Ski-Biking in Mountaintop!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ski-Biking in Mountaintop!!

After snow-tubing and ski-biking on the levee yesterday, Lisa, her brother Rich and myself decided to try and conquer a mountain rather than just the levee. So today we carried the ski-bikes all the way up to the top of Rollercoaster and let gravity take care of the rest. Here are a few photos, but a super-awesome video will be following shortly.

Thumbnails are clickable.

mtbr member

Hey that looks like it was fun!

We saw snow bikers today.......now ski bikers! RollerCoasterSayWut must have been a fun run! SlowDave has a ski bike but have not tried it yet. Thanks for posting the pics. Glide on!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Nice!

mtbr member
    Here's the super-awesome video that I promised:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-TbcYfVblrg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ski-bike! Way cool! Nice video. It made me wish I kept that old set of skis I got rid of. I could have fabricated myself one of these suckers. Looks like lots of fun.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

I'll have to bust out some pics of mine...

...haven't had it out in a few years, bolted onto a FS rig = Fun Fun Fun

I have to find some more billet aluminum to make another set of mounts for my other frame, always good to take a friend along...

Are those Ski-MX mounts? I love them with the recoil springs! A little pricey at almost 500 bucks, with no ski areas allowing skibikes close to home to use them at. I would be afriad to use good skis on trails though, too many rocks!

mtbr member
    I actually found that yellow bike exactly as you see it at the Circle Drive-In flea market two summers ago for $15. Then, this past summer the same sellers had a pair of the triangles and two sets of foot pegs for $5 (!!!) I couldn't believe it either - a complete conversion kit plus an extra set of foot pegs for five bucks. And yes, they are the fancy aluminum jobbers with the springs however there are several youtube videos of home-builts that look like they wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate. I'd like to build at least a couple more - and find some more long downhills to use them on.

mtbr member
    Been meaning to make one of these for a while. I had an old DH frame and skis, just need to find a fork for it. Not sure how much suspension would help for ski biking. Debating on fabricaticion vs trying to source cheap parts. I really don't want to spend much on one of these things given to NEPA's bizarre weather, and ski resort policies.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by krazcustoms View Post
    I actually found that yellow bike exactly as you see it at the Circle Drive-In flea market two summers ago for $15. Then, this past summer the same sellers had a pair of the triangles and two sets of foot pegs for $5 (!!!) I couldn't believe it either - a complete conversion kit plus an extra set of foot pegs for five bucks. And yes, they are the fancy aluminum jobbers with the springs however there are several youtube videos of home-builts that look like they wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate. I'd like to build at least a couple more - and find some more long downhills to use them on.
    Good deals, and yes I have built them without the recoil spring by using limiter straps, but the spring set up just looks cleaner. You need something from allowing the skis to flip in case air is achieved like going off a jump they won't fold under.

The manufacturers use a billet rather than plate and weld/rivet method which I have used in the past. Another big problem with the front ski, is the caster changes with the radius of the turned ski. I have a prototype for my Ski Moto with a linkage from an old moto rear suspension linkage that cures this problem.

Footpegs are easy to make out of old moto pegs laying around or can be bought cheap. One set of skis I have on my FS rig I made for free, aluminum from an old road sign, skis from a yard sale, footpegs from old scrapped Moto frame... bolts, nuts, rivets, my labor at 5 cents an hour drilling, fitting was worth the profit of FUN! My idea was I'm just going to destroy these, so why spend on good products.

Full suspension is good if your chairlifting and jumping or dropping off stuff, rigid is good if you use an aluminum bike frame and make it light to carry on trail rides with portage sections.

Just my little story
    now we need more snow again
    Good stuff...
    ...ski on!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke View Post
    Been meaning to make one of these for a while. I had an old DH frame and skis, just need to find a fork for it. Not sure how much suspension would help for ski biking. Debating on fabricaticion vs trying to source cheap parts. I really don't want to spend much on one of these things given to NEPA's bizarre weather, and ski resort policies.
    Based on my minimal experience with these, I would say full suspension wouldn't make much of a difference since the snow kinda smooths things out naturally. Maybe if you're going to do big drops or stuff like that.....

Also, very cheap or free skis are all over the place in the spring/summer months. I saw a set for 90 cents at the Plymouth Thrift Shop in the fall, but it was already after I found a set for free at a yard sale.

mtbr member
    Very cool!