wondering about your trails

I'm thinking of taking a road trip , how are your trails , can they be ridden in late feb or are you having the same problem as us upstate New yorkers are, (snow and cold). I'm looking for long rides with technical single track that can be ridden on a hard tail.

Members who have read this thread: 0