in search of new trails- Mtbr.com
    Trail eater

in search of new trails

A buddy and I frequent wissahikon and belmont trails alot. We both love riding the single-track and techical stuff that these wonderful parks offer us and the mountain biking community for that fact.
    However I would love to ride some new trails. Are there any other hidden trails close to center city that are easy to get to by bike and or bike/train? would love to hear about them

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by electric mustard
    A buddy and I frequent wissahikon and belmont trails alot. We both love riding the single-track and techical stuff that these wonderful parks offer us and the mountain biking community for that fact.
    However I would love to ride some new trails. Are there any other hidden trails close to center city that are easy to get to by bike and or bike/train? would love to hear about them

The only other place close to the city is pennypack park.

Trail eater
    thanks anand. How far/long does it take to ride out there by bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I think Penny pack would be a pretty good ride from center city, but I've never been.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks anand. How far/long does it take to ride out there by bike?
    Pennypack Park is northeast just outside the city, about 10 miles from Center City. Best, most direct, and probably safest way to go is to ride north on 5th street to Hunting Park Ave. Turn right then left on Rising Sun Ave., take that north all the way to Cottman. Immediately after crossing Cottman bear left and follow Oxford Ave north. Then at your option branch to the right onto Verree Rd. up to the park --- or --- continue up Oxford to Rhawn St. At that intersection go north on Pine Rd. and that takes you to the park. That's where the parking lot is, but of course doesn't matter if you're riding bikes up.

If you frequent Wiss you might think these trails are too easy, but it's singletrack and anything new is fun. I'm fat, old, and out of shape, so for me it's plenty challenging.

Howard

Trail eater
    Cheers twilightzone. Your directions will help us alot. From the directions you gave it sounds like you have riden from center city to pennypack park on numerous occasions-can hardly call you fat or lazy
    We love wiss but your'e right, anything new is always fun-well at least once.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cheers twilightzone. Your directions will help us alot. From the directions you gave it sounds like you have riden from center city to pennypack park on numerous occasions-can hardly call you fat or lazy
    Appreciate the compliment, but actually I've never ridden from cc to pp. Plus I'm still old. I grew up in NE Philly and still live in the metro area (Drexel Hill) so I'm familiar with the city. Actually that's the route of the old #50 trolley which I took a few times in my youth, and I was in that area not long ago taking pictures of what's left of remaining railroad related stuff. I should caution you that once you get a few blocks north of Market Street, you are entering in a less than ideally safe neighborhood--not the worst, but not the best either, so just keep moving. Once you're on Rising Sun and cross maybe Levick Street, it's better and continues to improve as you move north. Have fun and good luck!