Thread: SE PA new guy

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

SE PA new guy

Hey all, just joined a moment ago. Just moved to Phoenixville, PA. Just getting back into riding after 6+ years (26 y/o now). I have a 2014 fuji tahoe 29er, thats basically brand new, also just purchased a 2017 crux. Anyone from the area wanna get together for a small (beginner) ride? Smoked cigarettes for 10 years and havent ridden much, so still kinda slow but in time ill get my speed back.

mtbr member
    Hi and welcome to PA. The weather right now isn't great but I'd be happy to show you around Marsh Creek sometime. There are a bunch of great people riding there.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Welcome!

Great job getting off the cigs...
    ...your world awaits you!

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    If you're ever up in the Quakertown-Ottsville area, I'd be glad to show you around Nockamixon once it dries out and reopens in the spring. Great trail for someone getting into/back into the sport.
    Last edited by Clayncedar; 12-29-2016 at 08:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    where is marsh creek at? and my uncle rides nockamixon all the time on his fatbike/cyclo/mtb. was thinking of going with him when it re-opens

Chilling out
    vito, welcome back!

For "where are" questions you can get lots of info from a couple online directories (I list both because neither has *everything* - dang it).

https://www.mtbproject.com/directory...1/pennsylvania

Pennsylvania Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

Keep the rubber side down!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by vito_motox View Post
    where is marsh creek at? and my uncle rides nockamixon all the time on his fatbike/cyclo/mtb. was thinking of going with him when it re-opens
    Marsh Creek is not far from Exton-Downingtown in Chester County. Very well-designed and maintained overall. Definitely not a wet-weather trail though.

Also there's Green Lane of Route 29 near Pennsburg in Upper Montgomery County. Nice trails but again not a wet weather trail.

mtbr member
    There are some trails right north of Lock 60. You could probably ride there from your house and back.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    There are some trails right north of Lock 60. You could probably ride there from your house and back.
    This is accurate, not the most beginner friendly trail as the majority of it is off camber but I ride there 3-4 times a week as my after work spot. Depending on what part of Phoenixville you live in, the ability also exists to just hop on the SRT and pedal like 3 miles to valley forge and ride all the mtb trails on the betzwood side and pedal back. That is much more beginner friendly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Welcome to the great state!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    There are some trails right north of Lock 60.
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/5824621

wow thanks for the heads up! never knew about those trails. i'll put that into the mental roladex. Might need to head out that way on a roadbike scouting mission first to see what that area is all about.

also twisted cog is a great shop right in town for all your cycling needs. if i lived closer; they'd definitely be my local shop!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    ^^^ Max-a-mill is correct.

Ed, Ryan, and Amy at Twisted Cog are good people. They are the "go to" for any bike needs you may have. Twisted Cog has been an awesome asset to the community since opening.

Also worth noting, the link for mtbproject directs riding the trail in the opposite direction that most folks usually do it. Nothing wrong with doing it that way but running it from lock 60 out to the end and back generally has better flow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks everyone, I have done some trails on lock 60 with my dog following, since its about 2 mins from where i live. I will look at the map that max-a-mill posted and try that route. Anyone know if theres trails around valley forge park? I drive past it and in the way back it looks like there might be some good cyclocross trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yes there are trails in the park that you can ride the paved Schuylkill river trail right from Phoenixville to, or you can drive up and park there. There are a lot of people that ride there, but best bet for finding trails is going to google and typing in "Strava Valley Forge mtb", and then click on the first link. It is not my recorded activity so I did not want to post the link but that shows some of the trails there.

They are fun and flat, no real elevation gain or loss which makes it a great place to start if you are just getting back into the sport.

bigger than you.
    Also, if you want to get multi-modal, here are a list of trails that are accessible by regional rail and a short spin to the trailhead: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...399999997&z=10

Members who have read this thread: 0