Spring Mt. Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Spring Mt. Question

I rode Spring Mt for the first time and was told by a local that it is public land that
    is leased by the ski folks from a certain date to a certain date.
    Anybody know when they take over? I plan on riding there again this Thurs 11/10
    but don't want to waste a trip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You can always call Sprint Mt and ask them, ... I believe they're the same people who oewn the Buckman's Ski Shops in the Phily area.

Secondly, also try Montgomery County, it sounds like it's county land, ... www.montcopa.org

P.S: I'm guessing a definite connection in what you say, as some of the people who own Buckman's are/were heavily involved in Montgomery County politics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks, I'll give them a call. If anyone wants to join me thurs for some freeriding that
    would be cool, Spring Mt or Reading (Mt Penn Firetower).

Dirt Whore
    I usually ride the cross country trails about 2 to 3 times a week, rode there Sunday, last week when i rode they were working on the lifts, no one seemed to care, infact all summer no one said a word to me. I assume untill they start making snow they really will not care.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    When I was there last week a guy was painting the lifts and joked to me about pushing my bike up the hill.
    The local I met showed me the terrain park trail with the ladder drop into a mini bowl type thing, lots of fun. I want to explore more of the freeride trails this time, although it is hard to see trails you aren't familiar with when they are covered in leaves.

Respect Your Trails
    Yeah, on top of the leaves, there trails are not quite as clear as they used to be. Also be careful on some of the ladders and man-made stuff. As always, look before leaping because the upkeep on that stuff isn't what it used to be.

As far as I know, you can ride there whenever you want.....though there is one trail down the back (it branches off the cross country route) that is actually on private property and the owner doesn't like treaspassing at all. And there is a nature conservancy group that is protecting some bird species who get pretty offensive about the land. Basically just be respectful and ride what is meant to be ridden.

Tons of natural rock bump jumps, boulder riding and downed logs up there. Good stuff. And that ladder drop into the mini bowl is awesome, but it did a number on my rear wheel last year.

Quote Originally Posted by BikenBrew
    When I was there last week a guy was painting the lifts and joked to me about pushing my bike up the hill.
    The local I met showed me the terrain park trail with the ladder drop into a mini bowl type thing, lots of fun. I want to explore more of the freeride trails this time, although it is hard to see trails you aren't familiar with when they are covered in leaves.

Go for the throat
    Where exactly is Spring Mtn.? Would it be worth taking a heavy freeride bike there?

Hoopy Frood

Spring Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by JD Risk
    Where exactly is Spring Mtn.? Would it be worth taking a heavy freeride bike there?
    Here's their website:

http://www.springmountain-fun.com/

No idea about the type of bike or terrain available as I've never ridden there.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

Respect Your Trails
    I guess that depends.... check out the link that was posted for directions. If it is more than an hour drive, maybe not worth it. But if you can get over there in good time, it is one of the only "downhill" set ups I know of in the immediate area. And you can get in a few hours of riding as long as you don't mind hike and bike with your big rig. I have friends who ride the whole thing on hardtails. So a full on downhill isn't necessary. I wouldn't have visions of sugar plums, and BC style hits dancing in your head. Besides the XC loop, its rock gardens, and large boulders with log rides and small ladders here and there.

Dirt Whore
    Here are some pics i took this summer. I rode there today and with all of thye leaves the trails are a bit hard to find, you probably need some one to show we where all of the cool stuff is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I felt like it was worth it considering Diablo is now closed for the season and there were quite a few nice drops to be found on my first trip there.
    If anyone is up for it I'm either going to Spring Mt or Reading tomorrow anytime.
    Reading is just as fun and can be shuttled. I'm actually leaning toward Reading because it's closer to me and I know the trails.

Go for the throat
    Quote Originally Posted by BikenBrew
    I felt like it was worth it considering Diablo is now closed for the season and there were quite a few nice drops to be found on my first trip there.
    If anyone is up for it I'm either going to Spring Mt or Reading tomorrow anytime.
    Reading is just as fun and can be shuttled. I'm actually leaning toward Reading because it's closer to me and I know the trails.
    I'd like to try Reading one of these weekends. I saw the videos on the Reading Racing web site and it looks pretty cool. Are there many other trails besides what can be seen on the videos.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'd like to try Reading one of these weekends. I saw the videos on the Reading Racing web site and it looks pretty cool. Are there many other trails besides what can be seen on the videos.
    There are a lot of fun trails on the back side of the Mt (opposite side of the Race course) There is one section called the network that has tons of rock drops. That whole hill is a blast with a variety of DH/Freeride type stuff. I live in Lancaster so it is only an hour away. Let me know if you check it out sometime.

Members who have read this thread: 0