Seeking Tire Recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Seeking Tire Recommendations

I live in the York,PA area and am looking for tire recommendations for my 2014 Trek Fuel EX7. I have spent the winter rehabbing and upgrading after purchasing as new old stock in March 2017. Wheels have recently been upgraded to DT Swiss E1700 (25mm internal width). Thinking of trying something from Schwalbe but open to suggestions. Hoping to find a good price on one of the overseas websites.
    Have Minions on my DB Mason and they have worked well, just kinda heavy. Trying to keep the Trek as light as possible.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I race the mass series so I'm all over PA and the surrounding states year after year. Imo the best do it all combo is an ardent front icon back, I usually go 2.4f and 2.25r I get the more sticky compound front and cheaper one for the back and use exo on both but it's probably unnecessary up front. That having been said with the terrible weather we've had recently I'll be running a forekaster 2.35 120 tpi out front for rattling creek. Hope that helps

mtbr member
    The past 2 years I've been running a 3.35" Ikon front and a 2.2" Ikon rear.
    It was a fast rolling setup, but this year I wanted something *slightly* more aggressive. I seem to have luck with Maxxis tires, so I'm trying a 2.4" Ardent front and a 2.25" Ardent Race rear.
    I've only had one decent ride on it so far, but it seems promising.

Note that because of NEPA's rocky trails I only run their EXO line. (I've had 3 sidewall tears, both front and rear, with their non-EXO tires in the past.)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I always thought Specialized had a good tire line that's often overlooked. I have used various combinations of the Butcher, Purgatory, Ground Control, and Slaughter over the years and find them all to be great treads. I can usually walk in my LBS and pick them up for $50 each.
    The cake is a lie.

Chilling out
    I've always found the older Schwalbe tires not worth the while as they fell quickly to the rocky nature of the trail around here, but last Sept I put some Addix compound Nobby Nic 2.6" on my bike (Niner RIP9, 29er wheels) and they've been good, so for a potentially decent general use tire I'd suggest looking at them. They roll well (not as fast as a dedicated race tire though) and the true knobs seem to work well in varying conditions.

I've usually found the Maxxis EXO sidewall tires a good value, they endure the trail here very well, and like these others have said the Ikon works well. I've a ton of miles on the 2.25 and larger Ikon and they pretty much never let me down UNLESS the small knobs were just "not enough." Totally recommended tire. Today, I'd also consider a Rekon for a slightly more aggressive tire, if it's in a size for your bike. I like the extra-sized shoulder knobs and the oh so slightly more aggressive knobs overall vs the Ikon. FWIW, I usually go with the 3C/EXO tire for the front of the bike and the 2C tire for the back, giving a bit more longevity on the rear tire as the 3C compound is a bit softer.

ps. I pretty much only run tubeless setups.

mtbr member
    Diggin' the XR4 front and rear here. I have that on all of my bikes right now.
    Tried a few others (Michelin Wild Gripr, Maxxis Ardent, Continental trail king, the old XR4 [liked it] and something else).
    I keep going back to the new XR4.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Lots of good knowledge. It is appreciated. The XR4ís are currently on sale. May give them a try. I was surprised at the traction from the XR3ís that came stock on the Fuel.
    Last edited by Gratefulshane; 04-04-2018 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gratefulshane View Post
    Looks of good knowledge. It is appreciated. The XR4ís are currently on sale. May give them a try. I was surprised at the traction from the XR3ís that came stock on the Fuel.
    Try them! You have 30 days to ride them and return them for a store credit or exchange if you don't like them!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I loved Panaracer Rampages for a long time, good grip and decent rolling.

But I recently switched to the Bontrager XR4 and am really happy. The XR3s aren't bad either.

In the summer, I will probably do XR4 front XR3 rear.

It's a Trek Fuel EX8

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I've ridden the Jersey, Philly area courses in the 90s and now ride the central PA parks. I get to MAryland and Viginia regularly. I don't think there's a single tire to handle the conditions and seasons. I'm taking a three-four tire approach using mid weight cross country tires from Vittoria.

For winter I'm using a wet conditions tire in front with general purpose tire in the rear. Conditions are hard pack that get slick with snow melt and rain with varying mud from small puddles to long stretches of peanut butter to creak crossings. I want a quick shedding tire. Riding with others who have aggressive all mountain tire I see them getting booged down in mud. I tend to ride one gear lower in slick conditions.

Once the rain stops I hope to switch to all purpose front and back. AS you know conditions when it's dry are mostly hard pack varying from smooth with ocasional roots and rocks to 100% green 1-3 foot wide rocks. I'm erroring on the mid-weight faster rolling tire for at least this season.

If things really dry out I'll move to an even less agressive faster rolling tire on the rear.

I'm not sure of the value of an agressive tire for these trails but many use them. There are patches of loomy sandy soil in Jersey, Maryland and Virginia but the bigger challenges in the York, Harrisburg area are wet, slick trails after rain and large mostly smooth rocks and regular root patches. YMMV

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I was out to Rattling Creek yesterday for a December like ride. The single track is a mostly continuous series of mostly buried rocks where the tips stick out of the hard pack an inch or 5. The midweights did a great job with traction but I can see how plus tires would be beneficial on those types of trails.

The snow mobile trails can be riden on a gravel bike.

That park is killer for fitness.