Southeast PA Night Riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Southeast PA Night Riding

Anybody have a list or info on areas where you can night ride in SEPA? I know Wiss allows it. What about Harmony Hill? - I heard that it does, but didn't want to go on hearsay.

Thanks.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    if you REALLY want to follow the rules wiss did enact an incredibly stupid curfew the past few years alleging you can't ride between 8pm and 6am all winter due to deer culling.

but just like the permit system they made a rule without any enforcemnt so go and ride they'll never stop you... but be warned if you do see a ranger he will try and yell at you (i have seen one in the three years since this idiocy started riding up wises mill late one night coming home from work, he was with the shooters driving the road coming at me so i guess he was a little understandably upset when a bike came rolling through).

i have asked plenty of folks how they have the authority to shut the park all night all winter all of a sudden and no one seems to know how or why they started doing this. in years before they tried the total winter ban the curfew was for like 2 months... then a couple years back all of a sudden they switched it to pretty much all winter. if you go ride wiss, look around you'll probably see the signs (but they are not everywhere).

As to the other philly parks i believe pennypack is A-OK and i know no one will stop you at belmont but you'd need to be pretty brave to ride that place at night alone (i do it with a group all the time though).

mtbr member
    Thanks. I didn't realize its an all winter ban and thought it was a couple months as it had always been. I'll take my chances riding b/t 6 and 8pm is probably too early for them to be culling and since they are professional hunters, the almost 2000 lumens I throw won't be mistaken for bambi.

You know anywhere outside the City? I moved last year. If you live in riding distance to the Wiss, don't take if for granted. I hate having to put the bike on the car and drive to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i think the wiss curfew is 8PM-6AM. i SERIOUSLY doubt they start shootin till about 10.

as for spots outside the city i am only really knowledgeable of the chester county area. The places I can think of where night riding is OK is marsh creek and those downingtown trails near the old sunoco property (forget the official name).

i used to ride valley forge at night all the time (no more illegal than it is during the day). careful parking though; as here are lots that close at dark.

mtbr member
    I night ride at Nockamixon. Not sure if it's 100% legal but I've never had an issue. Anyone ever have more serious issues nightriding Wiss? I'm not worried about the 5-0.

mtbr member
    I know there are several groups that ride harmony hill at night, I believe they meet at lowriders bike shop in downingtown, I'll have to check with my buddy as I believe he rides with them sometimes.

PA
    There are night rides every Tuesday at Swatara state park. More central PA than SE, but not too far off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Night riding any of the parks is not really "legal" as they technically close at sunset. But once the gates are closed, at least at my local park, the rangers go home. I've been taking it easy after work due to some elbow issues, but when I'm feeling good, I'll be going into the local park with the light. Not sure what you define as SEPA, but Trexler is open to night riding also.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    We have ridden GLP at night for years without an issue, I assume if we run in to a ranger they will tell us it is illegal. I am riding 3 nights a week right now after 8 and have not seen a person.

bigger than you.
    you can probably get away with riding at Betzwood, but stay clear of cars in the lot that are backed in their spots, unless you're into that sort of thing, #NTTAWWT

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Just got back from a night ride at Green Lane Park, did the full loop around the resivoir. It's a whole different sensation to ride it in the dark. Nobody bothered us. Only my second time out with the light, it sure is fun!
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by glorth2 View Post
    Anyone ever have more serious issues nightriding Wiss? I'm not worried about the 5-0.
    only other people i have come across in my years nightriding wiss are highschool kids partying in the woods. they are more scared of you than you are of them (probably because they think your the cops). honestly there aren't any ghetto areas directly around the wiss anymore so there really shouldn't be much scary sh!t going on in the woods at night... That said i do feel safer riding with someone but definitely it won't keep me from going out solo if i need a ride.

mtbr member
    I have to agree. Not from night riding, but I often run the trails after dark and the last few winters I XC skied in there at night. I rarely see anybody, other some kids partying once in a while. Same as Max though, you get this kind of creepy zombie movie feel being back there by yourself at night with nobody around. Also, that said, if you are female, use your head and don't go in there alone. More than a few times, I've run across cute college age girls running the upper trails with headphones on - just not smart to do day or night. Its still a wooded area in a major city.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Its not in PA but it's close... We night ride at Brandywine/Woodlawn.... Parts are technically in PA. I tend to park outside the lots though they often don't close the Woodlawn lots after sunset, but I've always been afraid of getting my car locked in.....